Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on July 17, 2023, 07:35:58 AM
No it is not. Turning so that your side takes the impact is completely natural.

It's probably a red in rugby. One free that really annoyed me was McEvoy dispossessing Geaney on the 14 out under Hogan then Geaney seemed to go down very easy to buy a free.

Dublin will win the final by 4-5 points comfortably.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 17, 2023, 06:36:32 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 16, 2023, 05:50:27 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 16, 2023, 05:48:37 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 16, 2023, 05:30:31 PM
Joe has been given his orders.

Mc quillan is the  most infuriating referee  I've ever seen .  I'm all for having respect for official s , but by Christ  he makes it so hard  for people to do that.  Those two very soft frees  effectively won Kerry the game . I ain't from Derry but I am absolutely raging . I dunno how Derry folk are feeling

Is a soft free a free or not?

That appears to depend , on which team benefits, or which end of the ground its at, or the run of play.
So often what is a free in one instance is not a free in a exactly similar instance a few seconds later, and that is by the same referee, in the same game.
Do you want to talk about comparing different refs and games?
GAA refereeing is dreadful, because there are no definitive rules, and as far as i can see no formal, universal training and coaching.  Its long past time that the GAA set up a coaching academy for referees and started to reward them properly for their contribution and talent.

The losing team or supporters generally complain about the ref and it's no different here it seems.

Tell me what you know actually goes into the set up of inter county referees.

The rules are the same for both teams, the ref has absolutely no skin in the game, so I'm struggling to work out why he'd be more generous to one over another.

It's lazy to blame the ref rather than look at individual or collective performances of your team.

The foul where the Kerry player was on the sideline, over the ball, and pushed in the back was a foul, soft but a lazy foul, he was going nowhere and surrounded by two Derry players, a clever player buys that free, the Derry player was sucked in.

I'm not here to defend the referee, when they make a mistake I'll call it too, in the Down game I wasn't overly impressed with his performance, not down to missing frees just poor flow to the game.

Not sure Clifford's was a yellow, McKaigues was for persistent fouling not just tugging a jersey, the desperate attempts by Kerry at the end resulted in the correct calls, and he added on plenty of time to reflect Kerry's attempts to slow down the game, but not a mention of that.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Derryman forever

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2023, 07:46:14 AM

Mc quillan is the  most infuriating referee  I've ever seen .  I'm all for having respect for official s , but by Christ  he makes it so hard  for people to do that.  Those two very soft frees  effectively won Kerry the game . I ain't from Derry but I am absolutely raging . I dunno how Derry folk are feeling

That appears to depend , on which team benefits, or which end of the ground its at, or the run of play.
So often what is a free in one instance is not a free in a exactly similar instance a few seconds later, and that is by the same referee, in the same game.
GAA refereeing is dreadful, because there are no definitive rules, and as far as i can see no formal, universal training and coaching.  Its long past time that the GAA set up a coaching academy for referees and started to reward them properly for their contribution and talent.

The losing team or supporters generally complain about the ref and it's no different here it seems.

The rules are the same for both teams, the ref has absolutely no skin in the game, so I'm struggling to work out why he'd be more generous to one over another.

It's lazy to blame the ref rather than look at individual or collective performances of your team.

The foul where the Kerry player was on the sideline, over the ball, and pushed in the back was a foul, soft but a lazy foul, he was going nowhere and surrounded by two Derry players, a clever player buys that free, the Derry player was sucked in.

I'm not here to defend the referee, when they make a mistake I'll call it too, in the Down game I wasn't overly impressed with his performance, not down to missing frees just poor flow to the game.

Not sure Clifford's was a yellow, McKaigues was for persistent fouling not just tugging a jersey, the desperate attempts by Kerry at the end resulted in the correct calls, and he added on plenty of time to reflect Kerry's attempts to slow down the game, but not a mention of that.

I didn't blame the referee.
And you didn't make any attempt to address the points I made

imtommygunn

Even Tomas o'se said it Mr. The O'Brien free was critical in that game and it wasn't a free.

clarshack

Kerry scored a point when it should have been a free out for the Ryan challenge on McGuigan and if McQuillan doesn't give a free for the phantom foul on O'Brien then it's a drawn game.
Derry can feel rightly aggrieved.

naka

Mill town Geaney dived for the free it wasn't a free

Although what ultimately lost the game was the poor wides Derry kicked in the second half especially the two mid way through the half hogan side which were at a critical time in the match

Derryman forever

Quote from: clarshack on July 17, 2023, 08:28:46 AM
Kerry scored a point when it should have been a free out for the Ryan challenge on McGuigan and if McQuillan doesn't give a free for the phantom foul on O'Brien then it's a drawn game.

Had that free been given against Ryan it would actually have been a free in.

Hound

Quote from: clarshack on July 17, 2023, 08:28:46 AM
There are soft frees for both sides throughout the game.

Yes, the free given to O'Brien came at a crucial time. There was contact, so I can understand the decision, however, for me the contact was not sufficient to warrant a free.

But the key is that Derry were still 1 point up after that. But, after playing brilliantly for most of the game, Derry were nothing short of poor for the remainder. Kerry were there for the taking, but they didn't quite manage it. Decision making inside the opposition 45 was probably the difference between the teams. Though hats off to both teams for some of the score taking during the game.

lenny

Hopefully after yesterday Derry will now get more credit and respect for their brilliantly creative attacking play. We created at least 5 or 6 goal opportunities in that game although the majority were half chances. I'd have to give credit to Kerry for some tremendous last gasp and brave defending. It's so heartbreaking to lose especially when we were the better team for over 60 minutes. All credit to Kerry though for hanging in there and taking advantage of their spell of dominance.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Derryman forever on July 17, 2023, 07:56:35 AM

I didn't blame the referee.
And you didn't make any attempt to address the points I made

You didn't answer mine! Was it a free or not?

In all sports referees view things differently, there are plenty of discussions on multiple threads about different sports that they are discussing what was a foul and what wasn't, these other sports are professional sports so even in that area of officiating people will always question it.

The rules are the same for both teams, saying GAA referees are dreadful is just lazy and saying that the rules aren't definitive, you'd need to explain that a bit more to for me to address it

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 17, 2023, 08:02:30 AM
Even Tomas o'se said it Mr. The O'Brien free was critical in that game and it wasn't a free.

I basically said he bought the free, its the easiest free to give and the daftest one to give away, just cause O'se said it means nothing, he wasn't refereeing it and a lot of the ex players on multiple occasions don't even know the rules ffs!

imtommygunn

Quote from: lenny on July 17, 2023, 08:44:36 AM
Hopefully after yesterday Derry will now get more credit and respect for their brilliantly creative attacking play. We created at least 5 or 6 goal opportunities in that game although the majority were half chances. I'd have to give credit to Kerry for some tremendous last gasp and brave defending. It's so heartbreaking to lose especially when we were the better team for over 60 minutes. All credit to Kerry though for hanging in there and taking advantage of their spell of dominance.

Something I do wonder.... would they have played like that under Gallagher?

I think Meenagh deserves huge credit for how they did yesterday and should get the job full time now.

InnocentByStander

As a neutral, the standard of the referee in the two semi finals was day and night. Hurson top class, Mcquillan on the other hand not so much

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2023, 08:54:41 AM

I basically said he bought the free, its the easiest free to give and the daftest one to give away, just cause O'se said it means nothing, he wasn't refereeing it and a lot of the ex players on multiple occasions don't even know the rules ffs!

It kind of does mean something. If even a Kerry man is saying that then it's not just sour grapes from a losing team. Did Deegan , who would know the rules, not say it wasn't a free too?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 17, 2023, 09:02:59 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 17, 2023, 08:54:41 AM

It kind of does mean something. If even a Kerry man is saying that then it's not just sour grapes from a losing team. Did Deegan , who would know the rules, not say it wasn't a free too?

What were you told as a kid playing, get over the ball and dip it, you'll win your free, if I didn't give them in a game I'd be hounded out the gate.

Someone will throw it up and let me have another look at it, remember I said I only seen it half jar'd after being at a friends for barbeque  ;D