Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Eugene, one of the cutest f**kers ever to walk onto a pitch
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

You could get very paranoid, but the videos of Mayo hammering Kerry in the 1996 All-Ireland Semi-Final appear to have been removed from Youtube.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

moysider

Quote from: muppet on August 03, 2011, 12:39:34 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 03, 2011, 12:04:28 AM
Quote from: muppet on August 02, 2011, 11:45:37 PM
A leap of faith is better than lunacy.

Caff or Feeney with McLaughlin/Freeman sweeping is the sensible way to go. 2006 is gone. That day we were cleaned at midfield and that was the source of the quality ball into Donaghy. The same happened in 2004. It is all about the quality of ball going in. Look what Andy Moran did to Michael Sheilds with good ball.

Midfield is where the war needs to be and McGarrity may well be needed there.

McGarrity will be needed but unlikely to feature if he has to play club this weekend with the nature of his injury.

Even with Ronan available to mark Donaghy it goes without saying a sweeper is deployed to cut out ball. And 2006 is not gone. We re in much the same position as we were after dublin semi in 06. The Kerry team is not as good but their forwards could still kill you in minutes if you re soft enough to give them the same old. We don t have 2 good fullbacks tussling for the 1 position. Both will give it everything but in last 2 matches one of them couldn t cope with Shine and the other was stretched until switched with Cunn on Sunday.

Donaghy will get a few scores, so will Gooch and Declan O'Sullivan. A few other Kerry players will score. Each time they score, particularly early on, a section of the Mayo support will scream in panic. I hope the team and the management ignore this.

The backs job will be to keep the Kerry score down to something we can more than match at the other end. We did it against Cork, we can do it against Kerry. I don't care if Donaghy scores a hatrick as long as we score more than them.

No. We wont score more than them in a shoot out. Tyrone realised this years ago. You make sure they don t score much to give yourself a chance. Not only did they bring back Justin Mchahon to do a job on Walsh they had McGinley back in front of the full back line as security. And they did it from the very start. Only when they had frustrated Kerry and largely broke their resolve did they go about winning the game. Meath did something similar to Cork in 99. It s all been done before. I hope to Christ we have learned. 06 is now more relevant than Cork match the last day. I m not sure a fully fit Cork forward line would pose anything near the threat as Kerry do. We could dominate midfield and still be beat up a stick. Roscomon played a good honest game the last day but never had a hope in a shoot out against a wily old team that can pick a few scores and then kill ye on the counter when you re forced to chase it. If Donaghy gets a hatrick - even if Kerry altogether score 3 then it s the same old story. Might be wrong but don t recall Tyrone giving Kerry goals and winning. Kerry could beat us on points but if we give them goals forget about it. And believe me, they will be looking for goals early to win this one. Everybody knows now that Mayo do a good second half - Kerry will be lookin to be comfortable at half time.
On a more positive note ( and I am optimistic about it all actually - I just don t want to see the old approach any more) Horan and his set up has these players in great shape. I dont think anybody has remarked how well we stayed the distance the last day against one of the most feared physical team ever. Compare that to the anaemic condition of our teams since 06 when the business started. That has been a huge factor. If any team/athlete has been prepared properly they have the confidence to perform and we re seeing that. We re not in a bad place at all, but I think we need to be bold now and go for it. Kerry and Jack O Connor would love nothing better than 06 over again. He ll know if he gets Tyrone or even Donegal in the final though he ll be facing a very different set of circumstances.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Not the semi final we were expecting, but after Mayo's display on Sunday one we won't be taking lightly. Kerry were sluggish enough at times on sunday, worryingly 2 of the main culprits were Gooch and Donaghy, so they'll have to sharpen up certainly.
This talk of McGarrity going fullback is nonsense in my view, Cafferkey was excellent on Sunday and looks like he is capable enough in the air aswell. Whether to leave him there if Declan Sullivan goes in, is another thing.
We've had the indian sign over Mayo since 1997,but all good things come to an end..all I heard from Cork fans last week was "nobody but Kerry has beaten us since 2004", so I'd be certainly optimistic on our chances, but we need to step it up a bit.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Turf Wars

What about playing McGarrity as a sweeper in front of the full back line? Then the full back could do the defending and McGarrity contest the high balls in.
If Donaghy was then moved to midfield, McG could just follow hiim up.

sans pessimism

Quote from: ONeill on August 03, 2011, 12:48:28 AM
I hope a goal is celebrated like McHale's in 1981 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yZ0vbvguD4&feature=related
ya-only if it puts us 5 up with time up(not like 1st half '81!)
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

ross matt

Mayo has to win midfield in terms of primary possession and breaking ball. Despite my reservations about them after the Connacht final the brother have constantly improved and the likes of Moran etc will eat breaks. Its vital that when Kerry win any ball out there that they are harassed so if the supply goes in to Donaghy at all its disrupted and of poor quality. Playing McGarrity back there on him is not realistic. The Brady example is  a poor one. The match was over as a contest and the ref let DB away with murder.  Like I said before the Cork game this is a different type of Mayo side. They wont lie down and cave in after a  Kerry blitz like in the past. Horan is very defensively minded and will concentrate on smothering Kerry forwards and midfield and then hitting scores on the counter attack. Tyrone v Kerry semi in 03 is an example of how it may go. Not pretty but effective. Mayo have steadily improved and come through serious tests in the process in all sorts of weather. Kerry (except for the 2nd half of the Cork match) have coasted this far. Mayo therefore are far more battle hardened this year. History doesnt always have to be repeated. Mayo have a real chance of causing another upset here.

muppet

Quote from: Turf Wars on August 03, 2011, 05:38:38 AM
What about playing McGarrity as a sweeper in front of the full back line? Then the full back could do the defending and McGarrity contest the high balls in.

This is about the only scenario I would live with. The problem is who do you drop? A corner forward? A midfielder?
MWWSI 2017

bucko

Ross Matt hit the nail on the head, we have to win the middle third if we want a chance of winning. Regardless of who we put on any particular Kerry forward, we will not completlely contain them over 70 mins if they get any regular supply of ball into them. They have to impose themselves from the word go, especially in midfield, and prevent Kerry from their trademark lightening start a-la first half v Cork and v Limerick. 
                                                                                 From the Cork game, despite the win Mayo still have a couple of things to sort out. Whether to start Caff or Feeney at FB, Aiden O'Shea's decision making(pass or run with it, especially when there are good passing options near him) support play in the forwards (thought on Sunday there were numerous occasions when Freeman and Moran won ball around 30m out from goal on the wing but no player made any direct support runs inside them toward goal) and some of the long deliveries in to the FF line were not even 50/50, going well over the target's head. Freeman, O'Connor, Doc or Varley would thrive off long, lower ball into space towards the wings that they can run on to. Freeman is really the only guy that can win high dropping ball. If this is a tactic they are going to use they will have to leave him inside.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Turf Wars on August 03, 2011, 05:38:38 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if that is what happens.
McGarrity is worth a place on this or any other Mayo side I have seen but I think it would be a big mistake to break up the O'Sheas' partnership right now.
I can see Kerry going all out to set up a replay of the start of the '06 final. In the first few minutes, if Donaghy manages to out field our FB and then plant it, it could well be a case of déjà vu.
A Donaghy goal in the opening minutes has to be avoided at all costs.
We could well do without a goal from any of them and not just in the opening minutes. I think it's vital to have the brothers in midfield. They have a great mutual understanding, are good fielders and can 'stick it up to them' with the best of them as David Brady might say.
McGar is developing into a great all rounder at a relatively late stage of his career, as did his mentor Liam McHale. But I don't think he has the biff bang factor to the same extent as the O'Sheas.
I don't know who to drop to accommodate, him if he starts, but I hope it won't be Aidan or Seamus.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AbbeySider

I cant see any scenario and I actually cant decide if you guys are being serious or not about putting McGarity fullback to go man to man against Donaghy and I was shocked to even read the suggestion. The  reason it sort of worked for Brady is 2006 was because Brady actually bullied, fouled and knocked lumps out of Star for the length of time he marked him which you would not normally get away with. The reason Brady got away with it was because Mayo were so far behind and trying desperately to get back into the game so the referee seemed willing to let it go. It was a one trick pony that can never be repeated. 

If anyone thinks for a second that McGarity would have the same appetite, temperament and hunger to beat Donaghy (into the ground) that Brady had they are deluded. If you think that McGarity would even know what to do defending on the back foot with a forward running at him then I dont know what to say. Its one of the craziest ideas that I have read but maybe it is a wind up and I have taken the bate (as usual).

In my view the only guy that would be capable to match Donaghy in the air is Alan Feeney who did a good job in the league. Feeney would be well used to marking a big full forward as he trains against Barry Moran and club level so is well used of fielding high balls against a 6ft 5" full forward. Feeney also plays on the edge hitting and nudging at the right times, but gets away with it and IMO he has the best hands in the Mayo defence so I dont believe anyone else would be as up to the task.

Obviously may need someone to sweep in front of him and act as an extra defender. Maybe the guy is McLoughlin but personally I would play Richie Feeney as the sweeper and extra defender and I would get McLoughlin to filter back to wing back. As brothers and playing beside one another at club level Richie and Alan Feeney would know each other inside out so Richie should be best to judge the breaking ball in the full back line and we have seen that he can throw the odd shoulder and get the body in the way of anything that would get past Vaughan at centre back. If that role was not working for whatever reason then a switch with McLoughlin would put Feeney back to wing back and McLoughlin as the free man or sweeper to use his pace to get the ball out of defence.

I think our best chance is to line up as follows:

Paul Galvin    Declan O'Sullivan    Donnchadh Walsh
Trev Mort         Vaughan                  Kevin McLoughlin(10) (Or Alan Feeney)
                                                      /
                        Alan Feeney (or McLoughlin )
Colm Cooper    Kieran Donaghy       Darren O'Sullivan
Cunniffe            Alan Feeney                  Keith Higgins

I would also suggest that of Donaghy went out to bail out midfield that McLoughlin would go to back to wing forward and Richie Feeney to go back on Walsh. That switch could also happen even sooner if Alan Feeney is holding Donaghy

bucko

McGarrity going to FB should not be even considered. I had heard a rumour that in '06 he'd been tried there in training but that never materialised on the day. Maybe it was decided at that time it was a bad idea?!?! Feeney, having the best recent record on him should probabaly get the nod along with designating someone to sweep up in front of or double team Donaghy win he hits the deck. But lets not get obsessed with Donaghy, Kerry's best players so far this year have been the 2 O'Sullivans. Take our eyes off them and they'll do more damage than Donaghy ever will!

IolarCoisCuain

Two things.

1. The argument for McGarrity on Donaghy is not based on David Brady in 2006. It's based on a notion that a basketballer is physically best equipped to mark a basketballer. To compare McGarrity to Brady is nuts. Nonsense. Rubbish.

2. It's no wonder Mayo don't win All-Irelands. The Kerry game is more than a fortnight away and already we're at daggers drawn over a simple switch. If McGarrity goes in fullback it'll be the end of human life on the planet. Only McGarrity going in fullback can save human life on the planet.

People need to step back and calm down. There is no other county where there is so little unanimity on how to rate players. In Mayo you're always either the best ever or the worst ever. There's never any balance.

Maybe McGarrity man-marking Donaghy will win Mayo the game. Maybe him not man-marking Donaghy will cost Mayo the game. I don't know. And I'll tell you this: neither does anyone else.

Horan will have to make a decision as best as he can and then endure the second guessing of high stool prophets for the rest of his life if it goes wrong. He's the one that has to carry the can. The best of luck to him.

Kerry Mike

I love the obsession with Donaghy. I think Cooper is going to burst into life soon and he will inflict more damage than Kieran if he gets going. saying that Donaghy is a better footballer now then he was in 2006. Interesting times ahead
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

kevmy

Feck Donaghy - he's having a poor year. Anyway I don't think McG would be ready for 70 or even 55 mins from the way he's only played about 30 mins in the last 3 games combined. Even though I'd have Feeney as a better FB than Caff Donaghy the last day (and pretty much all yr) spent a lot of time out the field and I feel Caff would be better able to follow him out.

I'd be much more concerned about who picks up the two O'Sullivan's (if Darran is fit).

In '04 and '06 yes the high ball caused us damage but all the serious work was done by the Kerry midfield and Declan O'Sullivan at CF. Only BJP competed on our kickouts in '06 and after ht Jack O'Connor sorted this. We need to win midfield and the breaking ball just like we've done against Galway, Ros and Cork this year. Thats where we have won those games.