Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

gallsman

Give him a new contract!

Armagh18

This club this fecking club. Siuuuuu!!!

Cunny Funt

Daft score line 1st half but United had only themselves to blame with their woeful defending on the two goals conceded and were ridiculously wasteful with the chances created at the other end.

Much the better side 2nd half to earn a fully deserved win and Ronaldo with the match winner once again. A good win when you consider this Atalanta side haven't lost away game since March and they won all of their away games in their Champions league group last season without conceding a goal two of those games was against Ajax and Liverpool.

GiveItToTheShooters

That'll keep the Norwegian PE teacher in a job for another while. Great to see

An Watcher

Said it when Atalanta went 2-0, a win after that is just papering over the cracks.  As poor a utd team as I've seen in a long time. 

NAG1

Typical result for the team at the minute.

Capable of beating anyone on their day and capable of losing to pretty much anyone too.

Genuinely don't know what he does with the CMF. It was obvious even more so than the centre backs that this was the area that needed strengthening. But the question remains if the team had a world class holding mid fielder would that be enough to steady the ship or is it more a system thing?

johnnycool

Quote from: An Watcher on October 20, 2021, 10:52:19 PM
Said it when Atalanta went 2-0, a win after that is just papering over the cracks.  As poor a utd team as I've seen in a long time.

It's a poor team considering the personnel on it. They don't play as a team and are very disjointed.

Wee Scholesy not impressed  ;D

GJL

Quote from: NAG1 on October 21, 2021, 08:10:49 AM
Typical result for the team at the minute.

Capable of beating anyone on their day and capable of losing to pretty much anyone too.

Genuinely don't know what he does with the CMF. It was obvious even more so than the centre backs that this was the area that needed strengthening. But the question remains if the team had a world class holding mid fielder would that be enough to steady the ship or is it more a system thing?

I'm not sure. I think CB is the problem. If you had two top level centre backs the midfield would't be as much of an issue. What other top team in Europe wold Maguire of Lindilof get playing for?

Maguire at fault at the weekend for Leicester's first and again last night for the goal from the corner..

Look back at all the successful teams Utd had and they always had an excellent CB pairing.

I'm not sure. I think CB is the problem. If you had two top level centre backs the midfield would't be as much of an issue. What other top team in Europe wold Maguire of Lindilof get playing for?

Maguire at fault at the weekend for Leicester's first and again last night for the goal from the corner..

Look back at all the successful teams Utd had and they always had an excellent CB pairing.
[/quote]

Maguire and Varane should be a top level center back partnership, If there was a decent holding midfielder in front of them I think it would make a world of difference 

screenexile

Quote from: 03,05,08 on October 21, 2021, 10:21:01 AM

Maguire and Varane should be a top level center back partnership, If there was a decent holding midfielder in front of them I think it would make a world of difference
[/quote]

If the front 3 or 4 aren't doing any pressing it doesn't really matter who you have holding as they'll get played through. Atalanta demonstrated that quite clearly in the first half where they pulled McTominay and Fred all over the place.

People keep saying the Liverpool game will show Utd where they're really at but I would expect them to be compact and try to hit Liverpool on the break where they're more than capable of hitting 2-3 goals and winning the game.

The problem comes when they have to be the dominant team and play attacking themselves. The lack of intensity/pressing from their attacking players leaves them in trouble against teams like Everton/Villa/West Ham/Brighton who are organised and play a counter attacking style against the big teams. Liverpool/Chelsea/City generally turn these teams over and that's where Utd are struggling.

gallsman

Lads, Maguire is an absolute liability, even when fully fit. He gets away with shoves in the back more than any footballer I've ever seen and referees are starting to get wise to it. You could see on Saturday his genuine shock at the ref blowing him up for blatant fouls.

But he scored a goal last night and he cost 80m, so people will overlook the obvious.

Boycey

A lot of people narrow the problems down to a couple of positions and say if Utd had an upgrade in those positions they'd be fine. Personally I think that while obviously there are upgrades in some positions there are enough good players at Utd to be doing significantly better than they are and that comes down to management/coaching.

Boycey

Quote from: gallsman on October 21, 2021, 11:02:44 AM
Lads, Maguire is an absolute liability, even when fully fit. He gets away with shoves in the back more than any footballer I've ever seen and referees are starting to get wise to it. You could see on Saturday his genuine shock at the ref blowing him up for blatant fouls.

But he scored a goal last night and he cost 80m, so people will overlook the obvious.

Hes not but fashionable to say he is

snoopdog

Quote from: gallsman on October 21, 2021, 11:02:44 AM

I would agree Maguire gets an easier ride because he is English. He I no where near top quality. A DM might hide his constant ball watching and poor positioning but also a replacement for him would undoubtedly strengthen the defence. Varane is unquestionaly a class act.