Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 17, 2023, 07:35:58 AM
No it is not. Turning so that your side takes the impact is completely natural.

I thought you couldn't break a tackle with both feet of the air, you can't in hurling anyway. Very cynical challenge and could have hurt the lad.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

imtommygunn

Ai when you're picking the ball up - he wasn't picking the ball up...

yellowcard

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 17, 2023, 09:13:09 AM

I thought you couldn't break a tackle with both feet of the air, you can't in hurling anyway. Very cynical challenge and could have hurt the lad.

It was one of the more dangerous challenges of the entire match. He eyed up McGuigan beforehand and made sure he left something on him. When you consider some of the innocuous decisions that pass as fouls or even yellow cards in the modern game, the punishment (none) did not fit the crime. Would it have taken a concussion or a head injury for some people to claim that it was an actual foul, the player was not protected by the referee in that instance.   

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 17, 2023, 09:13:49 AM
Ai when you're picking the ball up - he wasn't picking the ball up...

I'll need to see it again, my hazy recollection was he was over the ball and in an attempt to lift it and was 'touched' in the back and ref blew for push in back, thought it was soft at the time and that the player bought it, can't remember him diving.

I've waved such things on at times when I feel the player goes to ground first before playing the ball but if a player is attempting the lift the ball or over the ball and there is contact in the back, its a free
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: yellowcard on July 17, 2023, 09:20:17 AM

It was one of the more dangerous challenges of the entire match. He eyed up McGuigan beforehand and made sure he left something on him. When you consider some of the innocuous decisions that pass as fouls or even yellow cards in the modern game, the punishment (none) did not fit the crime. Would it have taken a concussion or a head injury for some people to claim that it was an actual foul, the player was not protected by the referee in that instance.   

I actually watched this one and it could have been a free when I watched it multiple times, watching it live I didn't give it a second thought.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Derryman forever

Regardless of the debate whether Ryans challenge was a foul, in the interest of protecting the player, was mc Quillan  obligated to stop play for a potential head injury?

balladmaker

Derry gave their best performance of the year yesterday, they were superb for most of the game ... until they got mugged on the home straight.  As a neutral, I feel that the ref. unduly swayed the game in Kerry's favour ... some very soft frees one direction, yet blatant transgression by the Kerry goalkeeper went unnoticed ... McQuillan might as well have stuck the ball over the bar himself during that play.

Kerry are Kerry, unreal athletes and play the game in a way that is great to watch.  Clifford once again off the scale.

Back to the ref, time keeping needs to be really looked at .... too many examples of referees making up time for 'one last play' in an effort to bring a team back into it, maybe in an effort to make up for incorrect decisions earlier in the game ... it shouldn't be in the refs remit to decide the time, let's follow the ladies and take it out of the refs. hands.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2023, 09:25:38 AM

I actually watched this one and it could have been a free when I watched it multiple times, watching it live I didn't give it a second thought.

I was watching live and couldn't believe how it wasn't a free and yellow at least. It sets a president that it's ok to ride the tackle off the ground.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/dublin-ireland-16-july-2023-kerry-goalkeeper-shane-ryan-news-photo/1535749975
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Wildweasel74

Again, I go bck and ask what the difference there was to Mohan catch and free out, and what the Kerry Keeper did?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 17, 2023, 09:38:16 AM
Regardless of the debate whether Ryans challenge was a foul, in the interest of protecting the player, was mc Quillan  obligated to stop play for a potential head injury?

That is a very valid point.

clarshack

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 17, 2023, 09:40:39 AM

I was watching live and couldn't believe how it wasn't a free and yellow at least. It sets a president that it's ok to ride the tackle off the ground.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/dublin-ireland-16-july-2023-kerry-goalkeeper-shane-ryan-news-photo/1535749975

I think the keeper should have got red for that challenge. If that was the other way around and Derry keeper did that on Clifford what do yous think would have happened?

balladmaker

Quote from: clarshack on July 17, 2023, 09:53:25 AM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 17, 2023, 09:40:39 AM

I think the keeper should have got red for that challenge. If that was the other way around and Derry keeper did that on Clifford what do yous think would have happened?

Are you suggesting an anti-northern bias in Joe McQuillan's refereeing of games?  :)

Wildweasel74

Lad not called Dublin Joe for nothing, might need renamed Kerry Joe. If he gets the final he not know what to do.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 17, 2023, 08:55:27 AM
Quote from: lenny on July 17, 2023, 08:44:36 AM
Hopefully after yesterday Derry will now get more credit and respect for their brilliantly creative attacking play. We created at least 5 or 6 goal opportunities in that game although the majority were half chances. I'd have to give credit to Kerry for some tremendous last gasp and brave defending. It's so heartbreaking to lose especially when we were the better team for over 60 minutes. All credit to Kerry though for hanging in there and taking advantage of their spell of dominance.
Meenagh was very impressive. His planning was meticulous.

Something I do wonder.... would they have played like that under Gallagher?

I think Meenagh deserves huge credit for how they did yesterday and should get the job full time now.

Orior

Quote from: redzone on July 16, 2023, 11:09:11 PM
Rodgers was brilliant, love watching him play. Glass was poor I thought and when Kerry pushed up on the kickouts in the last 10 they won them. Derry had chances but couldn't take them and just are not good enough to win Sam

I wish Rodgers played for Armagh.

Was one of the Kerry panel giving Shane McGuigan grief after the final whistle?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians