Fermanagh v Dublin AIQ/Final

Started by SamFever, July 26, 2015, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: T Fearon on August 02, 2015, 10:11:50 PM
15/2 Mayo doesn't look bad value.Bound to break the hoodoo sooner or later.

I guess there was someone saying that around 1960
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

macdanger2

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 02, 2015, 10:03:09 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 02, 2015, 09:53:21 PM

The weight of money on Dublin means their odds will always be shorter than their "true" odds though

Of course you're right - it's clear that Dublin won't even make it to the final.

I wasn't saying that at all!

Ordinarily speaking, you'd expect kerry to be slight favourites ahead of Dublin based on form and having a supposed easier run of it.

Since Dublin will always attract more bets however, the bookies will shorten their odds to reduce their risk. It was just a comment on how bookies operate rather than on either team's chances.

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2015, 09:36:56 PM
Quote from: giveballaghback on August 02, 2015, 09:30:09 PM
Well I said in an earlier post that regardless of todays result Fermanagh are the team of this years championship and how right i am, what a performance today against all the odds, if you take indianas snide and ignorant comments about Sean Quigley as fact then every player that plays in the rugby world cup can be considered as unfit and ill prepared, the thing is Quigley after putting in a hard shift was going better than any Dublin player at the end, maybe if the dubs were given proper dinners instead of bangers and mash when they were kids they would have a bit of stamina as well, yere factory athletes well get turned over once again in the semi, maybe they should try cabbage and bacon, Cluxton was pushed over the line like a feather weight, as for Connolly an athlete? for .... sake, im outa here, wheres me old moores almanac so I can read proper bull.

Nothing snide about it at all. I'm simply bemused how someone who is quite obviously very talented , that his 2 stone overweight girth is a case for celebration by the GAA world. And then the even more ludricrous suggestion that if he got fitter he'd dis-improve. Bizarre, bizarre stuff in my opinion.
This isn't the 70's you know

I was half expecting to see Jimmy Keavney down the other end.

Westside

Dublin are a horrible team to watch. Manufactured athletes that are so far above everyone else in terms of funding and professionalism that they rarely need to show any sort of heart to get through games which they play in their back yard with their off season soccer supporters. They don't look like they particularly enjoy the game, it looks more like a case of going out and winning to keep their semi celebrity lifestyles going. Plus they all have the personality of a wet paper bag on and off the pitch. They're winning by sheer weight of numbers and $$$. Fermanagh today is what the GAA is about, something da Duubs will never experience.

moysider

Quote from: T Fearon on August 02, 2015, 10:11:50 PM
15/2 Mayo doesn't look bad value.Bound to break the hoodoo sooner or later.

Here's the problem. For Mayo to win they would have to beat 3 top4 teams in Donegal, Dublin and Kerry. Now what are the chances of that happening?

Donegal also have to beat 3 top4 teams in Mayo, Dublin and Kerry.

Dublin will have to beat 2 in Mayo/Donegal and Kerry.

And of course Kerry play only one top 4 team to win Sam. Lucky hoors. It's important to be lucky as well as good.

If Cork had beaten Kerry the first day (and they should have only for a tit of a ref) Kerry would have played Dublin today I think? That would have opened things nicely. As it is Kerry have only to worry about getting one day right in September realistically.

Sidney

Quote from: Westside on August 02, 2015, 10:35:16 PM
Dublin are a horrible team to watch. Manufactured athletes that are so far above everyone else in terms of funding and professionalism that they rarely need to show any sort of heart to get through games which they play in their back yard with their off season soccer supporters. They don't look like they particularly enjoy the game, it looks more like a case of going out and winning to keep their semi celebrity lifestyles going. Plus they all have the personality of a wet paper bag on and off the pitch. They're winning by sheer weight of numbers and $$$. Fermanagh today is what the GAA is about, something da Duubs will never experience.
I spotted 47 Dublin players playing at one stage in the first half today. It did look a bit suss but I was happy to go along with it if it meant we won.

I'm looking forward to seeing Denis Bastick appear on the front cover of next week's Sunday Independent "Life" magazine with Paul Galvin, Darran O'Sullivan, James O'Donoghue and Dick Clerkin for Barry Egan's weekly "Men About Town" feature.

Westside

Michael Dara.. How in the name of God did that man get footballer of the year? He played a whole half of football today, I don't think he kicked the ball once...

Sidney

Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2015, 09:09:50 PM
25-3 in fermanagh's favour the free count today.

That referee should never be allowed referee at this level again.

Out of his depth
I really loved the twee patronising of Fermanagh today.

It was like if a much younger fat child is allowed play football with the older, bigger boys at school to raise his self-esteem. The bigger boys go easy in the tackle on him, let him do a few nutmegs on them and deliberately crash into each other, leaving him to score a few tap-ins for goals. The teacher refereeing the match gives a free any time he loses the ball.

Jim Gavin's big grin at the end when he went over to Pete McGrath was like the teacher patting the fat kid on the head at the end and giving him a special badge to tell him he was the best player in the match.

I haven't seen such a triumph of human spirit in a sporting context since Eric The Eel. Heroic stuff.

Hound

Disappointing from the Dubs today.

In defence, I'm happy enough with O'Carroll, Cooper and McCaffrey. But McCarthy is playing well below what he's capable off, and O'Sullivan a bit below what his level should be. I've no fackin idea what Philly McMahon's role is. He's doing very well generally when on the ball, but he's regularly out of position when the opposition have the ball. I think we're wide open to concede goals from now on when we'll be playing good teams.

Fenton's doing really well at midfield, but its an unknown how he'll do against the strong midfields that the likes of Mayo, Donegal, Kerry will have. Macauley has to start alongside him.

Flynn has had a shocking year. Shooting and footpassing has been just awful and he's showing no urgency. Ironcially finished the match well today after he got a belt late on. Maybe he needs a belt earlier in the game next time! Otherwise forwards are going reasonably well. Bernard is in good form and Andrews played well. Kilkenny had a decent first half, looked to pull up with a strain of some sort in the warm up to the 2nd half, but will hopefully be ok for the semi. Diarmuid still the best player in the country in my very biased opinion.

Contrary to a lot of opinion, I'm not overly impressed with our bench.

Not confident of winning Sam any longer, but if Mayo beat Donegal, the semi v Dublin will be a super game of football, as would a final of Mayo/Dublin v Kerry.
Kerry have definitely improved on last year, so I think they'll have enough to win overall, but exciting games to come.

under the bar

QuoteQuigley is natural class, Connolly is manufactured rubbish. It's like comparing Elvis with Justin Bieber!

Quigley outshone the entire creatine brigade today.  Natural skill and normal eating will always show up the artificially enhanced who live their lives on dodgy drinks supplements!

Sidney

Quote from: under the bar on August 02, 2015, 10:55:12 PM
QuoteQuigley is natural class, Connolly is manufactured rubbish. It's like comparing Elvis with Justin Bieber!

Quigley outshone the entire creatine brigade today.  Natural skill and normal eating will always show up the artificially enhanced who live their lives on dodgy drinks supplements!
You call the Fat Brendan Grace's diet "normal eating"?

TomFun

Quote from: Sidney on August 02, 2015, 10:54:00 PM

Out of his depth

It was like if a much younger fat child is allowed play football with the older, bigger boys at school to raise his self-esteem. The bigger boys go easy in the tackle on him, let him do a few nutmegs on them and deliberately crash into each other, leaving him to score a few tap-ins for goals. The teacher refereeing the match gives a free any time he loses the ball.

Jim Gavin's big grin at the end when he went over to Pete McGrath was like the teacher patting the fat kid on the head at the end and giving him a special badge to tell him he was the best player in the match.

I haven't seen such a triumph of human spirit in a sporting context since Eric The Eel. Heroic stuff.

Crow away boys. If Fermanagh had 20% of dubs funding then expectations might be different. Dubs are heads and shoulders above all other teams commercially but still not within an ass's roar of an all Ireland. Well done.

INDIANA

Quote from: TomFun on August 02, 2015, 11:00:29 PM

Out of his depth

Crow away boys. If Fermanagh had 20% of dubs funding then expectations might be different. Dubs are heads and shoulders above all other teams commercially but still not within an ass's roar of an all Ireland. Well done.

Ah yes - funding the crutch for all pizza eating county teams out there.

TomFun

Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2015, 11:01:26 PM

Out of his depth

Genius or kn**ker?

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2015, 11:01:26 PM

Out of his depth

Ah jaysus Indiana cut them a bit of slack. A small population and half that no interest in the game. About 20 clubs. Huge achievement for them to get there.

What are counties like Fermanagh supposed to do. Lie down and die?

The way scorelines are going I can see some counties regressing further because the gap is widening and for 20+ counties the effort is futile.  A waste of time and the bit of money they have and demoralising for a county.

Dublin can lose a game and most of the population wouldn t know or care. That is not the way it is in a county like Roscommon e.g.

I m not convinced that funding would overcome the imbalance but it has to be looked at. The fact that it is causing resentment is a problem in itself.

Croke Park's location a problem. Mostly less than half empty for games and hamstrung when it comes to holding concerts and stuff. Smaller/all counties could have done with a bit of money from Rugby/Soccer matches and Garth Brookes' concerts.