The official "I hate sports X, Y and Z" thread

Started by Eamonnca1, November 06, 2013, 06:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Quote from: screenexile on November 07, 2013, 11:42:06 AM
I don't see what the problem is with Rugby... the reason for the Media hype is because it's probably the only world sport that we are relatively competitive in. What's wrong with celebrating that?

The dislike of the Irish Rugby team is more good old fashioned begrudgery than anything else. Plenty here are happy to call them all dicks but what is that based on?!

Sorry to point out that Ireland have NEVER EVER won a knockout game in the whole history of the Rugby World Cup.
As a game it is ok-ish but the guff and Pollyannaism spouted on and on about the game itself is imo anyway ott.

deiseach

Quote from: J OGorman on November 07, 2013, 11:52:27 AM
dislike yer countries team cause a few of them are dicks? 90% of professional soccer players?, now they're grade A dicks. At least the rugger buggers behave like grown men on the pitch

I cheer for Ireland. Winning the Grand Slam in 2009 was a proper moment, the culmination of 20+ years of near misses and very wide ones. But when they lose, I don't miss any sleep over them in the way I would over Waterford or Liverpool. It's not rational, but that's the way I feel. Oh, and I certainly admire the on-field prowess of rugby players. If anything, I think they're too brave. The rules of rugby proceed on the basis that players are not professionals and therefore not likely to be built like tanks. But they are these days, and I would worry about the long term effects that the first generation of professionals are going to experience.

AQMP

I enjoy most sports but confess I don't have much time for Orange Marching and Formula 1.

I think cricket is brilliant.

Billys Boots

QuoteAs a game it is ok-ish but the guff and Pollyannaism spouted on and on about the game itself is imo anyway ott.

And you've forgotten the advertising, which is worst of all. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ballinaman

Some lads might hate this but thought it was class....looking forward to it in Sochi in Feb

Snowboard Cross

J OGorman

Quote from: deiseach on November 07, 2013, 11:58:22 AM
dislike yer countries team cause a few of them are dicks? 90% of professional soccer players?, now they're grade A dicks. At least the rugger buggers behave like grown men on the pitch

I cheer for Ireland. Winning the Grand Slam in 2009 was a proper moment, the culmination of 20+ years of near misses and very wide ones. But when they lose, I don't miss any sleep over them in the way I would over Waterford or Liverpool. It's not rational, but that's the way I feel. Oh, and I certainly admire the on-field prowess of rugby players. If anything, I think they're too brave. The rules of rugby proceed on the basis that players are not professionals and therefore not likely to be built like tanks. But they are these days, and I would worry about the long term effects that the first generation of professionals are going to experience.

fair enough. I enjoy the hits and manliness, but as you say, the impact of some of the hits is ferocious. Watching ireland getting over the try line against one of the big teams is something special

cricket wise, a 20 20 or 1 day match would be watchable, but a 5 dayer, jayzus, that would be a mission and a half

any fans of bukkake out there?

gallsman

Quote from: deiseach on November 07, 2013, 11:47:26 AM
Quote from: screenexile on November 07, 2013, 11:42:06 AM
The dislike of the Irish Rugby team is more good old fashioned begrudgery than anything else. Plenty here are happy to call them all dicks but what is that based on?!

Cos they're dicks. Seriously, there's nothing wrong with disliking a team because of the characteristics, however caricatured, of its supporters, as long as you don't too hot and heavy about it. There's an irrational core to supporting any team, what Jerry Seinfeld called 'rooting for the clothes'.

Leinster rugby and its stereotypical SoCoDu supporters (with some level of factual basis) can be very, very annoying. Was watching a match a few weeks ago and saw a sign saying "D4Tress" and was nearly sick from cringing. I'd previously seen one saying "12 County Army" that I thought was bad enough.

deiseach

Quote from: J OGorman on November 07, 2013, 12:11:11 PM
fair enough. I enjoy the hits and manliness, but as you say, the impact of some of the hits is ferocious. Watching ireland getting over the try line against one of the big teams is something special

I remember when Ireland were camped on England's line in the 2009 game at Croke Park. O'Driscoll had hurt his shoulder earlier but they still popped the ball up to him and over he went. The pain must have been excruciating and he must have known the pain would be excruciating. Still did it though. Incredible.

EC Unique

Rugby, Golf and Hurling I find hard to watch. Probably because I have never played any of them.

seafoid

Quote from: J OGorman on November 07, 2013, 12:11:11 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 07, 2013, 11:58:22 AM

cricket wise, a 20 20 or 1 day match would be watchable, but a 5 dayer, jayzus, that would be a mission and a half

any fans of bukkake out there?
The hits are dangerous. It won't be fun seeing what long term injuries current players have in 20 years' time .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL5wyc9IS74

O'Driscoll is 2 stone heavier than Gibson was, IIRC.

theskull1

Quote from: Bingo on November 07, 2013, 10:32:50 AM
Take any sport, any sport - stand back from it and each sport is as ridiculous as the other.

They serve our competitive nature and at the end of the day they are meant to entertain. Like video games, films, TV shows, music, sex etc etc. All serve to entertain and all to different tastes.

I'd have to disagree with both these points. Alot of sports developed without any initial interest in entertaining anyone, but turn out over time to be entertaining. Many sports developed to strengthen communities as well as develop good relationships with neighbours (to entertain wasn't the prime driver). Nothing ridiculous about those sports IMO. It all gets ugly (in my mind anyway) when the money men take over as they make develop a product to make some money. The masses hoover it up though. There is a big difference

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

OakleafCounty

Professional boxing, not for the sport itself which I think is greatest of all but for the road it has been going down for the past 30 odd years until today when it's nothing more than a business. I don't think it will ever get back to one world title per weight which is nothing less than a crying shame.

With all due respect to men like Bernard Dunne but if there was only one belt per weight I don't think he would ever have been labelled a world champion.

gallsman

Quote from: OakleafCounty on November 07, 2013, 01:13:00 PM
Professional boxing, not for the sport itself which I think is greatest of all but for the road it has been going down for the past 30 odd years until today when it's nothing more than a business. I don't think it will ever get back to one world title per weight which is nothing less than a crying shame.

With all due respect to men like Bernard Dunne but if there was only one belt per weight I don't think he would ever have been labelled a world champion.

The below might interest you.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/queensberry-rules-boxing-blog/2013/oct/15/boxing-one-champion-every-weight

J OGorman

Quote from: EC Unique on November 07, 2013, 12:46:53 PM
Rugby, Golf and Hurling I find hard to watch. Probably because I have never played any of them.

in full flight, is there anything better?

magpie seanie

I'd watch most sports with my favourite sports featuring among those mentioned as "hates" for several on here.

The few I don't have any time for include horse racing & formula 1/motor sports.