Sectarian abuse from the free staters

Started by Truth hurts, February 07, 2022, 11:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snapchap

Quote from: seafoid on February 07, 2022, 01:10:01 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on February 07, 2022, 12:07:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 07, 2022, 11:35:37 AM
Despicable behaviour that has no place in GAA.
"Free Staters" is also rancid. The Free State disappeared decades ago.

The political construct, yes. The mindset (which is what is being talked about here) is evidently alive and well in certain quarters.
I don't understand the point of the Free Stater insult . If there is going to be a UI who will pay for it ? I think the insult is trina cheile.

Most economists would suggest that a UI would involve a fairly significant economic boost, but that's neither here nor there.

The "Free Stater" point, in relation to a particular mindset some folk have, is to my mind not hard to understand at all.

tiempo

Quote from: Snapchap on February 07, 2022, 01:28:49 PM

The political construct, yes. The mindset (which is what is being talked about here) is evidently alive and well in certain quarters.
I don't understand the point of the Free Stater insult . If there is going to be a UI who will pay for it ? I think the insult is trina cheile.

Most economists would suggest that a UI would involve a fairly significant economic boost, but that's neither here nor there.

The "Free Stater" point, in relation to a particular mindset some folk have, is to my mind not hard to understand at all.

Sure hasn't Danny Morrison got a new book out specifically about it

https://twitter.com/molloy1916/status/1490288552168538113/photo/1

yellowcard

I'd say this is nowhere near as common as it was in the past but it probably still does go on. Its not that long ago that I remember Billy Sheehan was embroiled in a row over singing GSTQ to Ciaran McKeever at an Armagh v Laois match.

J70

Its like everything else in the GAA: "Ah sure its just a bit of handbags and harmless enough stuff".

Just like the embarrassing, idiotic scenes in the Armagh-Tyrone game yesterday.

"Sure they're all at it".

Even if there are rules against it, the lawyers will get involved and get everyone off on some ludicrous technicality.

So nothing will change.

seafoid

Absorbing NI would be more like West Germany taking on East Germany. GDP per head is far lower. The Union didn't do much for investment.
The war didn't help either.

https://www.nisra.gov.uk/statistics/economic-output-statistics/gross-value-added-and-gross-domestic-product#:~:text=In%20terms%20of%20GDP%20per%20head%2C%20Northern%20Ireland,less%20than%202018%20%2878.1%20per%20cent%20of%20UK%29.
NI GVA per head in 2019 increased by 2.0 per cent in current basic prices (to £22,298) between 2018 and 2019, meanwhile the UK increased by 2.9 per cent. Both Wales and the North East had lower GVA per head than Northern Ireland (£21,295 and £20,727 respectively).
NI GVA per head was 75.3 per cent of the UK figure which is lower than 2018 (76.0 per cent of UK).

Snapchap

Quote from: seafoid on February 07, 2022, 01:48:21 PM

Absorbing NI would be more like West Germany taking on East Germany. GDP per head is far lower. The Union didn't do much for investment.
The war didn't help either.

https://www.nisra.gov.uk/statistics/economic-output-statistics/gross-value-added-and-gross-domestic-product#:~:text=In%20terms%20of%20GDP%20per%20head%2C%20Northern%20Ireland,less%20than%202018%20%2878.1%20per%20cent%20of%20UK%29.
NI GVA per head in 2019 increased by 2.0 per cent in current basic prices (to £22,298) between 2018 and 2019, meanwhile the UK increased by 2.9 per cent. Both Wales and the North East had lower GVA per head than Northern Ireland (£21,295 and £20,727 respectively).
NI GVA per head was 75.3 per cent of the UK figure which is lower than 2018 (76.0 per cent of UK).

Nothing in that challenges either of my two points.

Mikhail Prokhorov

nordies are too precious imo   ::)

always the victim

imtommygunn

JoG2

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on February 07, 2022, 02:16:25 PM
nordies are too precious imo   ::)

always the victim

Nordies v Freestaters and Shinnerbots v The Stoops, and not a unionist in sight! United we stand! Up the Emerald Isle!

6th sam

Quote from: screenexile on February 07, 2022, 11:46:33 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on February 07, 2022, 11:26:01 AM
Sectarian? That would be unusual seeing as GAA players would traditionally be from the same 'sect'.

You would think that but there's very few men in my experience haven't been called a "black bastard" or "Nordie p***k" when playing down South.

It's not exactly pleasant but I wouldn't be running to the media about it, if they're not calling you that they'll find some other way of calling you a **** it never really worried me as to the exact wording.

Staunch Republicans around Tyrone telling me to go back to Londonderry or calling me a Londonderry bastard is a particular highlight... but then you're not exactly dealing with the sharpest tools in the shed with that bunch!!

Obviously I didn't hear it , but It would be unusual for anyone to make this up.
Have to be honest though , despite several of my own relatives experiencing antagonism as northerners living in the south, that in several years of involvement in GAA matches in various roles and levels , I haven't experienced any antagonism . So though it undoubtedly happens it's probably bilateral and thankfully rare. Unless officials heard it there's nothing official can be done, but it's important to highlight it , as increased awareness , will hopefully eradicate it.
Thankfully Down had the right answer in winning on the field , adding To the embarrassment for the allleged mouthy players . A county such as Carlow , slap in the middle of Hurling country, and with no other major competitive sports rivalry to deal with , travelled up to Down that has only 3 established hurling clubs, with a combined feeder population of ~4000. Clubs  who have had to fight for their very existence in the face of real sectarian antagonism including vandalising , burning  , underfunding , and under provision of council support. Lower Ards is a special place , where Hurling is fostered against all the odds , I'm sure Carlow gaels were humbled in more way than one yesterday , and maybe they'll learn from the experience .
I ask that Those that accuse us of being " victims" in an insulting derogatory sense, just reflect on this single point. Your Fellow members of the GAA on this same island , have suffered horrendously as a result of their GAA membership, that's fact. Thankfully the GAA in the North has thrived in the face of adversity . A bit of sledging on the field pails into significance compared to murder, club burning, harassment from British armed forces that northern gaels had to endure , and insulting us as "poor me, nordies " perhaps betrays your own sense of shame and embarrassment that you didn't do enough to support us.
I feel a real admiration for what ROI has achieved in the last 100 years but there's still plenty to work on, including the lack of empathy from some towards those Equally passionate Irish who happened to be living North of the border when the treaty was signed 100 years ago . This treaty resulted in continuing conflict , and exposed "Irish" in the North to sectarianism, discrimination and murder. In my opinion, the conflict here could have been resolved years ago, if Northern nationalists didn't have to "paddle their own canoe "most of the time in calling out the actions within this sectarian statelet .
Pathetic and Laughable  sledging, or accusing Nordies of exaggerated victimhood,  is perhaps a  distraction technique  for those embarrassed by the lack of empathy and support from many in the South towards the North in the past 100 years. More importantly, well done Down, another small step in improving hurling in our county.

Keyser soze

FS you would think people on both sides of this would grow up, ye musta had a brave sheltered upbringing if some guy calling you a nordie or a freestater on a football pitch upsets you. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Keyser soze on February 07, 2022, 02:54:46 PM
FS you would think people on both sides of this would grow up, ye musta had a brave sheltered upbringing if some guy calling you a nordie or a freestater on a football pitch upsets you.

Nah we should just let rip with all the slagging, nothing spared
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Couldn't agree more. Doesn't make it right, but It would be a long time before I'd be annoyed at someone calling me a black b*****d. Id be laughing at them.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Keyser soze

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2022, 03:15:54 PM

Nah we should just let rip with all the slagging, nothing spared

I think you have completely missed my point. There are certainly many things that are beyond the pale but if the best someone can do is some puerile bollocks like this, why on earth would any adult let it get to them let alone make an issue out of it afterwards. 

general_lee

And if there was an actual Protestant or someone from a unionist background stripped out for Down yesterday, what's the course of action then? "Ah don't worry, it's only a bit of sledging"