Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derryman forever

Quote from: NotedObserver on July 11, 2023, 03:00:27 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on July 11, 2023, 02:09:09 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 11, 2023, 01:02:25 PM
Good lord, Eamonn Sweeney is a randomer from Sligo who moved to West Cork a few years ago so gets a few yarns off a few fellas down there he regurgitates occasionally. He hasn't a bulls notion about Gaelic football, so not worth the energy dissecting what he said lads.

But on a point of order, no every other team does not routinely run back inside the 45 with 15 men. Dublin did it in the league a bit but changed tack and the high press of Mayo worked very well for them. Every team will get a lot of bodies behind the ball when needed of course so anyone from any county bemoaning this needn't look far but the Derry template (and Louth's is worse actually - don't even contest most kickouts) isn't good for the viewer you must admit. Derry don't care of course, they are merely trying to win and I don't blame them. They also attack in numbers, with great pace and in most games have a good range of scorers.

I think looking back at it Derry should possibly have scored 2-16 or so against Cork, who themselves were terrible in front of goal, so it could easily have been 2-16 to 1-13 and there would have been far less furore. If Derry sharpen up which I would expect then this game is potentially very close Sunday.

"Cork's opening salvo when they held the ball for three minutes, passed it 58 times and kicked it wide. "

Against Tyrone kerry passed the ball 40 times for almost 3 minutes before scoring the opening point.

And the conceded the Tyrone's kick outs almost in their entirety.
They flooded the defence and broke quickly.
Tyrone's inability to hold possession played right into their hands.
Any kick out of Kerry's own was followed by a multitude of passes also.
But nobody feels it necessary to comment on that.

Exactly. Tyrone just don't have the line breakers anymore. Michael mckernan is their best and did break a line in first half and kicked a score. Tyrone were v wasteful with posesion and played into Kerry hands as took the short kick out which made it impossible to get quick ball to mccurry canavans. Derry are much better at playing against a full blanket defence as the way they place forces this type of game. I expect a tight game for a while and will be interesting to see what way it goes after that

Quite honestly, Tyrone played like a team that had bought into the hype, that regardless of the fact they had two horrific years, they were still the best team in Ulster.
At the 45 minute Kerry had turned tyrone over 15 times.
Once every 3 minutes and if possession was 50 50 , which it wasn't that is some inability to keep ball.

restorepride

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 11, 2023, 02:58:05 PM
Good lord, Eamonn Sweeney is a randomer from Sligo who moved to West Cork a few years ago so gets a few yarns off a few fellas down there he regurgitates occasionally. He hasn't a bulls notion about Gaelic football, so not worth the energy dissecting what he said lads.

But on a point of order, no every other team does not routinely run back inside the 45 with 15 men. Dublin did it in the league a bit but changed tack and the high press of Mayo worked very well for them. Every team will get a lot of bodies behind the ball when needed of course so anyone from any county bemoaning this needn't look far but the Derry template (and Louth's is worse actually - don't even contest most kickouts) isn't good for the viewer you must admit. Derry don't care of course, they are merely trying to win and I don't blame them. They also attack in numbers, with great pace and in most games have a good range of scorers.

I think looking back at it Derry should possibly have scored 2-16 or so against Cork, who themselves were terrible in front of goal, so it could easily have been 2-16 to 1-13 and there would have been far less furore. If Derry sharpen up which I would expect then this game is potentially very close Sunday.

"Cork's opening salvo when they held the ball for three minutes, passed it 58 times and kicked it wide. "

Against Tyrone kerry passed the ball 40 times for almost 3 minutes before scoring the opening point.

None of which refutes anything I said.

I said Derry pull 15 men inside the defensive 45 more than any of the teams in the quarter finals. THIS is the main cause of teams passing the ball laterally for prolonged periods, surely you realise this? Teams haven't decided to hold the ball for no reason when behind or early in a game.
Do you think Doire should set up more like the 2017 Minor Final?!!  :D 
Seriously though, do you think Doire's set-up has served us well since we were in Division 4?  Now in Division 1; 2 Ulsters back to back, first this century.  Second All-Ireland semi-final in a row.  Cad é do thuairim?!

Wildweasel74

I comment on this after the game. Don't put much hope on us looking at the Cork game. Maybe Kerry have a off day and we come out all guns blazing.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: restorepride on July 11, 2023, 07:26:07 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 11, 2023, 02:58:05 PM

None of which refutes anything I said.

I said Derry pull 15 men inside the defensive 45 more than any of the teams in the quarter finals. THIS is the main cause of teams passing the ball laterally for prolonged periods, surely you realise this? Teams haven't decided to hold the ball for no reason when behind or early in a game.
Do you think Doire should set up more like the 2017 Minor Final?!!  :D 
Seriously though, do you think Doire's set-up has served us well since we were in Division 4?  Now in Division 1; 2 Ulsters back to back, first this century.  Second All-Ireland semi-final in a row.  Cad é do thuairim?!

Ah no of course not. Read my first post quoted above - Derry are doing what suits them and it is has yielded a good dividend for them.

I don't think it wins you an All Ireland the system/tactical approach, unless you get really lucky. I could be wrong of course and eating my words before long but don't think so. This is year 3/4 now for this Derry group and I thought they would have evolved a bit more. Maybe Sunday is going to be the moment they take things a step further. We'll see.

By the way, the mid term future for Derry football looks better than almost every other county, which is clearly an indicator of massive work being done on the ground up there. So I fully expect Derry to be at the top table and winning an All Ireland in the very near future.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Wildweasel74

Where did they start off. Past 3/4 yrs to evolve, Division 4.

BuzzCagney

Derry will struggle against the Kerry blanket defence.

onefineday

Quote from: shark on July 11, 2023, 01:16:21 PM

Exactly. Should be ignored. He's a talented writer but hasn't a clue what he's looking at. All these publications are interested in now is clicks for ad money. He serves that purpose.
It's hardly a ringing endorsement of a sport that it's only entertaining to those with a good knowledge of the tactical battle they're watching.
Roscommon were lambasted for the game v Dublin earlier this year, so it's not just anti-ulster. That said there wasn't much commentary on Galway who are very similar and there's little mention that everyone does it to an extent nowadays when it suits their needs.
While we're understandably blinded by Derry's recent success and probably make an argument that we're not the worst, that our attacking play can be inventive, dynamic and exciting, the game has to change or its long time appeal to players and spectators might we'll be in doubt.
We're now well advanced into the stage where every half ambitious club team is playing 15 back and long periods of keep ball break out at every level from junior football upwards. Change is needed, but we'll take two more games all the same.
As the prayer goes, make me pure, but not just ;) yet

Captain Obvious

Dublin and Kerry love it when teams come out all guns blazing and blow themselves out after 40 or 45 minutes or ones that are poorly organised and go home well beat with a patronizing pat on the head for 'playing the game the right way.

The Quarter finals Mayo and Tyrone showed what not to do and Monaghan and Derry should know with the correct strategy in place that gets the best out of their teams that can cause plenty of headaches for Kerry and Dublin at both ends of field could well mean two competitive semi finals this weekend.

seafoid

WT4E

A strong Tyrone/Galbally running through that Kerry team with Paddy Tally turning them into winners with a defensive set up.

Only fair we link this instead of yours Seafoid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgmeS-HcHB8

seafoid

seafoid

Quote from: WT4E on July 12, 2023, 07:22:29 AM
A strong Tyrone/Galbally running through that Kerry team with Paddy Tally turning them into winners with a defensive set up.

Only fair we link this instead of yours Seafoid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgmeS-HcHB8
Good call.
The 2 women were friends. What a better.

Derryman forever

Anything can happen on the day.
I really don't know if  Derry will win, but i hope. This idea that Derry can't play creative football is a fallacy.
They play to their strength and the system but every time in the last two years, bar two, when they went behind they expanded their game, and regained the lead, or leveled the score.
I really do hope that Jack o Connor and the Kerry players have the same derisory opinion of Derry that is prevalent on this thread and the Media in general.

seafoid

For Derry what counts is the narrative. They need to do better than the Galway match last year. They won't be able to run the paranoid defence for 75 minutes. They need a plan B. They need to be accurate.They do not want to get hammered again. That would make the drive back to Derry very difficult.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/07/12/darragh-o-se-anything-can-happen-in-an-all-ireland-semi-final-but-i-dont-see-derry-or-monaghan-winning/
Kerry will just want to stick with their kicking game, same as they did against Tyrone. They will get chances, through David Clifford and Seánie O'Shea obviously, but they also got some good return from the bench the last day as well, through the likes of Tony Brosnan and Stephen O'Brien.

Do Derry have a kicking game?