Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

the Friends Princess Leia episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f9plD-JZsw

the Princess in the original scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMUvVvMLVBU

Note the comments

clarshack

i've seen it twice already and it was even better second time around. going to see it in 3D as well sometime over christmas  ;)

bennydorano

Took the kids today to watch the movie and all of us thoroughly enjoyed it. It's pretty much a rehash (reboot?) of the original tho??

omaghjoe

Seen it the day myself as well Benny

Brilliant show, absolutely loved it, has me chomping at the bit for more.

Acting was great, story too, scenes, costumes, it that bit of unkown to the plot which as well which as helped to give it that bit of mystrey.

Less CGI and more proper props gave it a better spectacle and was less sore on the eyes.

A complete success IMO

Roll on the DVD and the next one

Puckoon

It's top drawer alright. Plenty of nod to the old movies, the right amount of cheese, and some fresh blood. They finally figured out we don't need famous Sith Lords, stupid droids and that there is a harking for the nostalgia of the old movies with new actors and stories. Top drawer.

gallsman

Quote from: bennydorano on December 30, 2015, 06:46:13 PM
Took the kids today to watch the movie and all of us thoroughly enjoyed it. It's pretty much a rehash (reboot?) of the original tho??

I thought exactly the same. Absolutely enjoyed it, has helped banish the memory of the prequels but there's nothing new here. At times it seemed they were painfully aware of how similar it was - NO, REALLY, IT'S NOT A DEATH STAR. LOOK HOW MUCH BIGGER IT IS. Not necessarily a bad thing though.

JPGJOHNNYG

Really enjoyed the film too but it really is a remake more than a sequel but still looking forward to the next one. A few problems with the plot though and not trying to spoil it for anyone but the 'awakening' all seemed to happen a little too fast with zero guidance also kylo ren was awesome unitl he took off his mask at which point from scary bad ass villian who can stop laser beams mid flight he suddenly becomes a moany teenager with virtually no power.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 31, 2015, 08:27:58 AM
Really enjoyed the film too but it really is a remake more than a sequel but still looking forward to the next one. A few problems with the plot though and not trying to spoil it for anyone but the 'awakening' all seemed to happen a little too fast with zero guidance also kylo ren was awesome unitl he took off his mask at which point from scary bad ass villian who can stop laser beams mid flight he suddenly becomes a moany teenager with virtually no power.

Ha ha. Thought the same. It was like a collage fancy dress party, and then Tarquin took the huff.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

gallsman

Aye, I thought he was great until the mask came off and he revealed himself as Severus Snape. Getting his arse handed to him by a couple of rookies weakened him a lot.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: gallsman on December 31, 2015, 09:14:04 AM
Aye, I thought he was great until the mask came off and he revealed himself as Severus Snape. Getting his arse handed to him by a couple of rookies weakened him a lot.

I think that could be the whole point.  We are assuming that the next step will be some redemption etc for him as he has 'issues' about being a dark lord.  I think there may be a bigger twist in this one yet and that the whole 'balance' thing may not be in favour of the good side!

gallsman

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 31, 2015, 09:27:09 AM
Quote from: gallsman on December 31, 2015, 09:14:04 AM

I think that could be the whole point.  We are assuming that the next step will be some redemption etc for him as he has 'issues' about being a dark lord.  I think there may be a bigger twist in this one yet and that the whole 'balance' thing may not be in favour of the good side!

Oh definitely, his whole deal is his struggle to commit fully to the dark side. Still though, a janitor didn't do too badly in a lightsabre fight against a lad trained by a Jedi master.

Minor holes and being very picky, but that's all part of the fun of it.

Syferus

Saw it in the IMAX there yesterday. Really well-made film, totally enjoyable and it captured the spirit of the original trilogy.

That said, it pretty much was a retread of the major story points of A New Hope - Abrams and company played it very safe and weren't confident in their ability to right the Star Wars ship without leaning heavily on the original film's excellent story structure. I only watched A New Hope two days before so the contrast was stark for me.

You can see where this is going too - Rey is probably Luke's daughter, Luke will be her Yoda (just like Luke himself had Yoda in Empire Strikes Back), Kylo Ren will get the full-on Darth Vader prosthetics now and he will likely do something good just before he's finally killed, again like Vader. Finn's the wildcard here - hard to tell what he's going to become at this point, particularly after giving Kylo a good fight with the lightsaber. Basically they need to add their own flavour to Episode VIII or it's almost painfully clear where this is going.

Again I'm saying all that after emensely enjoying The Force Awakens - wonderful blockbuster and Rey is an incredible lead character. The new leads, Rey, Finn and Kylo all are very solid characters. Hopefully they do more with Doe, though, as Issac is a very good actor.

gallsman

Yeah, I thought it was very well acted and as you said Rey is incredibly strong as lead character. I think she's more likely to be Han and Leia's daughter then Luke's. Don't think Jedis are supposed to have kids and twins obviously run in the family. I think based on all the quips, Finn will probably be the new Han.

You hit the nail on the head - fun and enjoyable, but they need something new for the next one.

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on December 31, 2015, 10:10:01 AM
Yeah, I thought it was very well acted and as you said Rey is incredibly strong as lead character. I think she's more likely to be Han and Leia's daughter then Luke's. Don't think Jedis are supposed to have kids and twins obviously run in the family. I think based on all the quips, Finn will probably be the new Han.

You hit the nail on the head - fun and enjoyable, but they need something new for the next one.

Good shout on Rey. It would be attractive for the producers to make the central battle be one of siblings on either side of good and evil alright. They have some explaining to do how Leia and Han lost Rey in that case, though. I was thinking with Luke disappearing her ending up being left on Jakku had a more ready-made reason.

Thought Rey was the total star of the show, much more immediately competent than Luke was at the same stage of his trilogy. Great performance by Riley, good enough to be deserving of an Oscar nomination even.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Syferus on December 31, 2015, 01:47:10 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 31, 2015, 10:10:01 AM

Good shout on Rey. It would be attractive for the producers to make the central battle be one of siblings on either side of good and evil alright. They have some explaining to do how Leia and Han lost Rey in that case, though. I was thinking with Luke disappearing her ending up being left on Jakku had a more ready-made reason.

Thought Rey was the total star of the show, much more immediately competent than Luke was at the same stage of his trilogy. Great performance by Riley, good enough to be deserving of an Oscar nomination even.

Would say Rey is probably no ones.... maybe a fresh virginance in the force? She may have been the pick of Luke's younglings and he hid her when the jedi academy was disbanded.

Any other theories...