Mayo v New York, Gaelic Park 10.05.09

Started by Barney, April 28, 2009, 08:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Ros has been scathing about Hartes ability since he was bought onto the Senior squad - even scathing about it before then. Something must have happened between them. Harte is one of the more natural footballers at our disposal

Farrandeelin

I wonder will Mayo rack up a total near the 3-27 they scored the last time they travelled to NY. I don't think so somehow.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BigJohnBrowne

Have fun in NY, don't think their up to much this year.

Got a link to 2 sets of pics from last years Leitrim trip courtesy of www.LeitrimGAA.ie web gallery

Pre Match: http://www.leitrimgaa.ie/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=20245

Game Shots: http://www.leitrimgaa.ie/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=20439

No worries about tickets as it's cash on the gate about $20 (from memory)

rosnarun

This is not a conspiracy but there are only 15 shirts so if hes in some one better is missing out.I just dont see a starting place for the guy.
hes either midfield or a half forward .
players id prefer to see at midfied would be Mcgarrity, both osheas,heaney,BJP,Barry moran,parsons
half forwards would include trevor Andy moran ronaldson bJP again Dillion,Aidan Kilcoyne and if possible Campbell.

hes fine as a utility sub. but not a starter,  
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on May 01, 2009, 12:29:41 AM
This is not a conspiracy but there are only 15 shirts so if hes in some one better is missing out.I just dont see a starting place for the guy.
players id prefer to see at midfied would be Mcgarrity, both osheas,heaney,BJP,Barry moran,parsons
half forwards would include trevor Andy moran ronaldson bJP again Dillion,Aidan Kilcoyne and if possible Campbell.

Your entitled to your opinion Rosnarun and few would doubt your preferences for midfield if - and it s a big if - some of those guys were ever out of the garage.
As for the half - forwards, we may well be glad of him and I d have him in there anyway. What are your odds of Trevor and Alan not pulling up with pulls and knocks before even connacht is over. Campbell is history for now unfortunately but to put Ronaldson before Harte is an act of faith. To put Andy ahead of him shows the same appreciation of a footballer as Johnno himself. Kilcoyne before Harte is pure silly. BJP is always worthy of consideration if he s down to fighting weight.

I m not expecting a good year Rosnarun for obvious reasons but I think we ll find that Harte will be one of our better ones this year.

rosnarun

QuoteI m not expecting a good year Rosnarun for obvious reasons but I think we ll find that Harte will be one of our better ones this year.
i think the first would follow the second. but i dont see the obvious reasons fpr a bad year. we are nt in a vintage period and have very little to fear out there.

my own prefernce for the 3 half forwards would be Dillion andy and roanldson , mayo are not going to horse any one out of it so we might as well go with footballers
roanldson has shown plenty this year to point to a long career with mayo . I predict a very gig  future for him Prob at CHF .

AbbeySider

Quote from: rosnarun on May 01, 2009, 12:29:41 AM

The Harte argument is a no brainer. He is a fine footballer and has never let us down.
He was a fantastic unger age player and is a footballer to his toes. He is definitely one of our more natural players.

He complements McGarity or Parsons when played in the middle. He has a good brain playing at number 10 or 12, and a sweet left foot. Playing Harte in the half forward line gives us an extra option for kickouts too as he is a fantastic fielder.

Naming O Se's, Heaney, BJP, Moran ahead of him in the middle or Andy, Ronaldson, BJP, Kilcoyne and Campbell ahead of him in the half forward line is borderline lunacy. Its either you have an obvious grudge against him or you know nothing about football. Maybe both.

Its actually pathetic naming players that have not played in the middle for their club or county for YEARS ahead of Harte. Goes to show what you know.

kevmy

Well tbh I don't think Harte is an intercounty midfielder. He just doesn't quite win enough ball in the air and isn't enough of a groundhog otherwise. So I'd have McGarrity and Parsons starting there with S O Sé (if fit) as first sub.

Having said that I'd find a place for Harte in the half forward line. He's tough, smart and strong with the ability to kick long range points and pick a pass. He's much more consistent than Kilcoyne and further down the road that Ronaldson. BJP is a decent player too and for me it comes down to 3 player from 5 for the half forwards and I'd have Trevor Harte and Dillon

AbbeySider

Quote from: kevmy on May 01, 2009, 12:23:35 PM
Well tbh I don't think Harte is an intercounty midfielder. He just doesn't quite win enough ball in the air and isn't enough of a groundhog otherwise. So I'd have McGarrity and Parsons starting there with S O Sé (if fit) as first sub.

Having said that I'd find a place for Harte in the half forward line. He's tough, smart and strong with the ability to kick long range points and pick a pass. He's much more consistent than Kilcoyne and further down the road that Ronaldson. BJP is a decent player too and for me it comes down to 3 player from 5 for the half forwards and I'd have Trevor Harte and Dillon

I dont mind that half forward line. Harte is defiantly smart enough for Centre Forward or Wing Forward. He can take a score and as I said is an extra option for kickouts. Also his kick passing is exceptional.

I would have different opinions though of what a midfield partnership should be. For me, Parsons and McGarity are too similar to play along side each other in mid-field. McGarity is a good fielder but sometimes gives away very soft frees with simple mistakes that a county footballer should not make. Im not sure has McGarity the physicallity for it either. Harte does the grafting, and as you said is strong and is as honest as you will get. My ideal partnership would be Harte and Parsons in the middle.

IolarCoisCuain

People always question McGarrity's physicality. I seem to remember an interview with Seán Cavanagh in the Sunday Times either last year or the year before when he spoke of what a terrible time he got off McGarrity in that game in 2004. Reckoned McGarrity was all over him like a rash. He had him plagued.

I can't find a link - and it's not for want of trying - but if anyone has one they might stick it up. It's certainly something to think about.

rosnarun

do no place for Mcgarrity? .our best heads up footballer. It all very well coming off the field losing a gallon of sweat or blood but football intelligence must be rted much higher and thats waht Ronan gives us in spades and parsons witth do ll the graft we need but with an end product more often than not .
to go forward mayo must look to see whats good about the team and how they play at their best. in other words devise there own game plan. I believe taht must be based on intelligent quick think fast releasing football . and that is why Mcgarrity Dillion gardener andy k higgins L omalley howley  ronaldson and maybe in the future Vaughn and cunniffe are the men the team should be built around .
It is in this context  I have a problem with harte and Austin o malley .in a different kind of a team they could fit in well perhaps.

RedandGreenSniper

Trevor Mortimer is the Mayo captain for the championship, Peadar Gardiner vice-captain. Announced today afaik.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Lar Naparka

Trevor is a good choice as long as he keeps the temper and manages somehow to stay clear of injury. Maybe that's a big ask in both cases!
I presume both he and Peadar were voted in by the payers' panel as has been the case under O'Mahony to date.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Barney

Trevor for all his footballing his faults never fails to get stuck in, give his all, and has been a great servent.

What I worry about is a pulled hamstring in the first game on a Summer pitch - fitness has been his problem the past few years, and we need a captain that is going to be there for the full Summer.

In year 1 of the current management Kevin O'Neill did not always line out, last year it was probably to much of a weight for Ronan McGarrity to carry after recovering from illness, and so it has to be hoped that Trevor is a luckier general and gets his hands on the Nestor Cup on 19th July.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 03, 2009, 11:10:53 AM
Trevor is a good choice as long as he keeps the temper and manages somehow to stay clear of injury. Maybe that's a big ask in both cases!
I presume both he and Peadar were voted in by the payers' panel as has been the case under O'Mahony to date.

I cant argue if the players voted. But I do think Dillon was overlooked as he is one of the only players that has shown any sort of leadership so far