GAA in Britain

Started by BennyHarp, June 20, 2007, 12:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

I'll go for a Mitchels win, both sides are not as impressive as previous years.

I've not seen Connolly's play this year but based on the evidence of a few people who have Mitchels will just have a bit too much for them although there probably won't be a lot in it.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Plastic Paddy on November 12, 2013, 01:16:19 AM
PnH at 1.30. Surprised they have sent it to us but pleased. Mitchel's of Birmingham should be gutted. There was an All Britain there this year.

Ah well that rules out going to the game for me. Think Mitchells will edge it. Dont know a huge pile about Connellys but the more competitive nature of the Lancs championship may just mean that the Liverpool lads are a bit more battle hardened.

On a differrent note, it looks like its confirmed that the pennine league next year will be a two division competition with 7 teams in Div 1 and 5 in Div 2. Played on a home and away basis, with top 4 going into semi finals in Div 1 and top 2 into a final in Div 2. I think this is a good development. Offers a minimum of 12 games to Div 1 teams and 8 to div 2. Most Div 2 teams will also be involved in county junior leagues during midweek of the pennine league so they will be getting plenty of football. The Pennine league will replace the Lancs senior league, however, Yorkshire may still run their as it only involves a handful of teams and can be run off fairly quickly. The League is likley to start in April with the final in early August with a break for inter county matches in June.
That was never a square ball!!

Zulu

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 13, 2013, 01:05:40 PM
PnH at 1.30. Surprised they have sent it to us but pleased. Mitchel's of Birmingham should be gutted. There was an All Britain there this year.

Ah well that rules out going to the game for me. Think Mitchells will edge it. Dont know a huge pile about Connellys but the more competitive nature of the Lancs championship may just mean that the Liverpool lads are a bit more battle hardened.

Scottish county final was the best one in years and Dundee were very strong this year so Connollys have had some decent games this year. The semi final will stand to them as well but Connollys lack a bit of class this year so if Mitchells are decent they might edge but it will be close I'd say.

Maroon Manc

On a differrent note, it looks like its confirmed that the pennine league next year will be a two division competition with 7 teams in Div 1 and 5 in Div 2. Played on a home and away basis, with top 4 going into semi finals in Div 1 and top 2 into a final in Div 2. I think this is a good development. Offers a minimum of 12 games to Div 1 teams and 8 to div 2. Most Div 2 teams will also be involved in county junior leagues during midweek of the pennine league so they will be getting plenty of football. The Pennine league will replace the Lancs senior league, however, Yorkshire may still run their as it only involves a handful of teams and can be run off fairly quickly. The League is likley to start in April with the final in early August with a break for inter county matches in June.

Who will be the 7th team in division 1?

The top 6 is quite obvious looking at results for the last few years. Mitchels, Brendans, Peters, Oisins, Benedicts and CuChulains.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 13, 2013, 03:44:33 PM

Who will be the 7th team in division 1?

The top 6 is quite obvious looking at results for the last few years. Mitchels, Brendans, Peters, Oisins, Benedicts and CuChulains.

I think either Wolf Tones or Lawrences. As far as i was told this was to be decided at a Lancs county board meeting.

Plastic Paddy

John Mitchel's v Fullen Gaels in the hurling final in Birmingham on Sunday. Fullen must be favourites after their County final win and strengthening further since.

theticklemister

My understanding was that instead of a 7/5 split, it was going to be 6/6.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: theticklemister on November 16, 2013, 01:44:32 PM

Common sense prevails, A 7/5 split makes would have made no sense at all.

BennyHarp

Was this decided at the Lancs county board meeting? I was led to believe the decision to have a 7/5 split was to give your own club the opportunity to play in Div 1, Ticklemister. Were Wolfe Tones given the option to stay in div 2 or be in Div 1? It was thought that Tones would be fit to compete in div 1 and may not benefit from being in what is likely to be a poor enough Div 2. Though, I believe this decision was to made in Lancs and Yorkshire were happy to go with whatever was decided.

As the league was to be run off whilst the junior leagues where taking place it was thought that the Div 2 teams would mainly be their junior teams so they'd be getting plenty of football with junior league games midweek. The idea, which I agree with, is to have as many senior games as possible of a fair and equal standard during April to August and after all the Lancs senior league is being sacrificed for it.

Zulu

Dunedin Connollys ladies footballers are into the All Ireland junior final after a 5-05 to 0-13 win over St. Helens Longford in todays All Ireland semi final.

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 16, 2013, 07:02:48 PM

Was this decided at the Lancs county board meeting? I was led to believe the decision to have a 7/5 split was to give your own club the opportunity to play in Div 1, Ticklemister. Were Wolfe Tones given the option to stay in div 2 or be in Div 1? It was thought that Tones would be fit to compete in div 1 and may not benefit from being in what is likely to be a poor enough Div 2. Though, I believe this decision was to made in Lancs and Yorkshire were happy to go with whatever was decided.

As the league was to be run off whilst the junior leagues where taking place it was thought that the Div 2 teams would mainly be their junior teams so they'd be getting plenty of football with junior league games midweek. The idea, which I agree with, is to have as many senior games as possible of a fair and equal standard during April to August and after all the Lancs senior league is being sacrificed for it.

No nothing certified of what I can recall. I think we were out of depth this year and a spell in division 2 would be realistic. we only won one game in senior football this year and that was championship. We also got beat in penine league division 2 final. I think division 2 may be our standard.

BennyHarp

Quote from: theticklemister on November 18, 2013, 09:31:01 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on November 16, 2013, 07:02:48 PM

No nothing certified of what I can recall. I think we were out of depth this year and a spell in division 2 would be realistic. we only won one game in senior football this year and that was championship. We also got beat in penine league division 2 final. I think division 2 may be our standard.

Fair enough. I'll it will be 6 and 6 then. 10 decent games in the Pennine League is a big improvement from last year for us anyway, though it will be tough enough for us to compete in Div 1 too I'd imagine.

theticklemister

Im not too familiar with yorkshire but you will have top quality games against the manchester teams and mitchels. And it gives us games against teams with same standard. It saves you playing the same teams also year on year , it fresyens it up.

Zulu

John Mitchels 2-15 Dunedin Connollys 1-11 FT. Close game for long periods but JM pull away after their second goal. Great game by all accounts.

Zulu

Best of luck to Dunedin Connollys ladies who play Na Gaeil in the junior All Ireland football final tomorrow in Laois. I think they'll be up against the best team they've met so far this year but they should have a great chance as they've a good deal of quality themselves.