?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: JoG2 on November 18, 2018, 02:16:59 PM
Commiserations to The Wolfhounds last night. Serious effort and a game played at a fierce pace. We missed the 1st 10 mins as there was a huge crowd queuing for tix with only 2 windows open.
The first sending off (Richard King, fine footballer) swung the game in Red Hughes favour (Limavady were 3/4 points up at the stage and full value for it). The ref I'd say has had better half's. Let over carrying go up until the 40th minute and then decided to blow the Wolfhounds players yet let the Red Hughes man take about 12 steps for the goal (what a finish in fairness). The 2nd sending off (2 yellows for big Forrest) was more harsh imo.the only positive I could give the ref in the 2nd half was finally booking a Red Hughes player for diving. In all my years watching games I've never (and I've seen Tyrone more times than I care to remember) seen a team dive as much, it was pathetic tbh
Any road, a superb year for The Wolfhounds with 3 trophies and an Ulster final. They've a very young side and I'd say they'll do rightly in intermediate next year

The Red Hughs fella going off injured actually helped the Donegal men. His replacement scored a cracking point almost straight away and his confidence soared. Ended up with another superb point and also bagged the goal.

Forrest's 2 x yellows were both harsh. He was roughing his marker up a bit but nothing serious.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

JoG2

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 18, 2018, 07:11:28 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on November 18, 2018, 02:16:59 PM
Commiserations to The Wolfhounds last night. Serious effort and a game played at a fierce pace. We missed the 1st 10 mins as there was a huge crowd queuing for tix with only 2 windows open.
The first sending off (Richard King, fine footballer) swung the game in Red Hughes favour (Limavady were 3/4 points up at the stage and full value for it). The ref I'd say has had better half's. Let over carrying go up until the 40th minute and then decided to blow the Wolfhounds players yet let the Red Hughes man take about 12 steps for the goal (what a finish in fairness). The 2nd sending off (2 yellows for big Forrest) was more harsh imo.the only positive I could give the ref in the 2nd half was finally booking a Red Hughes player for diving. In all my years watching games I've never (and I've seen Tyrone more times than I care to remember) seen a team dive as much, it was pathetic tbh
Any road, a superb year for The Wolfhounds with 3 trophies and an Ulster final. They've a very young side and I'd say they'll do rightly in intermediate next year

The Red Hughs fella going off injured actually helped the Donegal men. His replacement scored a cracking point almost straight away and his confidence soared. Ended up with another superb point and also bagged the goal.

Forrest's 2 x yellows were both harsh. He was roughing his marker up a bit but nothing serious.

The RH defenders singled out the smaller Limavady players for abuse, the big man comes on and gives them a bit of their own medicine. And the ref being the ref sent him off.

The Red Hughes subs point was indeed immense as we're another few scores. Was a fine evening for football

doiregael93

Jude Donnelly the new glen Manager. Along with Paddy Murray of Kilcoo!

Waataboutyee

Only 1 post on here in 6 weeks. I know things are quiet but surely we can talk about something?
Any more managerial appointments?
Dungiven wanted wee Jude but he obviously saw more potential with the watties. Big season ahead for them.
Dungiven now have Michael O'Kane - will their new "Director of Football" have any say in the senior set up?
Looks like they are more interested in the hurling now, winning their 3rd U21 title in a row, as well as their 2nd Ulster minor title in a row. Makes the football challenge even tougher.
Cush staying on at Magherafelt - winning the U21s at the weekend will do him no harm - could they start to push on from this?
Ballinderry looking to appoint internally
Johnny McBride going back to Loup?
How big a loss will Callum Brown be to Limavady and Derry?

What is the latest from Owenbeg and the senior camp?

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Waataboutyee on November 28, 2018, 09:10:44 AM
Only 1 post on here in 6 weeks. I know things are quiet but surely we can talk about something?
Dungiven wanted wee Jude but he obviously saw more potential with the watties. Big season ahead for them.
Dungiven now have Michael O'Kane - will their new "Director of Football" have any say in the senior set up?
Looks like they are more interested in the hurling now, winning their 3rd U21 title in a row, as well as their 2nd Ulster minor title in a row. Makes the football challenge even tougher.
Cush staying on at Magherafelt - winning the U21s at the weekend will do him no harm - could they start to push on from this?

days you mean ?
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Waataboutyee

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 28, 2018, 09:15:08 AM
Quote from: Waataboutyee on November 28, 2018, 09:10:44 AM

days you mean ?
Yes but at least I got a reaction Hoof  :)

JoG2

There must be a group of about a dozen men now in the county with a fair list of clubs they've managed on their CV's, what percentage have delivered?? Brennan / Moran? I'd say the total figure paid out to these boys within our county (a mill give or take??) in the last 10 years or so would blow minds.

Anyone for buying next year's season ticket (€99)? I'm in 2 minds. Realistically the Antrim away game will be the only one our crew can make, Waterford and Limerick that wee bit too far with other stuff going on. so say 5 league games, maybe a league final, the AI club final and the Tyrone game totaling 8, £11.50 £12.00 / ticket

Derry Optimist

I read somewhere that last year up to a quarter of potential match day squads in counties outside Division One were not available for their Counties in either League or Championship in 2018.From what I hear that percentage will certainly be on the increase in most counties for next year.

We all know that for a variety of reasons there  will be  at least 9 - four of them definite starters in normal circumstances - not playing for Derry in 2019.

Kevin Johnston,Ruairi Mooney,Niall Loughlin and Liam McGoldrick are travelling,Sean Leo McGoldrick is retired,Niall Holly does not wish to commit whereas Garth McKinless, Danny Heavron and Emmett McGuckin were not selected.

There are such physical and mental demands on players these days that it is going to be increasingly difficult for teams outside of Division One either to be promoted or to be at least competitive if this trend continues.Hopefully the introduction of a more meaningful Second Tier system will stem this widening of the gap between the top three or four teams and the rest.

At club level the same type  of  unrealistic physical and mental demands are being placed on players with the same net outcome that an increasing number of club players are also making themselves unavailable for club matches in either league or championship.

At National level the GAA  must ask themselves should there  not be a limit placed on the amount of training sessions required either at club or county level.Most players would like to think that there is a life outside the outrageous ratio of  training sessions  to games demanded by managers nowadays.( I do of course realise it would be extremely difficult to police such an embargo but I feel something innovative and sensible should be done urgently before the integrity and enjoyment  of our games themselves are totally compromised.)

clawaddy

I am one of the 39 season ticket holders of Derry and am considering whether it is worth renewing for another year. I keep reading about the introduction of a second tier competition which given our low league position I am assuming Derry would be in this second tier. I have absolutely no interest in watching Derry play in a meaningless second tier competition.  I would much rather they played against currently stronger teams even if it resulted in some heavy defeats. If this comes into operation I will not be attending and I have missed very few games in the last almost 50 years.

JoG2

Quote from: clawaddy on November 28, 2018, 09:32:05 PM
I am one of the 39 season ticket holders of Derry and am considering whether it is worth renewing for another year. I keep reading about the introduction of a second tier competition which given our low league position I am assuming Derry would be in this second tier. I have absolutely no interest in watching Derry play in a meaningless second tier competition.  I would much rather they played against currently stronger teams even if it resulted in some heavy defeats. If this comes into operation I will not be attending and I have missed very few games in the last almost 50 years.

If they go with 2 tiers, option one seems to be the favoured of the 2 meaning we'd get a minimum 2 rattles at Sam. Surely if we're not good enough to keep on this route, tier 2 is the championship we should be playing in? You'd abandon your county you've supported for 50 odd years because at a particular time we're not up to tier 1 level? At this stage, those players probably need the likes of yourself more than ever

New top is really nice btw

JohnDenver

I struggle to understand this mentality. It's akin to firing all clubs in Derry into the John McLaughlin. Slaughtneil v Glack in the 1st round. 40 point defeat, but sure as long as they have the prestige of being in the JMcL cup  ::)

To me it makes perfect sense to have championships based on league standings, in the same way club championships are structured. By all means keep the provincial championships which every team enters, with a reward being that if you reach the provincial final or win it, you are automatically entered into the Sam Maguire. If not you play in the championship based on your league standing (Sam Maguire = division 1 and 2, 2nd Tier Competition = division 3 & 4 teams).

I'm sure if you asked any Banagher or Limavady player this season did they feel any sense of belittlement of their championship success the answer would be not at all. You don't get chances to win much silverware at adult level, so with a bit of backing and support for a similar county structure, we would soon see these competitions getting the recognition they deserve.

Keyser soze

Quote from: JohnDenver on November 29, 2018, 08:43:29 AM

I struggle to understand this mentality. It's akin to firing all clubs in Derry into the John McLaughlin. Slaughtneil v Glack in the 1st round. 40 point defeat, but sure as long as they have the prestige of being in the JMcL cup  ::)

To me it makes perfect sense to have championships based on league standings, in the same way club championships are structured. By all means keep the provincial championships which every team enters, with a reward being that if you reach the provincial final or win it, you are automatically entered into the Sam Maguire. If not you play in the championship based on your league standing (Sam Maguire = division 1 and 2, 2nd Tier Competition = division 3 & 4 teams).

I'm sure if you asked any Banagher or Limavady player this season did they feel any sense of belittlement of their championship success the answer would be not at all. You don't get chances to win much silverware at adult level, so with a bit of backing and support for a similar county structure, we would soon see these competitions getting the recognition they deserve.

We can't get all our top players to commit to playing Senior, there's no way we will get any meaningful group of top players to give that level of commitment if they are going to be playing junior championship.

This whole process towards tiering is another step on the inexorable drive of certain parts of the GAA towards establishing gaelic as a semi professional sport with an elite number of teams.

Anathema to everything I believe the GAA to be.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Keyser soze on November 29, 2018, 10:13:21 AM

We can't get all our top players to commit to playing Senior, there's no way we will get any meaningful group of top players to give that level of commitment if they are going to be playing junior championship.

This whole process towards tiering is another step on the inexorable drive of certain parts of the GAA towards establishing gaelic as a semi professional sport with an elite number of teams.

Well if we can't get the top players committing to allow us to play senior, then a dose of reality is needed and accept the fact we are not currently a senior level county.

I am absolutely against the semi-pro or pro drive by the way, but I would be of the opinion to let those who want to represent Derry, and there will always be those willing - play, and play at a level they can compete. Success breeds success, and for me it would be better for those to be there enjoying their football and competing.

Keyser soze

Quote from: JohnDenver on November 29, 2018, 10:18:38 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on November 29, 2018, 10:13:21 AM

Well if we can't get the top players committing to allow us to play senior, then a dose of reality is needed and accept the fact we are not currently a senior level county.

I am absolutely against the semi-pro or pro drive by the way, but I would be of the opinion to let those who want to represent Derry, and there will always be those willing - play, and play at a level they can compete. Success breeds success, and for me it would be better for those to be there enjoying their football and competing.

You say Derry are 'currently' a third tier team, I think if tiering is brought in the financial and other infrastructure the top level teams establish will make it nigh impossible for other counties to break into that elite group.

The move to Qualifiers and subsequently to Super 8 has seen the framework for this already established, the core group of elite counties are already firmly in place, the cows in the field could tell you who they are.

Moving to tiered championships is the next stage in cementing this so that only the top 8 teams will have the resources and structure in place to compete at the top level, everyone else will be left behind.

The writing is on the wall for all to see here in the way the game has gone over the past decade.

imtommygunn

Precisely. They have made it like the champions league and sure it's the same teams every year competing again and again.

If you go to tiers then would a team in a tier below the top put as much effort in. Then when they go up a tier they'd be playing at a different pace of game with different fitness levels etc. It would take a few years to claw that back.

Sure look at the hurling. It's just yo yo material. Slightly different I know but similar principles apply.