FAI...June 2024 Friendlies v Hungary and Portugal

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Estimator

Going back to the messages regarding the amount of Irish players in the top flight in England, there is an excellent article on BBC Sport now looking at the path to the PL. It mentions the stat that only 180 of the 1.5m playing organised youth football in England will ever play a single minute in the PL. Proves how difficult it is for any young lad to make it across the water.
Ulster League Champions 2009

tiempo

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 29, 2021, 10:19:41 PM
Quote from: tiempo on March 29, 2021, 03:19:02 PM
Genuine question, could the Dubs have got a result against Luxembourg?
Be serious.

I am being serious. The Dubs transcend Gaelic games. I think Brian Howard shits on the Luxembourgers. Think of it as 11 Kevin Morans running wild around a field. Not saying they'd beat any of the top ranked teams but they'd easily hold their own against a pub league side such as Luxembourg.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: tiempo on March 30, 2021, 12:02:48 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 29, 2021, 10:19:41 PM
Quote from: tiempo on March 29, 2021, 03:19:02 PM
Genuine question, could the Dubs have got a result against Luxembourg?
Be serious.

I am being serious. The Dubs transcend Gaelic games. I think Brian Howard shits on the Luxembourgers. Think of it as 11 Kevin Morans running wild around a field. Not saying they'd beat any of the top ranked teams but they'd easily hold their own against a pub league side such as Luxembourg.

He repeats. Be serious.

Itchy

From the Bunker

general_lee

sid waddell

Ken Early may have had a point about the Luxembourgeoisie

They may actually be a half decent side

Twice the population of Iceland, who beat England at Euro 2016 and drew with Argentina at World Cup 2018

They drew 0-0 with France in Paris not too long ago

A Dynamo Kiev striker scored the winner past a Rochdale goalkeeper the other night

Itchy

I think its been poor enough by us, unable to beat their press at the back. A lot of sloppy play too. At least we are in front I suppose.

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on March 30, 2021, 08:35:40 PM

Twice the population of Iceland, who beat England at Euro 2016 and drew with Argentina at World Cup 2018

A Dynamo Kiev striker scored the winner past a Rochdale goalkeeper the other night
He also noted that they are a settled side. It was a 50/50 game and they took their chance. It could have gone either way but we don't have a striker who can score on demand.

sid waddell

Oh dear

Qatar equalise after a minute of the second half

Lots and lots of space and a Gerson Rodrigues like finish

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on March 30, 2021, 08:43:25 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 30, 2021, 08:35:40 PM

He also noted that they are a settled side. It was a 50/50 game and they took their chance. It could have gone either way but we don't have a striker who can score on demand.
They hadn't played a competitive game on the Wednesday night which was an advantage to them

Our players' fitness looked lacking

general_lee

We are drawing with a bunch of plumbers. We haven't the players

MayoBuck

We're far more open with 3 at the back. Don't think it's the answer. James McLean doing very well on the left side, better than Stevens IMO.

sid waddell

Unbelievably open

Qatar had five or six on three there and should have made it 2-1