All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rudi on October 01, 2016, 09:25:12 PM
Thought this was an entertaining game, fair play to both sides. Dublin butchered a number of easy chances. Costello stole the show, a class act. Surely Mannion, Costello and McHugh will get more of a chance next year. Mayo did well and possibly deserved a draw, best team never to win an All Ireland. Keggan, Boyle and Higgins are utter class.

The latter two will leave a massive void to fill. Brilliant players true leaders that gave their all for their county.

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 01, 2016, 06:48:19 PM
Lucky lucky Dublin. My heart goes out to Mayo the worst and most heartbreaking loss of any All Ireland final before for them.

In what way were Dublin "lucky"? Some of the frees Mayo were given towards the end of the game were scandalously soft. The most heartbreaking final loss for Mayo is still the one against Meath and I would argue the more recent Donegal one is up there as well. Both were infinitely more winnable games than against this Dublin outfit.

muppet

Feeling pretty sick after that.

Jinxy nailed it regarding Deehan so I won't add to that.

Quote from: Jinxy on October 01, 2016, 07:36:21 PM
I felt sorry for Maurice today.
It was like he realised about 30 seconds after every decision that he'd got it wrong so it influenced the next decision he made.
Like a domino effect.
He was constantly thinking about what had happened before instead of concentrating on what was happening now.

Those questioning the keeper swap, Clarke had some major wobbles in the draw. However it was too late in the season to swap goalkeepers. Brave decision but ultimately probably the wrong one.

More critical was the knee to Vaughan's head and the Keegan black card. After that the only player capable of playing our running game without always turing the ball over was Paddy Durcan. Feel very sorry for Cillian, clearly not remotely fit and still only missed one.

Congrats to the Dubs. I thought Cooper was very unlucky, Small very, very lucky, but the forwards that came off the bench made the difference, especially Costello.
MWWSI 2017

naka

First time in a long while when both sets of supporters agreed that the ref was atrocious.
Sorry for Mayo but jeez Dublin should had been 2/3 up front before the free kick
Though Michael darragh was excellent when he came on
Really think that connolly is all that is wrong in the modern game. Have no time for him.
Dublin well done tbf you really stepped in up and under Gavin are a well oiled machine who can only get better

tiempo

Quote from: Scoring Zone on October 01, 2016, 09:35:30 PM
was blown away with the S&C of the players, its reaching scary standards, however the refereeing is shocking and the inconsistency of it lead to the scrappy end to the first half, Felt dublin let the pressure get to them, but just had forwards with more natural ability and better bench. With mayo, no sympathy, game was there twice and they didn't take it. The change of the keepers backfired, and bar frees from O'Connor most of there forward play was gutless - Aidan O'Shea hasn't an arse in his trousers, twice he was needed in a fortnight and was found wanting, his bother was seismic after a poor show last time round as was boyle and the corner backs - Mayo don't have the quality of forwards to score from play 3 or 4 times a game and won't win sam until they do

S&C to the hilt and kick passing non-existant, any of the good footballing champion teams of the past would have made shite of Mayo and Dublin e.g. Down, Galway, Tyrone, various Kerry

Syferus

Vaughan was no loss to Mayo. Coen is a way smarter footballer and really should be starting over Vaughan if that's really the choice Rochford is making each game. For Keegan read Cooper for Dublin.

Fact is subs won the game for Dublin, same as most had predicted. Costello is one of the most skilled footballers in the country and the luxury of having him spending most of the summer on clean-up duty in games tells the story of why Dublin have won 4/6.

Dublin have now moved into the undisputed #2 position on the list of all-time great teams. They have every chance of making a run at the five in a row that eluded the one team still ahead of them.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on October 01, 2016, 09:48:44 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 01, 2016, 06:48:19 PM
Lucky lucky Dublin. My heart goes out to Mayo the worst and most heartbreaking loss of any All Ireland final before for them.

In what way were Dublin "lucky"? Some of the frees Mayo were given towards the end of the game were scandalously soft. The most heartbreaking final loss for Mayo is still the one against Meath and I would argue the more recent Donegal one is up there as well. Both were infinitely more winnable games than against this Dublin outfit.

You can watch the match back after you are done with all the celebrations and you might agree it was a lucky Dublin win. 2012 final was not heartbreaking as Donegal won that final early and this final surpasses 1996 for heartbreak for Mayo  IMO and worse of all the way Dublin played today and two weeks ago meant both games were very winnable for Mayo.

Rossfan

What age are you Syfín?
Probably around 20? so how in hell can you compare Dublin 2011-16 to any teams beyond Kerry and Tyrone of the Noughties.

Football crying out for some new heroes.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Could Mayo not scour the migrant communities in Galway and Dublin for those 2 forwards they need?
Larry Finnerty's son for example.

rrhf

The suits that those guys wear on the Sunday game have fcuk all to do with Gaelic football

Jinxy

Quote from: muppet on October 01, 2016, 09:53:04 PM
Feeling pretty sick after that.

Jinxy nailed it regarding Deehan so I won't add to that.

Quote from: Jinxy on October 01, 2016, 07:36:21 PM
I felt sorry for Maurice today.
It was like he realised about 30 seconds after every decision that he'd got it wrong so it influenced the next decision he made.
Like a domino effect.
He was constantly thinking about what had happened before instead of concentrating on what was happening now.

Those questioning the keeper swap, Clarke had some major wobbles in the draw. However it was too late in the season to swap goalkeepers. Brave decision but ultimately probably the wrong one.

More critical was the knee to Vaughan's head and the Keegan black card. After that the only player capable of playing our running game without always turing the ball over was Paddy Durcan. Feel very sorry for Cillian, clearly not remotely fit and still only missed one.

Congrats to the Dubs. I thought Cooper was very unlucky, Small very, very lucky, but the forwards that came off the bench made the difference, especially Costello.

Which was badly handled again, I might add.
We need to learn from the mistakes of other sports and protect players at all costs.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

screenexile

Quote from: tiempo on October 01, 2016, 10:02:21 PM
Quote from: Scoring Zone on October 01, 2016, 09:35:30 PM
was blown away with the S&C of the players, its reaching scary standards, however the refereeing is shocking and the inconsistency of it lead to the scrappy end to the first half, Felt dublin let the pressure get to them, but just had forwards with more natural ability and better bench. With mayo, no sympathy, game was there twice and they didn't take it. The change of the keepers backfired, and bar frees from O'Connor most of there forward play was gutless - Aidan O'Shea hasn't an arse in his trousers, twice he was needed in a fortnight and was found wanting, his bother was seismic after a poor show last time round as was boyle and the corner backs - Mayo don't have the quality of forwards to score from play 3 or 4 times a game and won't win sam until they do

S&C to the hilt and kick passing non-existant, any of the good footballing champion teams of the past would have made shite of Mayo and Dublin e.g. Down, Galway, Tyrone, various Kerry

No... You are completely incorrect!

rrhf

The black card advocated by pundits has made a mockery of Gaelic football.

Chimley

Well I'm back home and filling up on alcohol. This was a very tough day and one that was always a probability once we heard the teams. The dub campaign against Keegan worked a treat and Deegan was a coward to fall for it.
Dublin had the better bench and that was key though. If we hadn't thrown them about 1-8 in scorable frees, we would have made it tougher on them.
I have to agree that he gave us very soft frees in the second half but the damage was already done at that stage.
AOS has never played well against the Dubs. They have his number.

Well done to the dubs and they have a magnificent team.

heffo

Back to back League Div 1, Leinster & AI - I'll take that.