Under 21 Final in doubt??

Started by AZOffaly, September 07, 2010, 02:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cicfada

It hammers home the point, that it was completely unfair on Galway to play against a better ( accepted by most people) team  at their home ground! It was not Tipp's fault but that utter **** Cooney and Duffy. I tell you this much, I have never heard  of a GAA president being so unpopular  as this one. The amount of people down here in Cork that have no time for him is huge!  You would have to feel sorry for the GAA folk in Limeridck who I am sure would have thought that this match would have been there. Now there's a county that needs all the GAA exposure it can get!

cicfada

Quote from: gallsman on September 11, 2010, 08:33:14 PM
Quote from: ross4life on September 11, 2010, 08:24:38 PM
That's some final win/beating still can't understand why this was played in Thurles not that it matters now

What's difficult to understand about it? The GAA made its reasons very clear.

Moot point considering the gulf in class between the sides. Seven of the team are U21 again next year.

Of course there was a  gulf in class as there would have been anywhere!! Don't you see. The gaa never explained properly why the game was played in Thurles. The CCC were instructed not to change the venue and please don't give me this money spent on stadium bullshit either. What about the money spent on Gaelic grounds??

gallsman

I'm just pointing out that the GAA pointed out that the decision was taken months ago to hold the final in Thurles for the next three years. I didn't say I agreed with it.

ha ha derry

I see the safety issue of the fans at Semple doesn,t seem to be as important as those at Corporate HQ last week  :o

Rossfan

Crowd given as 21,000 on TG4. They were said to be expecting 30,000.
The Galway boycott was  the reason it didnt happen.
Now if the game had been i bPáirc na nGael tomorrow at 3 or 3.30 there would have been at least 30,000 if not 35,000 at it.
So well done GAA officialdom on losing €150-180 k due to ye're dirty little arrangement with Thurles.
Surely to God the arrangement could have been Thurles for 3 years but not any year Tipp are in the final.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GroverJr

Well done to Tipp but I feel for Galway. The Gaa could easily have moved the game whatever the arrangement. They seemed to say to Galway - 'tough now beat it' which is typical of the current leadership.

johnneycool

Quote from: cicfada on September 11, 2010, 07:59:19 PM
Tipp 3-11 to 0-09 up after 10 mins of the second half! Tipp a beter team nothwithstanding the home field advantage! Galway with some shocking wides!

Indeed, those shocking wides in the first half would have kept them in the game longer if they'd been converted but the better team were by far Tipp and you could see the difference in speed their senior hurlers worked at.

All the same I was impressed by the Galway centre back (Burke??) who battled away gamely trying to turn a tide as well as the No8 and the sub 22 who is a very direct runner when he's on the ball. The Galway fullback was all at sea early on with O'Meara and should have been moved out of there, but maybe there was no one else to replace him.

Young Cooney has his Da's duck arse. If he's his hurling as well he'll be some spud.

Asal Mor

A bit too much whinging from Galway about this one. As Bottle Thrower said, if Kilkenny were in the same situation you wouldn't hear them complaining, at least not as much and as publicly. It sounded to me last week like we were getting our excuses in before the game even started. Everyone knew it was an unfair choice of venue but it would have been better to get on with it. Complain by all means, but don't go crying in the media. Tipp are exceptional and their future is far too bright for my liking. Imagine having to listen to them if they embarked on a period of Kilkenny - like dominance. Too much for me to stomach.

lilpaulie85

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 14, 2010, 06:10:30 AM
Imagine having to listen to them if they embarked on a period of Kilkenny - like dominance. Too much for me to stomach.

+1
Chase the dream not the competition.

Hardy

Quote from: lilpaulie85 on September 14, 2010, 10:59:55 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on September 14, 2010, 06:10:30 AM
Imagine having to listen to them if they embarked on a period of Kilkenny - like dominance. Too much for me to stomach.

+1

Oi! Tipp! No!

seafoid

Tipp won't embark on a period of dominance anyway. They aren't that far ahead of Kilkenny and Galway. Even with a good u-21 team there is no guarantee that you get many senior hurlers out of it. There is also drink and women to consider. 
I would be surprised if Tipp put 2 titles back to back. 

imtommygunn

I honestly believe KK will do them next year.(5-10 points)

Tipp had a perfect day all ireland final day. KK had as bad a day as they could have.

Tipp will be as good as them in a few years I believe but I don't think they are there yet.

C'ship is all about on the day. I believe 9 out of 10 times KK would have beaten them. Kk were still with them after 60 odd minutes having played as poor as they could play really.

AZOffaly

I know what you're saying Tommy, but we can't cast aside the AIF last year. If Eoin Kelly had scored one of his chances then, it's very likely the 5 in row bid would have been a 2 in  arow for Tipp.

Tipp are not a machine like KK, but their mentality refuses to countenance fear of Kilkenny. I think when Tipp have anywhere near the team of Kilkenny, they have a great record against them, and I expect that to continue over the next couple of years.

I'm not sure about the hunger of this team though, that'll have to be proven.  I think if Tipp get through to an All Ireland against Kilkenny, they'll be confident and ready. They may get caught out along the way by Galway or someone like that.

50% of this game is 90% mental :D

imtommygunn

Well Tipp are not a crowd who strike me as ever having fear of anyone.

Talk of them dominating the game is , I think though, a litle premature.

I think we're in for a hell of a game between them and KK next year and over the next few years. You learn more in defeat than victory and all that.

I can see what you say about them being complacent though. I thought they looked a good bit better than Galway for quite a few periods of their game yet they drifted in and out of it. Maybe they could be caught on the hop.

I just can't see Noel Hickey, Eddie Brennan, Tommy Walsh etc being so quiet ever again over 70 minutes. (Or whoever their replacements are...)

I would also say Tipp would have some unfinished business with Cork. They took a hell of a beating this year and too much of a rivalry for that to be forgot about.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: cicfada on September 11, 2010, 08:33:53 PM
I tell you this much, I have never heard  of a GAA president being so unpopular  as this one.

Sean Kelly