FAI...June 2024 Friendlies v Hungary and Portugal

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: general_lee on October 11, 2016, 08:10:15 AM
Fitness levels aren't as important to an international team as they are to a club side. So so long as they are match fit and can last 60/70 mins at 34 what more do you want?

A history of making those 60/70 minutes count would be a great start.

keepherlit

Quote from: thewobbler on October 11, 2016, 08:19:30 AM
Fitness levels aren't as important to an international team as they are to a club side. So so long as they are match fit and can last 60/70 mins at 34 what more do you want?

He certainly offers alot more than Whelan and McCarthy combined - suppose that wouldn't be hard.

seafoid

Quote from: Capt Pat on October 10, 2016, 06:42:40 PM
Why Venezuela? Colombia would be a better option. I don't think Venezuela have ever qualified for a world cup.
Fair enough. Venezuela would be a bit cheaper

seafoid

Quote from: thewobbler on October 10, 2016, 10:28:01 PM
Hoolahan.

I'd love to punch every pundit who breathes his name.

A journeyman with a half decent pass and truly awful fitness levels.

He never was the answer unless the question was "who is Stephen McPhail's modern equivalent?".
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken
Dunphy is truly fascinating.

muppet

Quote from: keepherlit on October 11, 2016, 08:39:33 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 11, 2016, 08:19:30 AM

He certainly offers alot more than Whelan and McCarthy combined - suppose that wouldn't be hard.

Yes a midfield of two Wes Hoolahans, instead of McCarthy + Whelen would be defensively rock solid, wouldn't it?
MWWSI 2017

Esmarelda

Quote from: thewobbler on October 10, 2016, 10:28:01 PM
Hoolahan.

I'd love to punch every pundit who breathes his name.

A journeyman with a half decent pass and truly awful fitness levels.

He never was the answer unless the question was "who is Stephen McPhail's modern equivalent?".
There's no doubting that Dunphy exaggerates most of his points for effect but to say Hoolahan is not the answer is completely wrong in my opinion.

He's unique to the squad in that he can control the game from the middle of the field. This is obvious from the game on Sunday night. I'm not sure how anyone watching couldn't see that.

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 10, 2016, 10:03:00 PM
His workrate is questionable.
This is beyond my understanding. His work-rate for a player of his age, and of his supposed fitness, is remarkable. If anything, he needs to pace himself throughout a game.

pearseog

Hoolahan is OK against the Moldova's etc. Against the big teams when we invariably kick long to Long/Walters the game bypasses him. Belgium in the Euros being a big example. Can do a job when chasing a game against the bigger teams but not from the start.

I'd play Arter McCarthy Hendrick in the middle when all are fit. McCarthy's better games are when he's not beside Whelan. Play Brady and Coleman at wing back and let the attack from deep. 

Declan

Surely Daryl Horgan is due a call up?? Some goals last night

general_lee

An Watcher

Harry Arter played the full 90 minutes for Bournemouth yday.  Seriously doubting this lads commitment to Ireland.  I know a few people have touted him for England as well as he only played friendlies for us.  Good luck to him but stop stringing us along and get your one England cap

bogball88

Anyone heading over to Vienna in a few weeks?

Esmarelda

Quote from: An Watcher on October 16, 2016, 10:53:01 AM
Harry Arter played the full 90 minutes for Bournemouth yday.  Seriously doubting this lads commitment to Ireland.  I know a few people have touted him for England as well as he only played friendlies for us.  Good luck to him but stop stringing us along and get your one England cap
You one of the boys on Twitter recently or did you miss that whole episode in the media?

Doubt away but your last sentence is without foundation.

An Watcher

muppet

MWWSI 2017