All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 01, 2016, 07:39:53 PM
RTE and others must have watched a different game than me if they thought that scrappy bad tempered contest was incredible. Dublin won because of a better bench and a management team that made less mistakes

Absolutely. As far as actual football went today's match was pure sh!te bar the odd decent point.

Keegans loss was huge and in the end Dublin had more on the bench who could come on and genuinely affect the game.

ashman

haze

Quote from: tyroneman on October 01, 2016, 08:00:37 PM
RTE and others must have watched a different game than me if they thought that scrappy bad tempered contest was incredible. Dublin won because of a better bench and a management team that made less mistakes

Absolutely. As far as actual football went today's match was pure sh!te bar the odd decent point.

Keegans loss was huge and in the end Dublin had more on the bench who could come on and genuinely affect the game.
Incredible drama both days. If that was shite football (and I'm not saying it was a classic) then what sort of dross did we watch most of the year. I'd watch them go at it again for sure. Wouldn't say the same about Tyrone/Donegal this year as an example or Kerry Donegal final in 2014. It's very hard to keep us happy!

Kurtz

That was sweet. Just heading back to Camden st from croke park

SHEEDY

Quote from: haze on October 01, 2016, 08:12:57 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on October 01, 2016, 08:00:37 PM

Incredible drama both days. If that was shite football (and I'm not saying it was a classic) then what sort of dross did we watch most of the year. I'd watch them go at it again for sure. Wouldn't say the same about Tyrone/Donegal this year as an example or Kerry Donegal final in 2014. It's very hard to keep us happy!
incredible drama, real edge of seat stuff. would have loved another 20mins of that in extra time. gutted for mayo, it was there for the winning and its a shame everyone will talking about the keeper situation. well done dublin, some team and more importantly some squad.
nil satis nisi optimum

An Watcher

Not only did the keeper cost them the penalty he is also responsible for Keegan getting sent off.  2 huge mistakes cost mayo dear. A red card to both teams would have sorted out alot of the nonsense

Fear ón Srath Bán

FFS Mayo, would  you ever cease with the kamikaze defensive efforts (sorry, you don't need me to fling salt all over the joint but... BUT!).

Dublin were good enough to do the necessary, against a mighty Mayo rearguard, and deservedly so. Well done lads. :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Main Street

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 01, 2016, 07:31:28 PM
The biggest single problem with football is the standard of refereeing and support. That was abysmal refereeing today for both sides I might add. Absolute zero consistency on decisions today. There seems to be zero will to rectify either. The black card is just pure farce at this stage.
It's a poor performance when decisions are ponderous, erroneous  and the game is interfered with. He dealt well with the outbreak of handbags and the lid was kept on the pot for the rest of the game. The 2nd half flowed better than the first and that's as good as it gets in the GAA. a flowing game, played at the highest level, in an intense atmosphere.

You will never get consistency, it's an impossible moan. Refs are different, not the same.
This is an amateur game, in order to get closer to a consistency, you would have to implement a professional set up where a ref's performance is analysed in a professional set up, in the the days after the game  by the collective group of elite refs.

Blue Island

RTE and others must have watched a different game than me if they thought that scrappy bad tempered contest was incredible. Dublin won because of a better bench and a management team that made less mistakes.

Mayo when they get over this disappointment will know they will be there or thereabouts again next year. Dublins consistency and success is to be admired these last six years however they fall over the line in All Ireland finals without ever impressing.

Some fellas are hard to please. It was scrappy and bad tempered no doubt, but after watching a lot of pedestrian games this year full of lateral hand passing and almost non existence tackles it was great to watch two teams go hell for leather. Some of the shooting and passing was a bit wayward but it was always exciting.

Joe Brolly comes out with some nonsense some times, but he wrote last week that Dublin should put Connolly into full forward, because Keegan's fouling would be exposed, whereas he gets away with a lot more further out without conceding a score. It may have been the keeper's fault for Keegan's black card, but it was notable that Connolly had briefly changed to full forward. Pundits seemed to think Keegan had to pull him down to stop certain goal, but I thought there were at least two Mayo defenders closing in. More a case of Keegan doing what came naturally, but being exposed when it was so close to goal.

Halfquarter

Quote from: heffo on October 01, 2016, 06:17:02 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 01, 2016, 05:41:57 PM
Connolly a disgrace waving about imaginary cards like that!!

I think you'll find Big Aido introduced that to the GAA v Kerry in 2014

Don't know if it's possible to find out who introduced it at this stage.
Regardless ,it is sickening to see players waving imaginary cards .

Rudi

Thought this was an entertaining game, fair play to both sides. Dublin butchered a number of easy chances. Costello stole the show, a class act. Surely Mannion, Costello and McHugh will get more of a chance next year. Mayo did well and possibly deserved a draw, best team never to win an All Ireland. Keggan, Boyle and Higgins are utter class.

Nigel White

Feel really sorry for Mayo, decisions went against them it's true, but the worst decision of all was to change the keeper. I'm gutted for him as well though. Don't know what Mayo has to do to win an All Ireland and unfortunately with Kerry winning three minor titles in a row, I feel their chance hay have gone for now

Syferus

Quote from: Nigel White on October 01, 2016, 09:29:37 PM
Feel really sorry for Mayo, decisions went against them it's true, but the worst decision of all was to change the keeper. I'm gutted for him as well though. Don't know what Mayo has to do to win an All Ireland and unfortunately with Kerry winning three minor titles in a row, I feel their chance hay have gone for now

Minor titles. Give me a break.

Scoring Zone

was blown away with the S&C of the players, its reaching scary standards, however the refereeing is shocking and the inconsistency of it lead to the scrappy end to the first half, Felt dublin let the pressure get to them, but just had forwards with more natural ability and better bench. With mayo, no sympathy, game was there twice and they didn't take it. The change of the keepers backfired, and bar frees from O'Connor most of there forward play was gutless - Aidan O'Shea hasn't an arse in his trousers, twice he was needed in a fortnight and was found wanting, his bother was seismic after a poor show last time round as was boyle and the corner backs - Mayo don't have the quality of forwards to score from play 3 or 4 times a game and won't win sam until they do