Star Wars

Started by omaghjoe, December 15, 2015, 10:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: The Iceman on January 05, 2016, 04:16:38 PM
so whats the theory on Rey? why is she so strong in the force? is she as off the charts as Annakin was? I thought that maybe she was a Solo? Ben's sister? That embrace from the general.... then my brother in law said he read she was Ben Kenobi's grand-daughter...

I was thinking Luke's daughter but that's possibly a bit too obvious.

thewobbler

I'm going to come across as an apologist as well as a nerd but:

- the whole point of kylo Ren looking like a spotty child is that he is a spotty child, except one who through parentage has been given an unusual cocktail of big force and evil callings. All those people who wanted to know why the inexperienced Rey could hold her own against him, should know that above all else he's still a spotty child.

- r2d2 was under instructions from Luke to not reveal the map until the appearance of herself. He wasn't tired, or broken, or broken hearted, just in waiting.

AZOffaly

Quote from: thewobbler on January 05, 2016, 04:22:36 PM

- the whole point of kylo Ren looking like a spotty child is that he is a spotty child, except one who through parentage has been given an unusual cocktail of big force and evil callings. All those people who wanted to know why the inexperienced Rey could hold her own against him, should know that above all else he's still a spotty child.

- r2d2 was under instructions from Luke to not reveal the map until the appearance of herself. He wasn't tired, or broken, or broken hearted, just in waiting.

I agree with both of those. I think the casting was supposed to reflect angst ridden, tormented spoilt child. I suspect he will become more bitter and a better villain before the inevitable redemption and/or death.

The R2D2 thing I thought was obvious. Luke was in hiding, so why would R2D2 show the map? If it was time for the Map to be put together, hey presto. It was a very convoluted map to Kerry though. Surely AA Route Planner would have given them a better one, even allowing for a bypass of Adare and Newcastlewest.

thewobbler

Who is Rey?

Given that the core Star Wars storylines tend to centre around a small bunch of inter-related people, it's unlikely that Rey is being pulled in from left field.

So, seeing as she's a desert-dweller of unusually strong force capabilities, she would have to be from either the Kenobi or Skywalker lineage.

She's not directly from Obi Wan unless he also has somehow learned how to spurt from a vision, and I'd imagine Luke is too much of a pious goodie two shoes Jedi to be bothering with wives and children.

So that really only leaves her as a sister of Kylo Ren, maybe even her twin, or as a niece or granddaughter of Obi Wan (again granddaughter is unlikely as Obi would be too committed to be taking a wife on the side).

The obvious, Star Wars, way would be to have her as Kylo Ren's twin, but that doesn't really fit with her memories of being left behind; he'd have been too young to show the real leaning to the dark side that saw them dump her somewhere safe from Ren (under the watchful eye of whoever it is that's the old friend of the rebellion at the start) and saw Luke f**k off to Skellig to get a breather. So if this is their story, then she'd have to be 2-3 years at least younger than Ren. At which point you've got to think that Ren isn't going to be long working a few things out.

Personally I hope they go down the niece-of-Kenobi route. It would give the overall storyline so much greater scope to head off in different directions from the original series. It would open up a story about Obi Wan's lineage. She could be one of many in the family. She could get together with Ren and make and even more confused force-enabled child. Etc.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Yeah with her having memories of being left behind by her parents she was clearly older that what would be regarded as a baby. Whoever it was left her behind clearly knew she would be in danger and left her as far away from it as possible. Much the same as Leia and Luke were separated at birth by Obi wan to protect them from the empire.

Its clear she will be the main role in the next two film. Im glad to see it as her character is really good and one that will develop into an even stronger one.

Maz Kanata clearly knows the craic and shes holding out on information as to how she got Lukes lightsaber.

Did she survive the attack on the outpost they were in? i cant rem what happened there.
hurl like f**k boi!

Syferus

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 06, 2016, 10:46:18 AM
Yeah with her having memories of being left behind by her parents she was clearly older that what would be regarded as a baby. Whoever it was left her behind clearly knew she would be in danger and left her as far away from it as possible. Much the same as Leia and Luke were separated at birth by Obi wan to protect them from the empire.

Its clear she will be the main role in the next two film. Im glad to see it as her character is really good and one that will develop into an even stronger one.

Maz Kanata clearly knows the craic and shes holding out on information as to how she got Lukes lightsaber.

Did she survive the attack on the outpost they were in? i cant rem what happened there.

I highly doubt they're going to waste time explaining how she got the lightsaber. Luke lost it in Cloud City, it ended up with her. Not much worth telling.

deiseach

Quote from: Syferus on January 06, 2016, 12:00:18 PM
I highly doubt they're going to waste time explaining how she got the lightsaber. Luke lost it in Cloud City, it ended up with her. Not much worth telling.

QuoteRemove everything that has no relevance to the story. If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there - Anton Chekhov

thebigfella

Quote from: thewobbler on January 05, 2016, 04:22:36 PM

Agreed. The worst thing is listening to people compare him to Vader and Maul and how he was not as menacing. He has plenty of scope to develop as a character as opposed to the others with complete back stories.

oakleaflad

I would imagine this will be a story for a book rather than in the next films.

My theory is Rey is so powerful as she has been trained before. Luke wiped her memory and hid her when Kylo Ren turned to the dark side. Luke then went to find the Jedi temple. I think she is most likely Luke's daughter but sure who knows.

Also hope Snoke is Darth Plageuis.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 06, 2016, 12:30:40 PM

I would imagine this will be a story for a book rather than in the next films.

My theory is Rey is so powerful as she has been trained before. Luke wiped her memory and hid her when Kylo Ren turned to the dark side. Luke then went to find the Jedi temple. I think she is most likely Luke's daughter but sure who knows.

Also hope Snoke is Darth Plageuis.

Definitely think so.  The final line he says about Ren returning to complete his training shows that there is real scope for there to be a further menacing character development.  My 2 cents worth is that he will learn the skills of resurrection from Snoke/Plageuis and then will ultimately bring his father back to life!

oakleaflad

Syferus

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 06, 2016, 01:18:06 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 06, 2016, 01:03:44 PM
http://comicbook.com/2016/01/06/andy-serkis-confirms-supreme-leader-snoke-is-not-darth-plagueis/
That title is misleading and there is no chance he is 'just Snoke' no matter what Serkis says.

Snoke is probably a Sith though. You might be disappointed if you think there's much tie-in with someone from the past.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Syferus on January 06, 2016, 01:20:17 PM
http://comicbook.com/2016/01/06/andy-serkis-confirms-supreme-leader-snoke-is-not-darth-plagueis/
That title is misleading and there is no chance he is 'just Snoke' no matter what Serkis says.

Snoke is probably a Sith though. You might be disappointed if you think there's much tie-in with someone from the past.
Probably will be, I'm not convinced it's him but rather hope that it is as I think it would make for a good story. There are similarities between Reys staff and Plageius's lightsaber, him being 7ft something tall etc. which made me lean in that direction and get thinking.

Yeah Serkis was never going to come out and say Snoke is Darth whoever before the films. I was pretty impressed at how much of the film they managed to keep secret and would hope that they do the same with the coming films.

Syferus

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 06, 2016, 01:26:29 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 06, 2016, 01:20:17 PM

Probably will be, I'm not convinced it's him but rather hope that it is as I think it would make for a good story. There are similarities between Reys staff and Plageius's lightsaber, him being 7ft something tall etc. which made me lean in that direction and get thinking.

Yeah Serkis was never going to come out and say Snoke is Darth whoever before the films. I was pretty impressed at how much of the film they managed to keep secret and would hope that they do the same with the coming films.

It being that Plageius messes up the entire lore of the six films - Anakin was the 'Chosen One', the one who would bring balance to the Force. It should be said Lucas specified that balance is the elimination of the Sith, that the Force's natural state is light. If Palpatine's Sith master was alive all along then Anakin doesn't fulfill the prophecy by killing Palpatine at the end of Jedi.