Thomas Walsh to return to Carlow??

Started by Donnellys Hollow, August 13, 2009, 03:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Walsh to transfer back to Carlow
THOMAS Walsh should be available for Fenagh's vital championship match against Kildavin-Clonegal on Saturday, 22 August and Carlow's league campaign next year.
On Monday morning a transfer request was handed into the Leinster Council but sources at their offices in Portlaoise were unable to confirm whether the player had actually applied for an inter-county transfer as well.

They did say the application has now been posted back to the Wicklow county board who in turn will pass it on to the club.

The player himself is out of the country and was unavailable for comment while Fenagh are remaining tight lipped.

However Wicklow GAA president Peter Keogh said he believed it was a full inter-county transfer.

"It is an inter-county transfer. That means he would not be available to play for Wicklow if he goes back to Fenagh.

"The only reason he could play for Wicklow at any time if he was living or working in Wicklow. That would be it.

"I am not aware of the transfer request yet but if he transfer s back to Fenagh he is severing his links with Wicklow."

The Wicklow club would have to have strong grounds to refuse the application but may not be in a position to do so.

Walsh lived in Greystones but played with Bray Emmets. He has been living in Fenagh for almost a year and appears to have severed his links with the Wicklow club.

Pat Burke trainer of Bray Emmets confirmed that the player did not play for the senior team in their first round championship defeat to Baltinglass over the weekend.

"We were missing four or five players. Thomas was one of them," he said but was unable to confirm what action the club would be taking in relation to the transfer application. Vice chairman, Liam MacGraynor, also declined to comment on Monday last.

Walsh has been the centre of massive media exposure since his move to Wicklow in 2007 at the start of Mick O'Dwyer's reign over the Garden County.

At the time Carlow county board put up huge resistance to the move. Last year Luke Dempsey extended the olive branch to Walsh but, despite many believing he was about to make the move, he remained in Wicklow as they enjoyed their most successful run in the qualifiers.

With two wins out of three Fenagh's next match is vital for the club and the presence of the Thomas Walsh would be a huge boost. Another win would almost guarantee them a place in the knock-out stages.

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/tabId/425/itemId/4952/Walsh-to-transfer-back-to-Carlow.aspx

Big blow for Micklow's Leinster ambitions if he goes back to the rastafarians. It's welcome news for Carlow though with Brendan Murphy signing a new contract with the Sydney Swans. Doesn't look like he'll be coming home anytime soon.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

INDIANA

Murphy has yet to play a senior game for the Swans. Next season will make or break him. I think 2/3 of the Aussie Rules lads will be home next season. Good news for Carlow though- if they could presuade the other 10 players making themselves unavailable for various reasons they could have a decent team next year.

stevecw

While some might think this is welcome news for Carlow, i am not so sure.
He has really messed us around over the past couple of years, especially Luke Dempsey earlier this year and a lot of people in Carlow don't ever want to see him wear the Carlow jersey again.

Some panel members are really upset with him and this could easily ruin the bit of an improvement we made this year. Ok we had a weak panel, but they really grouped together and gave it everything. A lot of them will not play with him i reckon.

And if things are not going his way, will he just walk away again?
He can't be trusted. Just before he moved to Wicklow he was saying that he was totally committed to Carlow, and would never play with anyone else... etc and day or 2 later he was gone to them!  ::)

Good player, easily the best midfielder in Carlow, but him coming back now would cause big problems and would divide the county even more. He is not worth all that.
Let him play with Fenagh if he wants, even that is a brave enough thing to do as some opponents might want a go at him. Hopefully not, but could easily happen.

As for the Co team, just stay away Thomas you have messed us over once too often.

INDIANA

Talent isn't democratic mate. I've never heard any issues from Wicklow lads in relation to him being a bad trainer, or acting the maggot coming up to games. If his only fault was to transfer to Wicklow then Carlow should take him back gladly. The setup was a shambles before he left, the best players won't commit themselves , poor management etc etc.

lynchbhoy

its a hell of a story

I wonder though is he looking to simply transfer back to the county or is it just club.

I wouldnt take the comments from the wicklow president as gospel as it smacks a bit of dislike/annoyance.

Time will tell if Walsh goes the whole hog, I am sure micko if he stays on will smooth things over for walsh in wicklow to remain playing for ther adopted county.

Otherwise there could be a big divide in Carlow if Walsh transfers and is asked to rejoin the county setup.
Still , he could play and not get on with some panel members, thats not a first in sport - esp Gaelic games !

orangeman

SLIGONIAN

Messed up situation, can understand Carlow peoples concerns, in my opinion no matter how bad a set up is where your from is where your from and you have to stay loyal and unless your county wont pick and you live elsewhere could i understand it. Similiar shit in Sligo going on and its not good but I would take him back, you have to think of on the field would he enhance things answer yes so feck it let him payback to everyone and make up for the hurt he caused.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Gold

Walsh has never once impressed me--ive kept an eye out for him since his transfer and been to watch Wicklow plenty of times including in the league and v Kildare in Laois a few weeks back--

Would he really add tht much to carlow? They'd be better getting Micko in
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Gold on August 13, 2009, 05:57:20 PM
Walsh has never once impressed me--ive kept an eye out for him since his transfer and been to watch Wicklow plenty of times including in the league and v Kildare in Laois a few weeks back--

He's a very good all round midfielder. He wouldn't stand out in the top teams but for a team like Carlow he'd be a big leader in the middle of the field.

He was outplayed by Dermot Earley in Portlaoise but there's no shame in that. Dermot has been outstanding all year and won't be far off an All-Star. Fatigue was probably a factor in Walsh being below par that day as well - 4 games in as many weeks is tough especially with the intensity of the midfield battle these days.

INDIANA

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 13, 2009, 06:15:18 PM
Quote from: Gold on August 13, 2009, 05:57:20 PM

He's a very good all round midfielder. He wouldn't stand out in the top teams but for a team like Carlow he'd be a big leader in the middle of the field.

He was outplayed by Dermot Earley in Portlaoise but there's no shame in that. Dermot has been outstanding all year and won't be far off an All-Star. Fatigue was probably a factor in Walsh being below par that day as well - 4 games in as many weeks is tough especially with the intensity of the midfield battle these days.

not far off on an allstar? If he doesn't get one they can pack the scheme up.

Donnellys Hollow

You know how these things work. The All-Star team is always heavily weighted towards the finalists.

He'd be the first name on my team but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he was overlooked. There are only room for two midfielders and unlike the backs and the forwards, they'll very rarely be accomodated elsewhere in the selection outside their natural position.

magpie seanie

Walsh should never have been allowed to leave in the first place so his return is wlecome. If he wants to achieve anythnig with Carlow he should stand up at the first meeting/training and make a humble apology and statement of his intent/committment to Carlow. From experience, if he backs it up and does his stuff, forgiveness will be forthcoming. I fully understand the views articulated by Stevecw though.

On Earley - first name on the teamsheet for midfield this season.

stevecw

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 13, 2009, 09:45:47 PM
Walsh should never have been allowed to leave in the first place so his return is wlecome. If he wants to achieve anythnig with Carlow he should stand up at the first meeting/training and make a humble apology and statement of his intent/committment to Carlow. From experience, if he backs it up and does his stuff, forgiveness will be forthcoming. I fully understand the views articulated by Stevecw though.

Well i don't want to go into the reasons he was enticed to leave here. Its a well known fact around Carlow/Wicklow that it wasn't just for football reasons or whatever.
To move to Wicklow he had to prove he was living in Wicklow. The apartment that was his new "Wicklow address" supplied by Ballymore Property (Wicklow sponsors!) proved it. He even got his own apartment number wrong on his transfer form, which led to a delay in the transfer  ::)

The whole thing was very dodgy, and i could give more details but obviously can't on a forum like this.
I guess you can't blame a young guy like Walsh for going along with that

If he does come back now, he will most certainly have to apoligise to the panel mainly, but also to the supporters. He let us down badly firstly by leaving, & then compounded that by completely messing us about early this year by not saying what he was going to do.
Luke Dempsey felt he was coming back for the 3rd game of league and said so in interviews. That annoyed a couple of our ok midfielders who left the panel as Dempsey was referring to Walsh as our midfield saviour so much.

A majority of Carlow fans have turned against Walsh and it will be very hard to accept him back.
If he does return i am sure the midfielders we had this year will leave the panel.
Worst of all some of the better players who didn't play this year, but who from all accounts Dempsey is doing a good job getting them back on board for 2010 will use this as a handy excuse to not be involved. Very easy for them to say "I'd never play on same team as Tom Walsh" and yet again we are left with a lot of better players not involved.

I really think him coming back will cause way too much unrest and division in a county that has to deal with more than enough of that already with our Co football side.

BallyhaiseMan

Can see why Carlow fans and players wouldnt want him back,
Now if i know my geography,Wicklow and Carlow arent exactly a hundred miles apart,
There are plenty of cases of footballers living and working in other neighbouring counties and still playing for their native clubs/county.
Carlow should concentrate on getting the rest of their best players out and forget about a player who will no doubt cause disruptions to an already legendary temperamental group known as the Carlow Footballers  :P

lynchbhoy

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 14, 2009, 08:44:57 AM
Can see why Carlow fans and players wouldnt want him back,
Now if i know my geography,Wicklow and Carlow arent exactly a hundred miles apart,
There are plenty of cases of footballers living and working in other neighbouring counties and still playing for their native clubs/county.
Carlow should concentrate on getting the rest of their best players out and forget about a player who will no doubt cause disruptions to an already legendary temperamental group known as the Carlow Footballers  :P
while true enough BHM, the irony of that given the history of yer own lads made me smile !

Stevecw - this kind of thing  - a player who isnt liked in his own county for whatever reasons - is a common enough thing.
I know of a lot of counties that there is a 'hated' figure playing for them and they get on with it eventually but may never actually like the guy.
The problem is as you say, that walsh might upset the apple 'tart' ( (c) bertie) at the outset of the season and render it useless because of it. The work should begin immediately with challenge games and weekends away etc and walsh should be schooled in how to apologise and what to say - even if it is admitting to 'why' he left and the allegedly fiscal reasons for it if thats the case.
Sure 15 years ago the Eire og club/panelists were the cause of a bit of a rift in the county panel (reasons unknown) if I recall correctly.
so Its not the first time in Carlow either.