The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Ten behind the ball in the return leg me thinks......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gabriel_Hurl

Niall Quinn

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

dec

Anyone know why the return leg is a week later than all the other games

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/champions_league_fixtures/default.stm

Tuesday, 04 March 2008
AC Milan v Arsenal, R1, L2, 19:45
Barcelona v Celtic, R1, L2, 19:45
Man Utd v Lyon, R1, L2, 19:45
Sevilla v Fenerbahce, R1, L2, 19:45

Wednesday, 05 March 2008
Chelsea v Olympiakos, R1, L2, 19:45
FC Porto v Schalke 04, R1, L2, 19:45
Real Madrid v Roma, R1, L2, 19:45

Tuesday, 11 March 2008
Inter Milan v Liverpool, R1, L2, 19:45

Minder

Because AC and Inter are both at home for return legs.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: hardstation on February 19, 2008, 09:49:25 PM
Savage effort with the score call and the names, Gabriel.

imitation = sincerest form of flattery  ;)

gawa316

I see we got the usual credit from those twats on rte. How Souness has the gumption to slag anyone is beyond me.

What was dunphy saying about stephen ireland and some of the other rep players? missed that bit

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteWhat was dunphy saying about stephen ireland and some of the other rep players? missed that bit

Think he said that the Ireland players were as good as the Inter Milan players. Utter nonsense of course. Unfortunately some fans buy into everything he says and it looks like the expectations for Trapattoni are going to be unrealistically high.

Reasonable performance from Liverpool although the very soft sending off was the crucial point in the game. The game was their's after that. Think they may need a goal in Milan particularly if Inter score early.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ONeill

I'm a big fan of Peter Crouch. Again tonight, when he came on, he created havoc in the Inter defence and Liverpool upped their game likewise, knowing that he's always about if a through ball was not an option. He also seems to have more attempts on goal in 20 mins that the entire Liverpool strike-force do in 70. I get the feeling Torres likes him as a partner up front too as he also came alive on Crouch's arrival.

The only think about Peter is that his presence usually means any subtle gameplan is out the window and it's bombs away. That's probably why he cannot be started.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Real Laoislad

As I said before the game.......................

NEVER WRITE LIVERPOOL OFF IN EUROPE

But some fools never listen  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I don't think it matters that Milan had a player sent off,And i admit unfairly sent off,
Inter weren't at the races even with 11 players,and too be honest its often a harder task to score against 10 than 11 as the team with 10 defends more as we saw tonight
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: gawa316 on February 19, 2008, 10:15:32 PM
I see we got the usual credit from those twats on rte. How Souness has the gumption to slag anyone is beyond me.

What was dunphy saying about stephen ireland and some of the other rep players? missed that bit

f**k Dunphy he has never anything good to say about Liverpool even Bill pointed this out tonight..
If United had won tonight he would have been creaming himself
I think Souness was actually the best of them tonight,He was the only one who knew what he was talking about
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

The thing that Dunphy and Giles seem to have a real problem with is that the 'Champions' League is not about finding the best team in Europe. Liverpool are struggling to be the best team on Merseyside at the moment, never mind the best team in England or Europe.

The only way you would find the 'best team in Europe' is either a) Return the competition to only allowing national Champions to enter, or b) Make it into a straight league competition, with the team at the top at the end crowned Champions.

At the moment, the Champion's League is a glorified Cup competition, albeit with millions of pounds to be had as well.

Liverpool, on their night and with a full team, can play with anybody. Their problem is, and has been for about 15 years now, is consistancy. Play well against Chelsea, rubbish against Barnsley, well against Inter, rubbish against Boro etc etc. That is no way to win a league title.

However, in a series of knockout ties, which Liverpool have essentially been in since they lost to Besiktas over in turkey, Liverpool are very difficult opponents, and well capable of playing with anybody.

Dunphy shows his remarkable ignorance of this fact, along with ignorance of recent history when he says Liverpool will get nowhere near winning Europe, and haven't a hope against the likes of MAn Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Seville, Barcalona and Real Madrid. Leaving aside the fact that he felt the need to rubbish Serie A because it didn't  suit his argument last night (Roma beat Real by the way Eamon, and AC are the current holders), it is fairly obvious that Eamon doesn't grasp this concept that a decent, well organised team, with their slice of luck can go a long way in a cup competition.

I'd have thought a football 'expert' would at least understand that.

Declan

Didn't hear what the lads on RTE  were saying but Liverpool deserved to win last night and the sending off was a disgrace. Like AZ said Liverpool are a good cup team in that they can put in a performance against anyone on a given day and with a large slice of luck could go all the way in the CL - I don't think they will myself but on the basis of last night Inter certainly don't offer much of a threat and Liverpool should get through this tie. Italian teams fascinate me - I think Inter went out last night to play for a nil all from the start and got punished for doing so - How they are so fa ahead in Serie A to me is an indictment of the standard there. Maybe they'll up the ir game in the second leg but  I was hugely disapointed in them.
Gerrard is so frustrating to watch though - I thought he was rubbish overall last night but then he pops up in the 91st minute and sticks that one away. Great finish but I suppose thats his value to the team. 

Billys Boots

Quoteunfairly sent off

I think every ref on the planet has the knives out for Matterazzi after Germany '06, and who could blame them?  He made no attempt to play the ball in either 'challenge' on Torres, and seemed more interested in the man than the ball - interestingly he didn't get booked for his worst challenge on Torres (in the first minute or two), but even then you could see that the ref wasn't going to tolerate much of that kind of crap.  He got sent off for his (at least) fourth foul on the same player in 20 mins, none of which were in threatening positions - as a defender he can hardly argue a harsh decision.

Inter, as Souness said, didn't seem to come with any intention to attack, and would have been very happy with a 0-0 - I'm glad they got beaten, and at 1-0 would have made for a very interesting second leg - I think Liverpool will get through now.  Decent 2nd half display from Gerrard and Mascherano, kept them going til the final whistle.  God, Kuyt is very ordinary.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

EC Unique

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 20, 2008, 12:47:01 AM
As I said before the game.......................

But some fools never listen  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I don't think it matters that Milan had a player sent off,And i admit unfairly sent off,
Inter weren't at the races even with 11 players,and too be honest its often a harder task to score against 10 than 11 as the team with 10 defends more as we saw tonight

The un-fair sending off ruined the game as a contest (even though it took Liverpool 55 mins to score)
11 verses 11 in Italy will be interesting. I expect liverpool to play with a back 10 and the complete opposite to lastnights game. The question is.. can they hold off?  I fancy 2-0 and penalties :o :o