Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2011, 11:52:25 AM
Quote from: Canalman on August 16, 2011, 10:28:00 AM
Am convinced that Mayo will win this one. Jist have this hunch gnawing away in my head that despite Kerry having the best players in the land that (like Tyrone), they haven't learnt the lessons of 2010.

As for their "injuries", please lads don't even bother commenting on them,  pure yerraism, they will all be like spring lambs next Sunday.

I am going to call it for Mayo.

Me too. They appear to be serious workers and very organised, no rábáil football .

If I was James Horan I would read this article to the players before every training session

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0622/1224299383646.html

GAA : No Connacht county will win the All-Ireland title this year and, in fact, they don't look anyway close to winning one. That's what makes their provincial championship so valuable, writes Dara o Se.

They're (Mayo) football-mad and you always got the feeling that if they could harness it, you'd be in trouble.

What a patronising t**t.

Have to disagree with ye lads, think the Kingdom are on a mission this year to get back to the AI final after not making it last year and they will edge it. They have one of the best managers in the country who has defeated Mayo in three big championship games before.

That said Mayo have an excellent manager in Horan and I don't see more than 3 points in the difference. Trevor Mortimer being fit though is crucial. He did an excellent job on the Cork playmaker, Paddy Kelly, and is best placed to mark the Kerry playmaker, Declan O'Sullivan. I do expect Mayo to make hay down the middle though where Kerry are weak. If Tommy Griffin is fit I'd put him straight back in full back and move Marc O Sé out to center back. Hard to believe Marc is 31 with the way he is moving this summer.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Sam2011

Quote from: Jinxy on August 16, 2011, 12:13:49 PM
Will Mayo bring a big crowd for this?
What's the vibe around the place?
I was in a gang of 7 the last day and I have a few more recruited and I haven't finished yet!
There is more hope than expectation around the place.
PRIDE and BELIEF has been restored in Mayo!
These lads are going to give this game one hell of a lash!
So lets C'MON TO HELL and get behind our lads after what they done the last day for us!

Mike Sheehy

Am convinced that Mayo will win this one. Jist have this hunch gnawing away in my head that despite Kerry having the best players in the land that (like Tyrone), they haven't learnt the lessons of 2010.

As for their "injuries", please lads don't even bother commenting on them,  pure yerraism, they will all be like spring lambs next Sunday.

Me too. They appear to be serious workers and very organised, no rábáil football .

If I was James Horan I would read this article to the players before every training session

GAA : No Connacht county will win the All-Ireland title this year and, in fact, they don't look anyway close to winning one. That's what makes their provincial championship so valuable, writes Dara o Se.

They're (Mayo) football-mad and you always got the feeling that if they could harness it, you'd be in trouble.

What a patronising t**t.

You've never wasted an oppurtunity to have a pop at the Mayo lads, especially about 04/06..now you are their biggest fan so who are you to be calling anyone patronizing  ::)

two faced gobshite.

goal 10

I said last year that Kerry would not win the all Ireland, & I say the same this year.
why?  because they have not replaced their 3 top players who were,
DARA O'SHEA, TIM KENNELLY & TOMMY WALSH, from the winning team of 2009

So its,  MAYO,  DONEGAL, or  DUBLIN  to be champions for 2011

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: goal 10 on August 16, 2011, 07:40:48 PM
I said last year that Kerry would not win the all Ireland, & I say the same this year.

agreed. We are considerably weaker than we were. Its a bit silly the way teams try to build us up just so that they can try and psyche themselves up. The standard is as even as its ever been and all teams left in it are capable of winning it. 

Frank Casey

I would fully agree with you about Darragh ó Se but I would qualify the long term impact of the other two. Tommy Walsh was shaping up to be a major prospect for Kerry. I don't think he was there yet an we're not in so much trouble in the forwards. Young Horse played a one season cameo, albeit a striking one (ask Nick Murphy). Would I like to have the two of them around - damn right but I'd prefer a 25 year old clone of the man from the Gaeltacht.
KERRY 3:7

GalwayBayBoy

Am convinced that Mayo will win this one. I am going to call it for Mayo.

Well the Mayo lads will be praying your football predictions are better than your hurling ones.

QuoteAm absolutely convinced that Waterford will beat KK next Sunday

Canalman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 16, 2011, 08:21:03 PM
Am convinced that Mayo will win this one. I am going to call it for Mayo.

Well the Mayo lads will be praying your football predictions are better than your hurling ones.

QuoteAm absolutely convinced that Waterford will beat KK next Sunday

Yeah, have been already reminded of this already.

In my defence, I did predict that Tipp would easily win the AIF last year when the vast majority went for Kilkenny. For the record I also think that Tipp will hammer Kilkenny again in this year's final.

Just have this hunch that this Kerry team is tottering a bit..................... despite the personnel on it. Having said that they will probably go on to waltz to another All Ireland.

Sam2011

I think the Kerry backs are to old for our young speedy forwards. If we are winning midfield and the O'Shea's are laying off the ball straight away to our forwards they have the potential to destroy them. Our forwards are very young and this is a great experience for them and it will stand to them in the future. I can see big proformances in the likes of Freeman and Dorhetry (if starting) on Sunday. The lads are where every team want to be at this time of the year- up in Croke Park, playing the big teams at the business end of the championship.
Will the Mayo team announced tommorow?
Whats the story with Galvin? Or is that just Kerry up to their usual tricks! :P
Roll on Sunday! Can't to see Aidan O'Shea put a few Kerry lads on their arsers!!
C'MON THE GREEN AND RED!!!!!!

Canalman

Lads, in all fairness please don't post any further on Kerry's "injury doubts". They will all be there on Sunday as agile as court jesters.

Sam2011

Quote from: Canalman on August 16, 2011, 09:37:16 PM
Lads, in all fairness please don't post any further on Kerry's "injury doubts". They will all be there on Sunday as agile as court jesters.
Haha, I won't belive the gospel out of their mouths! I think its funny really that they might think we would belive them for a second but sure let them ramble away, our lads will keep their heads down and just look after themselves!
C'MON THE GREEN AND RED!!!!

Jinxy

Quote from: Frank Casey on August 16, 2011, 07:49:10 PM

I would fully agree with you about Darragh ó Se but I would qualify the long term impact of the other two. Tommy Walsh was shaping up to be a major prospect for Kerry. I don't think he was there yet an we're not in so much trouble in the forwards. Young Horse played a one season cameo, albeit a striking one (ask Nick Murphy). Would I like to have the two of them around - damn right but I'd prefer a 25 year old clone of the man from the Gaeltacht.

Any sign of him coming back?
Things don't seem to be going great for him in Oz and if himself and David Moran were available ye would have some midfield.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

passedit

James Horan to mail Kerry their birth certs. Then they realise last year was the start of a trend not a blip. Mayo to do their best to lose anyway.

Mayo 0.8 (87 wides)
Kerry 2.1 (3 attempts)

Don't Panic

moysider

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 16, 2011, 02:26:34 PM

What a patronising t**t.

Have to disagree with ye lads, think the Kingdom are on a mission this year to get back to the AI final after not making it last year and they will edge it. They have one of the best managers in the country who has defeated Mayo in three big championship games before.

That said Mayo have an excellent manager in Horan and I don't see more than 3 points in the difference. Trevor Mortimer being fit though is crucial. He did an excellent job on the Cork playmaker, Paddy Kelly, and is best placed to mark the Kerry playmaker, Declan O'Sullivan. I do expect Mayo to make hay down the middle though where Kerry are weak. If Tommy Griffin is fit I'd put him straight back in full back and move Marc O Sé out to center back. Hard to believe Marc is 31 with the way he is moving this summer.

Y'know I don t think JOC will be putting too much value on those past wins. If this Mayo team is different then the difference is management. Mayo has always taken a simple approach to football( sometimes you d be forgivin for thinking a simpleton's approach). Even with a practical man like Liam O Neill the team had a flambouyant heart. It was the way the people and the board preferred, even it guaranteed lack of success. O Connor knew he had little to worry about with Sir John. John did a lot right but selection and tactics were his achilles heel and everybody knew it by 04/05. He often left his best players off in the later stages of the championship and in the case of Kevin O Neill, just didn t pick them at all, because he didn t think they were good enough. For all his good things, simple judgement betrayed him. In his column a few weels ago he was still making the case that Trevor was a better forward and Kevin McL a natural back. I guess you see things or you dont. ( Mairtín McHugh has been talking the same shite all Summer. I d forgive him cause he s only winging it about us but he needs to get a new mole in Mayo).
By the 06 final M&M hadn t a hope. I would not be hard on them. The board had abandoned them months earlier and in the 'March to the Hill' the players moved on as well. Management did not set up the team at all for the 06 final. Pity M&M have not talked about it but it looked like the senior players decided how to play it with disasterous consequences.
So management have to make a difference this time. Mayo did not lie down in 04/06. That was just lazy shite from people that are too lazy to inquire or ask the right questions. We re talking about defenders like Heaney, Nallen and Ruane that you would send out to play for you re life. I m sure most Mayo people would prefer them to Caff, Vaughan and say Cunniffe. But we still have to face the 3 amigos that killed us in minutes in 06. Donaghy, Gooch and Declan O Sull. So how can we do any better than the boys of 06?
  But it is unlikely that our defenders will be hung out to dry this time. We lost mid field early in 06 and had no plan to get men behind the ball. Even after a good start in 04 we left our defenders scrambling one on one. Much like Tyrone were left against the Dublin backs the last day. You can t defend quality players like that and I doubt we ll try the next day. The Mayo teams of 04 and 06 were mature with a lot of quality but for the most part badly let down preparation wise. As well as the lads mentioned we had likes of McDanger who would be some player to have now in a team with the current attitude. The difference this year is management. That does not mean we are going to beat Kerry but I expect to make it tougher for them. They ll go for the early kill again but we have to park the f**king bus in front of the posts - even if we are winning midfield. We ll be criticised for it but it s better than being laughed about for playing nice open stuff and losing and making likes of Gooch and Declan O Sull look better than they are. And they are great. I expect us to make them earn their win the hard way and very late, if they re going to win. They should be made scratch and claw for everything. If Donaghy and Gooch are moaning and bitching with 5 to go we won t be too far away.

macdanger2

I was just reading in another thread about the "well-organised" Mayo defence - we didn't look too well organised when we were 1-4 to 0-1 down after 15 minutes against Cork.

I'm not trying to be negative but if we do that against Kerry, it will be nigh on impossible to come back from it.

Any rumours on the team??