Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2023, 08:56:05 AM
For Derry what counts is the narrative. They need to do better than the Galway match last year. They won't be able to run the paranoid defence for 75 minutes. They need a plan B. They need to be accurate.They do not want to get hammered again. That would make the drive back to Derry very difficult.

Hopefully Kerry won't be as ultra defensive as galway were last year. I have a feeling Kerry will be very well set up though because of paddy tally. That is what I'd worry most about this game, that the creativity and flair of the Derry attack will be blunted by the Kerry set up.

Wildweasel74

Galway won well in the end last year due to 2 bad errors for goals. Derry should been 1.05 to no score up, not 3 pts. Galway didn't score for 25mins. Glass point not counted, Derry need 2 new forwards that common knowledge, it's the reason we can't actually expand more. Next year I expect Murray, McWillians and Downey to regularly start and they have more a cutting edge. Lad's are always injured alot though compared to the other players. Am just looking at not losing a game as bad as Mayo/ Tyrone, what's the point of it been a great game for the viewers if u beat out of the field.

lenny

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 12, 2023, 10:25:53 AM
Galway won well in the end last year due to 2 bad errors for goals. Derry should been 1.05 to no score up, not 3 pts. Galway didn't score for 25mins. Glass point not counted, Derry need 2 new forwards that common knowledge, it's the reason we can't actually expand more. Next year I expect Murray, McWillians and Downey to regularly start and they have more a cutting edge. Lad's are always injured alot though compared to the other players. Am just looking at not losing a game as bad as Mayo/ Tyrone, what's the point of it been a great game for the viewers if u beat out of the field.

Derry don't have the best forwards individually but as a collective Derry create and take some brilliant scores. That is down to fantastic team play and great movement. Galway nullified that with a number of sweepers last year and Tally will probably do something similar with the Kerry defence.

Derryman forever

Quote from: lenny on July 12, 2023, 11:01:43 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 12, 2023, 10:25:53 AM

Derry don't have the best forwards individually but as a collective Derry create and take some brilliant scores. That is down to fantastic team play and great movement. Galway nullified that with a number of sweepers last year and Tally will probably do something similar with the Kerry defence.

I think Derry are better this year than last, but then Kerry are an even greater hurdle than Galway.
It would have taken very little last year for it to be a much closer result and i do think we can certainly hope for more this year.
Without question Derry have been only cruising since they lost Gallagher. I think they were certainly suffering from disorientation in the Ulster final. But their big players carried them through. They had another poor game against Monaghan but still stood up when it mattered.  Is  that a lasting effect or have the management and team been focusing more on the latter stages of the competition in these last games. Certainly against Donegal Clare and Cork it looked like they only switched it on when needed.  I am hoping Derry turn up fully motivated and prepared .

seafoid

Derry need to vary their play and use the counterattack.  If they stick to plan A they will be hammered.  It would also mean that they learnt nothing from last year.  That would be suboptimal.

restorepride

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2023, 09:22:40 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/07/12/darragh-o-se-anything-can-happen-in-an-all-ireland-semi-final-but-i-dont-see-derry-or-monaghan-winning/
Kerry will just want to stick with their kicking game, same as they did against Tyrone. They will get chances, through David Clifford and Seánie O'Shea obviously, but they also got some good return from the bench the last day as well, through the likes of Tony Brosnan and Stephen O'Brien.

Do Derry have a kicking game?
Yes - Odhrán Lynch always kicks the ball out - never fails.

restorepride

Quote from: lenny on July 12, 2023, 09:24:24 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2023, 08:56:05 AM
For Derry what counts is the narrative. They need to do better than the Galway match last year. They won't be able to run the paranoid defence for 75 minutes. They need a plan B. They need to be accurate.They do not want to get hammered again. That would make the drive back to Derry very difficult.

Hopefully Kerry won't be as ultra defensive as galway were last year. I have a feeling Kerry will be very well set up though because of paddy tally. That is what I'd worry most about this game, that the creativity and flair of the Derry attack will be blunted by the Kerry set up.
Fair point.

statto

Quote from: restorepride on July 12, 2023, 12:46:32 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/07/12/darragh-o-se-anything-can-happen-in-an-all-ireland-semi-final-but-i-dont-see-derry-or-monaghan-winning/
Kerry will just want to stick with their kicking game, same as they did against Tyrone. They will get chances, through David Clifford and Seánie O'Shea obviously, but they also got some good return from the bench the last day as well, through the likes of Tony Brosnan and Stephen O'Brien.

This could be a game where Lynch is exposed think hes a poor keeper, his contribution out the field has improved but think Derry to win AI with him in goals.  Is there any potential competition coming forward for Derry seem be badly short in this area. 

Mario

Quote from: statto on July 12, 2023, 01:07:06 PM

This could be a game where Lynch is exposed think hes a poor keeper, his contribution out the field has improved but think Derry to win AI with him in goals.  Is there any potential competition coming forward for Derry seem be badly short in this area.
What do you think he is bad at? He's been one of Derry's best players this year

seafoid

Gallivanting is not recommended against Kerry

restorepride

A strong whiff of 'saved too many penalties' in that post.  Lynch has been superb this year, especially in the Ulster Final victory.

An Watcher

Could chrissy mckaigue be targeted?  Don't know as haven't seen alot of derry but he's getting on

statto

Quote from: restorepride on July 12, 2023, 01:28:32 PM

A strong whiff of 'saved too many penalties' in that post.  Lynch has been superb this year, especially in the Ulster Final victory.
There is mistakes in him for sure and if Kerry go after him can be got on at the kickouts.  My opinion on him is nothing to do with Derry beating Armagh on penalties.  Penalties are a lottery and while he did well to save a few this on its own doesn't elevate him to a top class keeper. 

Clare game last year turns his back on first goal, 2nd goal goes walkabout really poor keeping his attempt to narrow the angle was woeful.  Galway game beat at near post first goal and walkabout for the second.  In big games in croker to date hasn't covered himself in glory. 

I wish Derry all the success for Sunday and will be hoping they get over the line. 

shawshank

Quote from: statto on July 12, 2023, 02:11:23 PM
Quote from: restorepride on July 12, 2023, 01:28:32 PM

There is mistakes in him for sure and if Kerry go after him can be got on at the kickouts.  My opinion on him is nothing to do with Derry beating Armagh on penalties.  Penalties are a lottery and while he did well to save a few this on its own doesn't elevate him to a top class keeper. 

Clare game last year turns his back on first goal, 2nd goal goes walkabout really poor keeping his attempt to narrow the angle was woeful.  Galway game beat at near post first goal and walkabout for the second.  In big games in croker to date hasn't covered himself in glory. 

I wish Derry all the success for Sunday and will be hoping they get over the line.

on the nail there

Wildweasel74

Good job u didn't see the Clare goal in Longford, then u be really giving out, it was brutal.