Mayo Footballer Billy Joe Padden joining Armagh for 2011

Started by GAA_Punter, January 10, 2011, 03:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA_Punter

Though nothing yet from the man himself , not even via Twitter , reports today suggest that Mayo star Billy Joe Padden, who has won three Connacht championships with his home team is on the verge of joining Armagh club, Carrickcruppen and transferring allegiance to the Orchard County.

Son of Mayo legend, Willie Joe, Padden has always had close links with Ulster Football having won a Sigerson All Star in 2004 when at Queens University. He has also had ties with Camlough in Armagh, Should Padden join the Orchard County he will become a useful member of Paddy O'Rourke's squad as they bid once more for a return to the 'glory days' when the National League starts next month. It would be a big blow to Mayo's newly appointed Manager James Horan. His transfer would require approval under Inter-county transfer rules.

saffron sam2

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

The GAA

Any benefit in this for Armagh? none at all in my view.

Better off with a hungry 22 year old full of potentialin a panel than taking in mediocre panellists from other mediocre counties.

mattockranger

will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Jimmy14

ck

Quote from: Jimmy14 on January 10, 2011, 06:57:34 PM
Is he an asset on the pitch for Armagh??

I don't believe so. Mayo never quote found a position for him and he didnt make the panel over the last couple of years (at least I don't remember him playing). So why would Armagh want him?

mylestheslasher

Someone making or not making the Mayo panel doesn't mean much given the politics of that county. That Costello lad played a blinder for Sligo in Connaught last year and he couldn't get on the Mayo panel either. I'd say Padden is a decent enough footballer and maybe Armagh could get something out of him that Mayo couldn't

you take er!

Remains to be seen. I always found him to be a solid county footballer. coming with his background he will surely be some addition

Whitehair

Quote from: mattockranger on January 10, 2011, 05:39:41 PM
what is his close ties with that area?

He married a girl from the area that he met during his Queens days.

Orior

He actually married a bird from Lissummon outside Poyntzpass.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

RedandGreenSniper

It was widely expected that Billy Joe would move. Since he got married he was living in Newry, working in Kildare as a town planner and then travelling to play with Mayo - and often even further to play with his club, Belmullet, right in the north-west edge of the county. I doubt any other inter-county footballer was putting in a similar commitment.

As a player with Mayo Billy Joe often got a raw deal. He was best in the half-forward line but has played for Mayo at full-back, centre-half back, midfield, centre-half forward and full-forward - right up the spine of the team. Has a lot to offer Armagh, I wouldn't be so quick to knock him yet lads based on little enough information that some of ye have.

Best of luck to Billy Joe
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

lawnseed

A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

RedandGreenSniper

Good piece here on BJP's ups and downs by our great blogger, Willie Joe (not his father though!)

http://mayogaablog.com/?p=2020
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Hardy

Mayo never really understood what they Owed to Billy Joe.