Mayo Footballer Billy Joe Padden joining Armagh for 2011

Started by GAA_Punter, January 10, 2011, 03:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangemac

I know there was talk of him joining my home club of Whitecross at 1 stage before he joined Carrickcruppen.

Definitely worth a go in the half forward line although I never remember him as a heavy scorer.

Change of scenery may do him good.

Don Johnson

Quote from: Orangemac on January 10, 2011, 11:38:58 PM
I know there was talk of him joining my home club of Whitecross at 1 stage before he joined Carrickcruppen.

Definitely worth a go in the half forward line although I never remember him as a heavy scorer.

Change of scenery may do him good.

He was brilliant for Queens in my fresher year (03-04) at full forward. Caused a lot of problems.

Always followed his career closely then after and like that blog says he never really got a fair crack at it. Shifted from pillar to post.

bloodybreakball

very composed classy footballer, will be very interestin to see wat way padden does. aaron kernan and padden in a3/4 line and yr cub grugan, mc donnell and clarke inside and ronan clarke on d mend! and midfielders comin out of there ears, definitely an addition and armagh will be very interestin d year

The GAA

Hard working grafter. Armagh's coming down with them. if himself and ak start in the h forward line this year armagh are in serious trouble

Tubberman

Quote from: Hardy on January 10, 2011, 11:26:16 PM
Mayo never really understood what they Owed to Billy Joe.

Obviously not, because you'll have to explain it to me.
Obviously, as supporters we owe our gratitude to all the players. But is there something more that we owe to Billie Joe?
By the way, I am not trying to belittle his commitment or achievements, I have praised him on the Mayo pages.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ross4life

I suppose he always lived in his dads shadow in the eyes of Mayo fans be won't really have that at Armagh now

like a fresh start for him a good talent interesting to see how he does?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Hardy

Quote from: Tubberman on January 11, 2011, 08:35:49 AM

I haven't time.

Five more acres in the lower forty I've got to plough.
It's a shame about Billy Joe anyhow.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: bloodybreakball on January 10, 2011, 11:46:01 PM
very composed classy footballer, will be very interestin to see wat way padden does. aaron kernan and padden in a3/4 line and yr cub grugan, mc donnell and clarke inside and ronan clarke on d mend! and midfielders comin out of there ears, definitely an addition and armagh will be very interestin d year

Sorry, who are you talking about!!??

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on January 11, 2011, 09:47:37 AM

I haven't time.

Good man Hardy. True art

naka

Quote from: Orior on January 10, 2011, 09:25:05 PM
He actually married a bird from Lissummon outside Poyntzpass.
i think you will find that the wife`s family are related to the great peter loughran`s family in camlough

Fear ón Srath Bán

All Official, from www.irishtimes.com:

Padden confirms switch to Armagh

GAA: Mayo footballer Billy Joe Padden has completed a shock switch to Armagh after completing a club transfer from his native Belmullet to Carrickcruppen.

Padden has already been in Armagh training with the extended senior county squad and is now in line to feature for the Orchard County in the National Football League as Paddy O'Rourke's side return to Division 1.

A son of Mayo legend Willie Joe, Padden won a Sigerson All Star in 2004 while attending Queen's University. The 29-year-old has played at full back, midfield and throughout the forward division for Mayo since making his debut in 2002, winning three Connacht titles and a National League title in that period.

He became a bit-part player under John O'Mahony, however, and his last appearance for Mayo came as a second-half substitute in their first-round championship defeat to Sligo last summer.

Padden used his Twitter page to thank all those involved during his time with Mayo. "I'm very grateful to all involved in Mayo football and your good wishes are much appreciated," he said.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Hardy on January 11, 2011, 09:47:37 AM

I haven't time.

no flies on you hardy , jesus barley a thaw and your out with the 3 fir . i hope your giving the horse a break .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 11, 2011, 02:46:59 PM
All Official, from www.irishtimes.com:

Padden confirms switch to Armagh

GAA: Mayo footballer Billy Joe Padden has completed a shock switch to Armagh after completing a club transfer from his native Belmullet to Carrickcruppen.

Padden has already been in Armagh training with the extended senior county squad and is now in line to feature for the Orchard County in the National Football League as Paddy O'Rourke's side return to Division 1.

A son of Mayo legend Willie Joe, Padden won a Sigerson All Star in 2004 while attending Queen's University. The 29-year-old has played at full back, midfield and throughout the forward division for Mayo since making his debut in 2002, winning three Connacht titles and a National League title in that period.

He became a bit-part player under John O'Mahony, however, and his last appearance for Mayo came as a second-half substitute in their first-round championship defeat to Sligo last summer.

Padden used his Twitter page to thank all those involved during his time with Mayo. "I'm very grateful to all involved in Mayo football and your good wishes are much appreciated," he said.

Not that it matters but he came on as a sub against Longford after the Sligo game as well. Someone called him a decent grafter earlier and that is exactly how you would describe him. He never found his place in the Mayo team and I always felt he wasn't the type of player we needed because we had other similar 'grafters' who were a bit better at that task than him (Trevor Mort, Andy Moran etc.). He would be more suited to a team with a lot of flair players and natural scorers who need a bit of muscle to win ball and give them opportunities. I don't know enough about the Armagh team to know whether they could benefit from gaining Padden at present, but I wish him all the best for the future.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

antoinse

Good luck Billie Joe. You are an underrated player and I hope your undoubted talents shine through in Armagh.