Meath Mightily Migrate from Mediocrity, Maybe.

Started by thejuice, April 03, 2012, 01:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

All the Meath board have to do is ask Banty to put forward his name for a renomination process to select the manager for the rest of the season.
Banty is in principle averse to submitting his name under such circumstances, overriding his other principle of 'not quitting'.

camanchero

Quote from: Hardy on April 12, 2012, 05:36:24 PM
I have no idea. We have to get the garlic and the wooden stake out and deal with Banty first.

I'd like to see Seán back. I know of no other potential candidate with four All-Ireland's on his CV. Failing that, Coyle. I liked the way we were going under him and his resignation was an understandable but extreme reaction to a one-off debacle. Harnan, O'Rourke, McEntee - someone who knows first-hand the requirements for success at the top level and would command the respect of the players - with a steel toecap, if necessary.
I dont think O'rourke and harnan are quite good enough for this (yet).

Sean Kelly might be a good solution
Right now I'd go for McEntee and McEntee.
If the could get on , I think the best option for Meath football would be Gerry and Andy McEntee.

Gerry has added a couple more years and hardened his ways in management and is now a far better option for the job than when first touted a few seasons ago.
His brother Andy is a ruthless manager (far more so than Gerry) and if they could get on (as each of them are single minded) I believe the combination would caapult meath county football back into punching above its weight like it was in the mid/late 90's.

These two lads havent worked as a team before so as a football management unit - thsy are untested.
But as brothers and as two lads that have played together on the great meath teams of the late 80's and early 90's - they should have a dynamic that others wont.

Dont know if Gerry would take the gig though.

Dont Matter

Boylan back? Meath for Leinster is 10/1. You might feel dirty picking up your winnings but it will soften the blow in having to watch them win again.  >:(
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

haranguerer

Quote from: Jinxy on April 12, 2012, 12:54:51 PM
Would ye take Banty Myles?

He mightnt, but I know a lad who would!!  :D (from the nfl 2 thread)

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 25, 2012, 04:34:24 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 25, 2012, 04:25:42 PM
Ask Meath there and I'd say they'll be happy enough to give yis the banty back...
And I'd be more than happy to have him back. I predicted disaster when he was ousted and that's what it has been. Unless there was some super high-profile manager in the wings, there was absolutely no reason to get rid of him.

thejuice

It's only a temporary solution and as must respect I have for Seán, it would be beyond his powers to turn us into Leinster champions given the time and talent at his disposal. We might improve somewhat but the problems with the county board and underage structures are the real problem and must be resolved if we want meaningful long lasting improvements. 
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magpie seanie

Bunty should have walked and gone back to the comics.

Louth Exile

Apologies if it has already been posted up on another thread!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Jinxy

If they won't play for Seán, let them f**k off altogether.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maguire01

Quote from: haranguerer on April 13, 2012, 01:41:01 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 12, 2012, 12:54:51 PM
Would ye take Banty Myles?

He mightnt, but I know a lad who would!!  :D (from the nfl 2 thread)

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 25, 2012, 04:34:24 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 25, 2012, 04:25:42 PM
Ask Meath there and I'd say they'll be happy enough to give yis the banty back...
And I'd be more than happy to have him back. I predicted disaster when he was ousted and that's what it has been. Unless there was some super high-profile manager in the wings, there was absolutely no reason to get rid of him.
You quote me as if my opinion is 'off the wall'! Poll a decent amount of Monaghan supporters and i'd imagine a healthy majority would swap the current management team for Banty.

haranguerer

Syferus

I get the attraction in giving the reins to an old hand who the supporters lionise, but the decay that Banty inherited all happened under Boylan's watch. He was a decidedly average to poor manager in the later years of his tenure. I'd as soon find a young gun who wants a shot to earn the job permannently than returning to that well again.

No that I'm complaining,  I've already penciled in our match agaisnt Meath as our tie of the division next year and I wouldn't want the Royals too set.  ;)

Jinxy

We'll be dragged to Kiltoom for that one I suppose.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Syferus on April 13, 2012, 08:26:25 PM
I get the attraction in giving the reins to an old hand who the supporters lionise, but the decay that Banty inherited all happened under Boylan's watch. He was a decidedly average to poor manager in the later years of his tenure. I'd as soon find a young gun who wants a shot to earn the job permannently than returning to that well again.

No that I'm complaining,  I've already penciled in our match agaisnt Meath as our tie of the division next year and I wouldn't want the Royals too set.  ;)

Meath, Roscommon, Cavan, counties with great football traditions, all in division 3 next year, but spare a thought for Offaly who will find themselves in division 4 next year.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Syferus

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on April 13, 2012, 08:38:48 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 13, 2012, 08:34:20 PM
We'll be dragged to Kiltoom for that one I suppose.

Ballinlough  ;)

Jinxy can sit in the tree so he can see the match over all the tall Ros buckos.