Castlederg

Started by armaghniac, August 09, 2013, 08:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 11, 2013, 07:11:00 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on August 11, 2013, 07:07:09 PM
I saw a few clips on utv seems to have went well. there'll need to be one organised for each county on a more formal basis. there were a few volunteers in the markethill area and portadown that need proper tribute.
Yes, great idea, we definitely need more parades.
Fantastic idea. Traditional Catholic/Nationalist/Republican areas like Portadown and Markethill would welcome these parades with open arms.

Wildweasel74

just like orange marches, i dont think we need marches like this, Sinn Fein cant take the morale high ground over parades, then try to piss over the opposition trying to justify these marches while opposing orange marches go ahead.You can remember people without parading down the main street. Imagine the outcry if they ever try to march down Omagh town street. In general its been another piss poor summer with bad blood with parades, all simmering up from the flag protests earlier in the year.

People tend to forget we have to make things better for our children in the future as this generation got no hope, and parades about internment 40yrs ago and a battle on the boyne over 300 yrs ago is the past not the future.

Maguire01

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 11, 2013, 07:27:31 PM
just like orange marches, i dont think we need marches like this, Sinn Fein cant take the morale high ground over parades, then try to piss over the opposition trying to justify these marches while opposing orange marches go ahead.You can remember people without parading down the main street. Imagine the outcry if they ever try to march down Omagh town street. In general its been another piss poor summer with bad blood with parades, all simmering up from the flag protests earlier in the year.

People tend to forget we have to make things better for our children in the future as this generation got no hope, and parades about internment 40yrs ago and a battle on the boyne over 300 yrs ago is the past not the future.
Indeed it would be sickening. But no doubt we'd have some politicians who would argue: "No unionist MLA, councillor, MP or minister, no loyalist paramilitary or loyal order spokesperson - no matter how loud they shout, will prevent me or any other republican honouring our comrades who gave their lives in the struggle for Irish freedom and equality."

Take a look at this video - change the colour of the flags, add a few sashes, and it's an Orange march.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-23656197
Same crap music, same pissing off 'themmuns', same pointless marching up a road.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 11, 2013, 07:33:04 PM
Take a look at this video - change the colour of the flags, add a few sashes, and it's an Orange march.
Same crap music, same pissing off 'themmuns', same pointless marching up a road.

Monkey see, monkey do.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

seafoid

Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 11, 2013, 07:42:30 PM

Monkey see, monkey do.

The tricolour is a real joke at this stage.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: seafoid on August 11, 2013, 08:20:27 PM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 11, 2013, 07:42:30 PM

Monkey see, monkey do.

The tricolour is a real joke at this stage.
No, the people who dishonour it are the joke.

trileacman

Had a mate from the area who said this on Facebook,

QuoteCastlederg and the North West faces bigger issues than any 'Parade' or 'Protest' in the future. I hope the politicians and public are as passionate and enthusiastic about our area then as they are now.

Find it sad that this is what people chose to remember on the same day as we mark the deaths of the Omagh bomb victims, which included the loss of 6 children and 6 teenagers.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

orangeman

Trileacman - your point was not missed by the Unionists.

GK came out fighting today. I'd say he got a good cheer for this.

Sinn Féin North Belfast MLA, Gerry Kelly, addressed the marchers, criticising what he called the "media maelstrom of attacks" ahead of the event.

Mr Kelly said: "No unionist MLA, councillor, MP or minister, no loyalist paramilitary or loyal order spokesperson - no matter how loud they shout, will prevent me or any other republican honouring our comrades who gave their lives in the struggle for Irish freedom and equality."
He added that the centre of Castlederg was supposed to be a "shared space" and almost 20 unionist marches had taken place in the town so far this year.

"Yet when a single republican commemoration parade is organised we are confronted with a deluge of orchestrated complaints.

"In effect we are being told that it is right for unionism to remember their British dead without interference but how dare republicans remember their Irish dead in the same way."

Mr Kelly said there must not be "a hierarchy of victims which would discriminate against republicans and nationalists not just in life, but in death also".

'Intense provocation'

The Ulster Unionist representatives for the area, Ross and Derek Hussey, were among those attending the counter-demonstration.

Ross Hussey said: "In the face of intense provocation from apologists for murder, the families maintained their dignity and ensured that the memories of their loved ones will always rise above that of the bombers and those that celebrate murderers.

He added: "Despite Sinn Féin dancing on the graves of IRA victims, the people of Castlederg sent out a strong message today that they will not be faced down by Sinn Féin.

"As for Sinn Fein themselves, I don`t think they have any shame - celebrating Irish republican bombers on the same day as families gather in Omagh to remember their loved ones, murdered by Irish republican bombers in that town 15 years ago"

Main Street

Quote from: orangeman on August 11, 2013, 09:10:05 PM
Trileacman - your point was not missed by the Unionists.

GK came out fighting today. I'd say he got a good cheer for this.

Sinn Féin North Belfast MLA, Gerry Kelly, addressed the marchers, criticising what he called the "media maelstrom of attacks" ahead of the event.

Mr Kelly said: "No unionist MLA, councillor, MP or minister, no loyalist paramilitary or loyal order spokesperson - no matter how loud they shout, will prevent me or any other republican honouring our comrades who gave their lives in the struggle for Irish freedom and equality."
He added that the centre of Castlederg was supposed to be a "shared space" and almost 20 unionist marches had taken place in the town so far this year.

"Yet when a single republican commemoration parade is organised we are confronted with a deluge of orchestrated complaints.

"In effect we are being told that it is right for unionism to remember their British dead without interference but how dare republicans remember their Irish dead in the same way."

Mr Kelly said there must not be "a hierarchy of victims which would discriminate against republicans and nationalists not just in life, but in death also".

'Intense provocation'

The Ulster Unionist representatives for the area, Ross and Derek Hussey, were among those attending the counter-demonstration.

Ross Hussey said: "In the face of intense provocation from apologists for murder, the families maintained their dignity and ensured that the memories of their loved ones will always rise above that of the bombers and those that celebrate murderers.

He added: "Despite Sinn Féin dancing on the graves of IRA victims, the people of Castlederg sent out a strong message today that they will not be faced down by Sinn Féin.

"As for Sinn Fein themselves, I don`t think they have any shame - celebrating Irish republican bombers on the same day as families gather in Omagh to remember their loved ones, murdered by Irish republican bombers in that town 15 years ago"

I think Gerry Kelly spoke well and pertinent.

lawnseed

it was great. I could really get into this parading. the bands were class, the uniforms were cool, the speeches were good and the weather was perfect.. not too warm. it was great to meet are tyrone brothers again. this kind of commemoration needs to be moved around each county so all our dead volunteers can be honoured for their sacrifice. we need more monuments. nothing too tacky, the one at Mullaban is class and is a nice place to sit down and say a prayer.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lawnseed on August 11, 2013, 11:31:03 PM
it was great. I could really get into this parading. the bands were class, the uniforms were cool, the speeches were good and the weather was perfect.. not too warm. it was great to meet are tyrone brothers again. this kind of commemoration needs to be moved around each county so all our dead volunteers can be honoured for their sacrifice. we need more monuments. nothing too tacky, the one at Mullaban is class and is a nice place to sit down and say a prayer.
Are you on the wind-up or just a madman?

armaghniac

Kelly's comments about shared space is fine. But the "we'll do what we like regardless" is a mirror image of what we are used to.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

orangeman

Quote from: armaghniac on August 11, 2013, 11:38:42 PM
Kelly's comments about shared space is fine. But the "we'll do what we like regardless" is a mirror image of what we are used to.

You have to keep the electorate happy.

But there seems to be a genuine breakdown in relations over this whole fleg and parading issue between SF and the DUP.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: orangeman on August 11, 2013, 11:43:10 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 11, 2013, 11:38:42 PM

You have to keep the electorate happy.

But there seems to be a genuine breakdown in relations over this whole fleg and parading issue between SF and the DUP.
Do the SF electorate really buy this shit? I don't beloeve for one minute that people would stop voting Sinn Fein if they said tomorrow that they would continue to remember volunteers in a lower key ceremony in a field amd would stop backing marches/parades in any town. I honestly believe there would be political capital in this approach with minimal pushback from the electorate.

Hardy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 11, 2013, 11:36:05 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on August 11, 2013, 11:31:03 PM
Are you on the wind-up or just a madman?

:D

Thank you for lightening the awfulness of this depressing episode. It does help to remember that we really are dealing with a gang of mad bastards.