Will Wexford ever honour their greatest sportsman?

Started by Silky, November 02, 2009, 11:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silky

For a couple of years now the Labour Party has been trying to get a statue of Nicky Rackard errected at Selsker Square in Wexford town. Local business men have opposted the idea. Shame on them!

It's time Wexford men stood up and did something to rmind them of their greatest hurler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5aBDCeLL28

INDIANA

EddieMerx

Local Business men oppose it because there is nothing in it for them

Lecale2

Quote from: EddieMerx on November 03, 2009, 11:57:37 AM

There must be more to it than that?

Maybe they're afraid that Cllr Lawlor will come along and sing outside their shops?

muppet

Life must be very complicated in Wexford.

Do they object to...oh say rain...because there is nothing in it for them?
MWWSI 2017

thejuice

Anyone know the real reason why they are objecting? Or if it is a case of "whats in it for me", do you have proof?

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

EddieMerx

Quote from: muppet on November 05, 2009, 03:44:14 PM

Don't see your point? Rain is a natural occuring event where as financing, erecting and getting planning permission is a man made event, I suppose the way they see it (and you can agree with them in some part) is that in these hard times surely the money could be better utilised.

EddieMerx

Quote from: thejuice on November 06, 2009, 10:40:53 AM
Anyone know the real reason why they are objecting? Or if it is a case of "whats in it for me", do you have proof?

Not so much what is in it for them (as in bribes) but the reality is that businessmen pay rates to Councils. The cost of erecting such a statute could be quite expensive, perhaps this is a sign of what needs to be done nationwide whereby people question how public money is spent. I think it is far easier to argue why the money should be diverted to cleaning up and re-generating areas of the town.

muppet

Quote from: EddieMerx on November 06, 2009, 12:33:51 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 05, 2009, 03:44:14 PM

Don't see your point? Rain is a natural occuring event where as financing, erecting and getting planning permission is a man made event, I suppose the way they see it (and you can agree with them in some part) is that in these hard times surely the money could be better utilised.

On them?
MWWSI 2017

EddieMerx

Quote from: muppet on November 06, 2009, 09:54:26 PM

On them?

??? ??? sorry, not meaning to be funny here but you are making very little sense. I thought I made the reasoning behind why they object very clear, if not please read my above posts

Bud Wiser

One of the reasons could be precedent being set.  For example when a friend of ours died recently we offered a perpetual trophy for the pub pitch and putt club that he was involved in and they refused because others had passed away that had no trophy.  You can walk into a minefield with these type of things and the cement would not be dry around the base of the yoke before someone would be asking why was there no statue of Billy Rackard, or Bobby Rackard (Named in Hurling Team of the Century) or Art Foley or Paudge Kehoe, or Tim Flood or Nick O'Donnell (Named in Hurling Team of the Century) or Ned Wheeler or Jim English etc, etc.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

muppet

Quote from: EddieMerx on November 08, 2009, 04:30:52 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 06, 2009, 09:54:26 PM

On them?

??? ??? sorry, not meaning to be funny here but you are making very little sense. I thought I made the reasoning behind why they object very clear, if not please read my above posts

Council want to erect statue to local hero.

Local businesses object because it is of no benefit to them.

Do they object to everything that is of no benefit to them? For example a new road in Dungavan? Increase in the Pension?

Usually people simply ignore things that have nothing in it for them, unless either they are forced to pay for it or it is in someway offensive. You mentioned neither.
MWWSI 2017

EddieMerx

Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2009, 06:36:47 PM

Do they object to everything that is of no benefit to them? For example a new road in Dungavan? Increase in the Pension?

Usually people simply ignore things that have nothing in it for them, unless either they are forced to pay for it or it is in someway offensive. You mentioned neither.

Public money being spent to erect a statue for a local GAA legend, what benefit is that to the community? Businessmen are the strongest lobbyist's on council matters and I do not see if spending money on a statue would bring more money into the Wexford economy. People usually ignore such things but look where that has got our public finances, 15 billion debt and rising :-\ Increase in pensions wouldn't be made on a local council basis and I think all finances for Transport links are done at a national level (have you ever seen how much lobbying goes on regarding road building??)

Also as noted earlier, the council get most of their finance from rates paid by businessmen

muppet

Quote from: EddieMerx on November 08, 2009, 08:37:32 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2009, 06:36:47 PM

Public money being spent to erect a statue for a local GAA legend, what benefit is that to the community?

You come onto a Gaa site to say that.

On your bike WUM.
MWWSI 2017

EddieMerx

Your name is very apt! the thread is about why businessmen are kicking up a fuss over not spending money on a statue! tell me what benefit the statue will bring to the wexford town economy from erecting this statue?? or perhaps explain why Wexford Library should lose financing as the money is being diverted to build a statue? GET SOME PERSPECTIVE