Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Wouldn't fancy the proposed McGarity switch IMO. I'd back Ronan to take him on a court anyday of the week but in around the house in an AI Semi is a different story. Lay into Kerry with the same intensity and hunger that was shown the last day and we'll be there or thereabouts.

sans pessimism

hear hear ballinaman.Too much over-analysis .Team Mayo are on the move.Let Kerry worry about the Ballintubber All-Black's tactics for a change.Eiri suas a Mhaigheo                                                                           
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

blanketattack

Kerry will need to be about 9 points up at half-time to have any hope against Mayo.

Mayo scores conceded in the second half:
v Galway: 0-1
v Roscommon: 0-2
v Cork: 0-1

Kerry Mike

Did you know that King Puck is named Enda this year. The ultimate respect to everyone in Mayo. We are worried
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 03, 2011, 04:21:40 PM
Did you know that King Puck is named Enda this year. The ultimate respect to everyone in Mayo. We are worried

:D They should have called it after his father Henry  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

muppet

I went looking for an omen last night.

I took a bottle of Bourbon and a revolver and I climbed Croke Patrick. I finished the bottle and then shot it (took 4 bullets - I was a half back). Then I asked the moon how it thought we would do. The moon told me to look around me. I saw stars everywhere. I fired the last two bullets into the moon.

Anyone know how to get down?

sent from my iphone

Muppet checked in on top of Croke Patrick
MWWSI 2017

Kerry Mike

Croagh Patrick is only a poor excuse for a mountain.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

AbbeySider

sans pessimism

You call our Taoiseach a smelly goat ,thats respect for Mayo-Kerry style!!!!!!!! ;D ;D
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on August 03, 2011, 04:29:45 PM

I took a bottle of Bourbon and a revolver and I climbed Croke Patrick. I finished the bottle and then shot it (took 4 bullets - I was a half back). Then I asked the moon how it thought we would do. The moon told me to look around me. I saw stars everywhere. I fired the last two bullets into the moon.

sent from my iphone

Hmmm. Are you sure you're not a Mayo forward?

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 03, 2011, 05:42:21 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 03, 2011, 04:29:45 PM

sent from my iphone

Hmmm. Are you sure you're not a Mayo forward?

Its freezing up here, I forgot me blanket.
MWWSI 2017

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: blanketattack on August 03, 2011, 04:09:32 PM
Kerry will need to be about 9 points up at half-time to have any hope against Mayo.

Mayo scores conceded in the second half:
v Galway: 0-1
v Roscommon: 0-2
v Cork: 0-1

:D Going by recent years that mightn't be a problem!

Seriously though, this team seem a bit more tactically aware than previous Mayo teams and have indeed tightened up in 2nd half under Horan. Haven't faced anything in the league of Kerry's forward line yet though.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Kerry Mike on August 03, 2011, 04:33:19 PM
Croagh Patrick is only a poor excuse for a mountain.

Ya its not even the biggest or 2'nd biggest mountain in Ireland, but more popular than Carrauntoohil  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Frank Casey

Enda is a real lively goat ;D ;D ;D

A WILD goat soon to be crowned king of one of Ireland's oldest pageants has been named Enda in honour of the Taoiseach.

The committee behind the annual Puck Fair in Killorglin, Co Kerry, have chosen the name because the goat captured on the Kerry mountains has similar colouring to the Fine Gael leader.

"He has fairish hair like Enda so we took our inspiration from that," said supreme goat-catcher Frank Joy from Ballyclave, Glenbeigh, who led a three-day hunt for the goat on the dangerous clifftops of Callinafercy.

"If he does his job as King of Puck half as well as Enda Kenny is leading the country we'll be doing all right."

It is the 21st year in a row that Frank has filled the role of chief goat-catcher for the age-old festival that attracts tens of thousands of visitors to Killorglin on August 10, 11 and 12 every year.

"I can honestly say that this was the toughest year ever. A gang of us spent three full days on desperately rough terrain at West Oulagh and my wife, Maura, had to keep watch with binoculars to ensure we were all safe," he said.

Frank described the three-and-a-half year old goat as "incredibly lively" after they brought him to local vet Teddy Clifford for a full medical examination.

King Enda will be feted at a coronation parade on August 10 and will be master of all he surveys from his giant pedestal in the centre of Killorglin town until the dethronement ceremony two days later.

King Enda will be formally crowned by 13-year-old Queen of Puck, Muireann Arthurs who lives at West Oulagh, very close to the spot where the goat was captured.

"It's an amazing coincidence because this is the first time in living memory that the King and Queen of Puck Fair hail from the same townland," said Frank who is keeping the goat grazing on his farm.

"I have to keep a very close watch on him because if he gets any chance to escape he'll be gone like a bat out of hell." - JUST LIKE THE MAYO TEAM :P
http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/fair-resemblance-for-pucks-king-enda-163045.html

KERRY 3:7

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 03, 2011, 12:46:06 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 03, 2011, 12:14:33 PM
Two things.

1. The argument for McGarrity on Donaghy is not based on David Brady in 2006. It's based on a notion that a basketballer is physically best equipped to mark a basketballer. To compare McGarrity to Brady is nuts. Nonsense. Rubbish.

2. It's no wonder Mayo don't win All-Irelands. The Kerry game is more than a fortnight away and already we're at daggers drawn over a simple switch. If McGarrity goes in fullback it'll be the end of human life on the planet. Only McGarrity going in fullback can save human life on the planet.

People need to step back and calm down. There is no other county where there is so little unanimity on how to rate players. In Mayo you're always either the best ever or the worst ever. There's never any balance.

Maybe McGarrity man-marking Donaghy will win Mayo the game. Maybe him not man-marking Donaghy will cost Mayo the game. I don't know. And I'll tell you this: neither does anyone else.

Horan will have to make a decision as best as he can and then endure the second guessing of high stool prophets for the rest of his life if it goes wrong. He's the one that has to carry the can. The best of luck to him.

I dont agree Iolar, and I think that first part is ridiculous to suggest that just because someone has basketball experience that they could defend against another player with basketball experience even though it would be in a completely different discipline? If thats the case why dont we go up to Ballina and find Deora Marsh or any of the American immigrants that have played a bit of basketball and give them a jersey and see how they get on against Donaghy?  :D

IMO the Brady comparison is completely valid as Brady and McGarity are both mid fielders being called on to do a job against Donaghy at full back. Often Nicolas Murphy was suggested of being given the same role and Brady would be an obvious comparison there too. 

Also your rant about the poor unanimity anmoung Mayo supporters and daggers drawn at such a simple switch is a little annoying considering the reason we have lost to Kerry in the past was mainly due to the fact that Mayo didnt learn or change tactics to deal with the Kerry attack. We should all keep our head in the sand and not discuss it at all shall we?

And I am not overplaying the Donaghy factor at all, I would be happy with the rest of the Mayo defence I named being best able to contain their opponents and a sweeper may clog up the defence and prevent Kerry attacking down the middle, which was the other reason they destroyed us in the past. But maybe that one is another thing we shouldnt bother discussing?  ;)

I used basketball as shorthand. For instance, I wouldn't suggest recalling Shane Fitzmaurice and putting him on Donaghy, even though he was a basketballer too. I think there are facets to Ronan's game that are particularly suited to man marking Donaghy. I could be wrong. That's certainly possible. You say we didn't learn or change tactics. Wouldn't asking McGarrity to man-mark Donaghy constitute learning or changing tactics?

I posted to add to the discussion, and I then pointed out that we tend towards extremism rather than colder and more balanced assessment in Mayo. You took that as an insult, which is its own testimony of course. If I didn't want to discuss I wouldn't post. Please Abbeysider; over to you.