Sectarian abuse from the free staters

Started by Truth hurts, February 07, 2022, 11:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: general_lee on February 07, 2022, 03:57:01 PM
And if there was an actual Protestant or someone from a unionist background stripped out for Down yesterday, what's the course of action then? "Ah don't worry, it's only a bit of sledging"
In the absence of any Prods about the place, I think the Carlow lads are to be congratulated for their ingenuity and imagination.

Just a shame that the Down boys can't show the same qualities in actually getting a few more Prods into their own team.

Or even one.

(I'll leave that thought with you  ;))
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

6th sam

Quote from: Keyser soze on February 07, 2022, 03:36:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2022, 03:15:54 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on February 07, 2022, 02:54:46 PM
FS you would think people on both sides of this would grow up, ye musta had a brave sheltered upbringing if some guy calling you a nordie or a freestater on a football pitch upsets you.

Nah we should just let rip with all the slagging, nothing spared

I think you have completely missed my point. There are certainly many things that are beyond the pale but if the best someone can do is some puerile bollocks like this, why on earth would any adult let it get to them let alone make an issue out of it afterwards.

Did u think that waving bananas at black players in the past was puerile ?
Most of us think freestater and Nordie sledging is laughable because it's pathetic , but in reality any form of insulting difference is dangerous territory.
What if one of Those Down players was Protestant or unionist, how would people feel about that? . There are several from the unionist community playing GAA , it would be unthinkable that they were exposed to any sectarian sledging . Carlow should investigate appropriately  , and the GAA nationally , counties and clubs should again emphasise inclusivity and abhorrence  of sledging,  especially on the basis of difference. Unfortunately sledging is getting more widespread and this is just another manifestation of that.

6th sam

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 07, 2022, 04:03:21 PM
And if there was an actual Protestant or someone from a unionist background stripped out for Down yesterday, what's the course of action then? "Ah don't worry, it's only a bit of sledging"
In the absence of any Prods about the place, I think the Carlow lads are to be congratulated for their ingenuity and imagination.

Just a shame that the Down boys can't show the same qualities in actually getting a few more Prods into their own team.

Or even one.

I don't know the religion or political affiliation of anyone on the Down team. What I do know from personal experience is that unionists are welcomed in the GAA. Unfortunately, it's probably unionist politicians' continued lack of warmth for the GAA , that continues to discourage GAA involvement from the unionist community. In the Ards area, Down's hurling heartland   Unionists politicians have presided over underfunding and lack of recognition of the GAA, thankfully there are signs that this is changing . The East Belfast initiative is an example of a vibrant and genuine outreach in a predominantly unionist area. Most unionists I know admire and respect the GAA and many have joined or actively support it. Times they are a changing, thankfully . A friend of mine was chatting to a prominent ulster unionist a couple of years ago, who compared the GAA to the Orange order. Incredibly the politician was shocked by the very obvious answer. The Orange order excludes Catholics from joining, the GAA wants Protestants to join. Whereas one of the reasons the GAA thrives is its Irishness, we must work hard at ways of reassuring unionists they will be warmly welcomed and that Politics in reality is  irrelevant to GAA clubs and members . There are several unionists enjoying the GAA , but few are ready to stick their head above the parapet and promote it because of the unwanted attention it could bring from bigots from the unionist side. They're too busy enjoying the sport to be bothered by bringing politics into it.

Evil Genius

Quote from: 6th sam on February 07, 2022, 04:42:29 PM
I don't know the religion or political affiliation of anyone on the Down team. What I do know from personal experience is that unionists are welcomed in the GAA. Unfortunately, it's probably unionist politicians' continued lack of warmth for the GAA , that continues to discourage GAA involvement from the unionist community. In the Ards area, Down's hurling heartland   Unionists politicians have presided over underfunding and lack of recognition of the GAA, thankfully there are signs that this is changing . The East Belfast initiative is an example of a vibrant snd genuine outreach in a predominantly unionist area. Most unionists I know admire and respect the GAA and many have joined or actively support it. Times they are a changing, thankfully . A friend of mine was chatting to a prominent ulster unionist a couple of years ago, who compared the GAA to the Orange order. Incredibly the politician was shocked by the very obvious answer. The Orange order excludes Catholics from joining, the GAA wants Protestants to join. Whereas one of the reasons the GAA thrives is its Irishness, we must work hard at ways of reassuring unionists they will be warmly welcomed and that Politics in reality is  irrelevant to GAA clubs and members .
I've no doubt you and many other GAA are fans are entirely sincere.

But in your wishes/efforts to persuade people from the Unionist community in NI to give Gaelic games a try, you have completely failed. And have been for decades, with no real sign of anything much changing (East Belfast notwithstanding)

Compare that with the ability of the IFA to get people from the Nationalist community involved at every level, male and female, young and old, on and off the pitch. And that's while up against the counter attraction of the FAI, for which the GAA has no equivalent.

So never mind a few Carlow boys acting the maggot, this is the real "elephant in the room".
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

weareros

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 07, 2022, 04:54:34 PM
I don't know the religion or political affiliation of anyone on the Down team. What I do know from personal experience is that unionists are welcomed in the GAA. Unfortunately, it's probably unionist politicians' continued lack of warmth for the GAA , that continues to discourage GAA involvement from the unionist community. In the Ards area, Down's hurling heartland   Unionists politicians have presided over underfunding and lack of recognition of the GAA, thankfully there are signs that this is changing . The East Belfast initiative is an example of a vibrant snd genuine outreach in a predominantly unionist area. Most unionists I know admire and respect the GAA and many have joined or actively support it. Times they are a changing, thankfully . A friend of mine was chatting to a prominent ulster unionist a couple of years ago, who compared the GAA to the Orange order. Incredibly the politician was shocked by the very obvious answer. The Orange order excludes Catholics from joining, the GAA wants Protestants to join. Whereas one of the reasons the GAA thrives is its Irishness, we must work hard at ways of reassuring unionists they will be warmly welcomed and that Politics in reality is  irrelevant to GAA clubs and members .

But in your wishes/efforts to persuade people from the Unionist community in NI to give Gaelic games a try, you have completely failed. And have been for decades, with no real sign of anything much changing (East Belfast notwithstanding)

Compare that with the ability of the IFA to get people from the Nationalist community involved at every level, male and female, young and old, on and off the pitch. And that's while up against the counter attraction of the FAI, for which the GAA has no equivalent.

So never mind a few Carlow boys acting the maggot, this is the real "elephant in the room".

Bit of a false analogy that. Kids play soccer all around the globe and IFA (even with their religious Sunday football bans) were never going to stop kids of a nationalist persuasion play the game. Even when former manager and current captain of women's team have asked them to change anthem, they have not budged nor will they. They play soccer inspite of IFa, not because of any particular moves to make a nationalist feel more welcome.

general_lee

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 07, 2022, 04:03:21 PM

Or even one.

Do you know the religious backgrounds of the Down team that stripped out yesterday? I don't, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Down may have had one or two among their ranks - hence why I commented on this thread. I know of several people from non-Catholic backgrounds that have stripped out for Down clubs and most famously one who won an All-Ireland with the county team. So eh, yeah, I'll leave that thought with you.

6th sam

The IFA are making genuine strides for which I applaud them . Given the changing demographics, It's in their interest to promote interest and affinity amongst the "Catholic " community, I sense the IFA and many NÍ supporters are genuinely ashamed around the Neil Lennon, Celtic issue and embarrassed around partisan  flags , and GTSQ as opposed to a unique anthem like Scotland snd Wales . 
To be fair though , if a Catholic decides to play for Ní , it's public knowledge and nobody on the nationalist side bats an eye. However for Protestants playing the GAA , some would fear a backlash within elements of their own community. I think unionists politicians fostering Antagonism or a begrudging attitude towards the GAA suits a hard unionist agenda that continues to denigrate anything Irish, and makes it a more difficult decision  for unionists to join the GAA . Keeping unionists numbers down in the GAA , suits some unionists to portray it as sectarian . Contentious Anthems and naming around sports on this island needs exploration and with goodwill there'll be workable solutions  Acceptance that it's a two way street for both the GAA and the IFA is a good starting point .

general_lee

A very well done on getting people to play the most popular sport on the planet 😂👍🏼
All the while singing the English national anthem and flying a defunct loyalist flag  ::)

Evil Genius

Quote from: weareros on February 07, 2022, 05:14:33 PM
Bit of a false analogy that. Kids play soccer all around the globe and IFA (even with their religious Sunday football bans) were never going to stop kids of a nationalist persuasion play the game. Even when former manager and current captain of women's team have asked them to change anthem, they have not budged nor will they. They play soccer inspite of IFa, not because of any particular moves to make a nationalist feel more welcome.
Kids having a kickabout is one thing. But clubs in exclusively Nationalist area having IFA-affiliated teams, playing in  completely mixed leagues and cups, and routinely supplying players for NI representative teams at all levels is on another scale entirely and has no equivalent anywhere in GAA i9n the six counties.

Which is because for all our undoubted problems and faults etc, soccer in NI, both at official and unofficial levels, has addressed the issue, with ever more impressive results. (Note how few Nationalist players "defect" to the FAI, for instance).

While GAA has failed utterly to achieve anything like that sort of cross-particupation, preferring (as I see it) to ignore the problem, other than when a few token efforts are made when government funding is on offer..

P.S. There is no longer a Sunday ban, while many (most?) of the NI fans I know would happily replace GSTQ with some other anthem. Which itself is only played at international matches, unlike eg GAA games, where the Soldiers Song is meant to be played at every level, on every occasion, I believe. (Open to correction on that last one)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

weareros

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 07, 2022, 05:38:11 PM
Kids having a kickabout is one thing. But clubs in exclusively Nationalist area having IFA-affiliated teams, playing in  completely mixed leagues and cups, and routinely supplying players for NI representative teams at all levels is on another scale entirely and has no equivalent anywhere in GAA i9n the six counties.

Which is because for all our undoubted problems and faults etc, soccer in NI, both at official and unofficial levels, has addressed the issue, with ever more impressive results. (Note how few Nationalist players "defect" to the FAI, for instance).

While GAA has failed utterly to achieve anything like that sort of cross-particupation, preferring (as I see it) to ignore the problem, other than when a few token efforts are made when government funding is on offer..

P.S. There is no longer a Sunday ban, while many (most?) of the NI fans I know would happily replace GSTQ with some other anthem. Which itself is only played at international matches, unlike eg GAA games, where the Soldiers Song is meant to be played at every level, on every occasion, I believe. (Open to correction on that last one)

I know there's no longer a ban. Point is nationalists still played for NI even when the IFA was the sporting wing of the Free Presbyterian Church and sectarianism was rampant in terraces. It's a global game and it is ridiculous giving the IFA credit. Also I saw recent polls with NI supporters saying they are not willing to have a more neutral anthem. Will try and find.

6th sam

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 07, 2022, 05:38:11 PM

Correction provided : anthem is played at  a tiny percentage of GAA matches. A false narrative around widespread playing of the anthem at GAA activity is  An example of a common misconception , or deliberately misleading narrative around the GAA by those with a blinkered anti-GAA agenda.

The IFA decided in their wisdom , that a large portion of their allocation of sports funding package for GAA/soccer/rugby would be channelled into Grass roots. Maybe I'm reading this wrong,  but are you saying that  the IFA should be congratulated for using public money to support grass roots football clubs and schools in nationalist areas?  The GAA distributes it's developiment money in clubs throughout NI regardless of location. They are delighted to go in to integrated and state schools and though we have many members who attend those schools , the enthusiasm to welcome GAA in those schools is not always there. This is a throwback to my original point, many people and organisations are afraid to embrace the GAA because of overt/covert antagonism , and/or promotion of a false narrative of the GAA from within unionism. The IFA does not experience the same antagonism from within nationalism , despite an unwelcoming history around partisan flags, anthems and more serious issues.
Hopefully that makes sense EG, and helps alter your opinion of the GAA.

seafoid

Also "Sectarian abuse from the free staters" is wrong. I didn't abuse anyone.
"Some" or "certain" but not "the".

6th sam

Quote from: seafoid on February 07, 2022, 06:23:50 PM
Also "Sectarian abuse from the free staters" is wrong. I didn't abuse anyone.
"Some" or "certain" but not "the".

Agree, a tiny percentage of people seafoid , and anyway you're not a free stater 😜

Wildweasel74

The term free state not disappear yrs ago.?

Jell 0 Biafra