Under 21 Final in doubt??

Started by AZOffaly, September 07, 2010, 02:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

I'm glad it's going ahead. It will be a massive test for this young Galway team which is no harm. This Tipp team looks the best U-21 team since Cork in '98 so I'd be happy enough with a good performance and avoiding a heavy defeat.

fearglasmor

Can the Galway board please write back to the CCCC and ask them to list the reasons why they believe Thurles is the fairest venue.

I hope as Byrne says that they do insist on the decision being fully examined and dont alow it to be swept under the carpet.

It seems to me that Cooney & Duffy and probably McKenna are taking the GAA down a road that I have no taste for.
Personally I feel far less a part of the GAA than I did 10 or 15 years ago.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on September 07, 2010, 08:43:14 PM
I bet if it was Kilkenny providing the opposition the feckin thing wouldnt be in Thurles!

It'd actually be in Kilkenny. Before th u21 final was moved to Croker, Kilkenny and Tipp had a home and away arrangement in place. The last final played between the 2 before the Croker spell was in Nowlan Park. The 2 sides drew in the final in 2006 and the replay was fixed for Thurles (it being Tipp's turn for home advantage as per the home/away arrangement).

If it were Kilkenny (moot point) I can't imagine they'd have made an issue out of the venue (though I'm sure they'd have been quietly displeased). It is a completely ridiculous decision though. Cooney has obviously made someone down there a promise that he hasn't the decency to renege on.

Edit: just thinking about it though - I wonder how their home/away arrangement would have fit in with Cooney's arrogant promises...

johnneycool

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on September 08, 2010, 01:34:41 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on September 07, 2010, 08:43:14 PM
I bet if it was Kilkenny providing the opposition the feckin thing wouldnt be in Thurles!

It'd actually be in Kilkenny. Before th u21 final was moved to Croker, Kilkenny and Tipp had a home and away arrangement in place. The last final played between the 2 before the Croker spell was in Nowlan Park. The 2 sides drew in the final in 2006 and the replay was fixed for Thurles (it being Tipp's turn for home advantage as per the home/away arrangement).

If it were Kilkenny (moot point) I can't imagine they'd have made an issue out of the venue (though I'm sure they'd have been quietly displeased). It is a completely ridiculous decision though. Cooney has obviously made someone down there a promise that he hasn't the decency to renege on.

Edit: just thinking about it though - I wonder how their home/away arrangement would have fit in with Cooney's arrogant promises...

All those arrangements are now dead in the water I'd have thought.

magpie seanie

Quote from: fearglasmor on September 08, 2010, 12:12:39 PM
Can the Galway board please write back to the CCCC and ask them to list the reasons why they believe Thurles is the fairest venue.

I hope as Byrne says that they do insist on the decision being fully examined and dont alow it to be swept under the carpet.

It seems to me that Cooney & Duffy and probably McKenna are taking the GAA down a road that I have no taste for.
Personally I feel far less a part of the GAA than I did 10 or 15 years ago.

that sums up how I feel but I wouldn't limit the blame to those 3. They have agents at work in (almost) every county.

Minder

The sooner Corporate Cooney fucks off back to FAS the better , but I have a feeling it will be a similar character filling his shoes.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Reillers

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 08, 2010, 09:49:34 AM
I'm glad it's going ahead. It will be a massive test for this young Galway team which is no harm. This Tipp team looks the best U-21 team since Cork in '98 so I'd be happy enough with a good performance and avoiding a heavy defeat.

They're an excellent team, some of the best matches I've seen in recent years have been U21 games between Cork and Tipp, always very close, always very open and usually a draw.  :)

But seriously though, it's out of line, it's just typical Cooney, and if it was a team like Kilkenny there's no way they'd be ask to play in Thurles, I'm glad they've agreed to it, but it's a disgraceful decision. And Galway should at least ask why the hell they've done Tipp a favour. It's Thurles, it's not like it needs the fixture to bring in money, had they had someone like Frank Murphy, who has his (rare) moments and uses, he would have found a way around it.

Not Cooney's greatest moment. FFS, and fairy unfair on everyone involved with the Galway side.

Farrandeelin

Hope Galway win it now. Wouldn't it be gas!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

fearglasmor

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 08, 2010, 07:52:16 PM
Hope Galway win it now. Wouldn't it be gas!

It would be great for Galway but it would be used by Cooney to "prove" the he,  I mean,  the cccc were correct in the decision they made.

Dougal

i see galway have only sold 240 tickets for them game,fair play to everyone who didnt buy a ticket.a disgraceful decision and the sooner cooney is gone the better.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Donnellys Hollow

2 minutes gone

2 goals for Tipp

2 wides for Galway
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

cicfada

Tipp 3-11 to 0-09 up after 10 mins of the second half! Tipp a beter team nothwithstanding the home field advantage! Galway with some shocking wides!

Dinny Breen

25 point win :o

Some week for Tipp..
#newbridgeornowhere

ross4life

That's some final win/beating still can't understand why this was played in Thurles not that it matters now
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

gallsman

Quote from: ross4life on September 11, 2010, 08:24:38 PM
That's some final win/beating still can't understand why this was played in Thurles not that it matters now

What's difficult to understand about it? The GAA made its reasons very clear.

Moot point considering the gulf in class between the sides. Seven of the team are U21 again next year.