Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 12, 2012, 12:23:47 PM
Surely they have a researcher who could have checked it out beforehand. A quick glance at the fixtures on the Kildare website or even on here would have confirmed that it was a county league game and not championship.

They do indeed, would imagine someone tweeted Des Cahill and he thought he'd be ahead of the possee..

magpie seanie

Quote from: heffo on June 12, 2012, 12:44:25 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 12, 2012, 12:23:47 PM
Surely they have a researcher who could have checked it out beforehand. A quick glance at the fixtures on the Kildare website or even on here would have confirmed that it was a county league game and not championship.

They do indeed, would imagine someone tweeted Des Cahill and he thought he'd be ahead of the possee..

It was a woeful blunder. Lads have got the sack for much less.

Bingo

Quote from: cornafean on June 12, 2012, 11:18:24 AM
The confusion over Johnston made the Sunday Game presenter and panellists look ridiculous the other night. Its about time that they abandoned the tradition of having amateur volunteers panellists on the Sunday Game. I think it would improve the programme if they hired professional panellists who would be paid a decent wage and expenses. At least they would have an incentive to get their facts right unlike the poor volunteers who are there now, doing their best but sadly making a bit of a hames of it.

Am i right in reading the replies to this  ;D  ;D Some people couldn't wait to jump in and tell people what they know without realising the pisstake of this post. Brillant work lads  ;D  ;D

Hound

Quote from: LilySavage on June 12, 2012, 10:46:43 AM
They presented it as if a last minute decision had been made to squeeze a club championship game in in order to make Seanie eligible. Whelan actually said the Kildare CB had manipulated the fixture to do so. What planet are they on, I know they are Dubs but did they honestly think a club championship knockout game like that can be pushed through just like that? Either way, in going out of their way to report on this particular matter, they should have at least gotten their facts right. Shoddy for sure.
Whelan actually said "If its true" then the Kildare CB had manipulated the fixture list. Which would have been correct had it been true. But obviously it wasn't true.

I like Des Cahill, but he was the one clearly at fault here. Thought he had the big scoop and went full steam. You could see that both McStay and Whelan had doubt and were surprised, but they'd no reason to believe Des got it wrong.

Des's limitation as a journalist were highlighted the other week when they talking about Seanie first. You had Colm Parkinson giving out yards about transfers, yet Des hadn't the balls to ask him about his transfer to Parnells (even if to give Parkinson the chance to highlight the differences/similarities). Des would be well aware of the controversy in Dublin GAA circles of the coincidence of Parnells coming into a lot of money and then suddenly becoming an attractive club for intercounty players.

Ohtoohtobe

Think it exposes a lack of knowledge, especially on Cahill's part. Anyone following this even half closely would know that it's very unlikely that a round of the Kildare SFC will be played any time soon.

Hardy

Quote from: cornafean on June 12, 2012, 12:01:53 PM
Quote from: Give and Go on June 12, 2012, 11:56:27 AM
Being a panellist is a good number. They are not volunteers!

That was my point - my career in the irony business is in doubt.  The Sunday Game presenter and panellists are extremely well paid but their uninformed, ill-prepared opinions are only as useful as an average pub bore.

Ah! It's not you - it's a malfunction in my irony detector.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on June 12, 2012, 01:48:20 PM
Think it exposes a lack of knowledge, especially on Cahill's part. Anyone following this even half closely would know that it's very unlikely that a round of the Kildare SFC will be played any time soon.

And mightn't need to be played if the Leinster Leader is to be believed.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

LilySavage

'And mightn't need to be played if the Leinster Leader is to be believed.'

Why?

tommysmith

Quote from: LilySavage on June 12, 2012, 03:52:25 PM

Why?

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/sport/gaelic-games/johnston-s-transfer-was-decided-under-old-rule-but-confusion-reigns-1-3939750

QuoteCentral Competitions Control Committee secretary Patrick Doherty has confirmed that Seanie Johnston's transfer from Cavan Gaels to St Kevin's was decided under the old rule as it was submitted before the annual Congress, writes Ruth Chambers.

However, it is not clear if Johnston is yet eligible to line out for the Lilies because of the fact that the London County Board brought forward their championship in order to ensure their players were eligible to play for the exiles in the Connacht Championship, after a ruling from the Ard Chomhairle. This was despite the fact that their transfer requests were too submitted before Congress.

The Leinster Leader has learned that the Kildare County Board have been asked to write to the Ard Chomhairle to look for a ruling on the matter. Ard Chomhairle are due to meet this Saturday.

Johnston made his debut for his new club St Kevin's last Sunday and scored five points against Kilcock in the SFL encounter.

Donnellys Hollow

Why?

Article in it claiming that the county board have been asked to write to Croke Park for clarification on whether Johnston is subject to the new rule given that the transfer was submitted prior to congress. Think it said there was a meeting on Saturday night.

Haven't got the paper in front of me but I'm sure it's online somewhere.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: tommysmith on June 12, 2012, 03:58:52 PM

Why?

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/sport/gaelic-games/johnston-s-transfer-was-decided-under-old-rule-but-confusion-reigns-1-3939750

QuoteCentral Competitions Control Committee secretary Patrick Doherty has confirmed that Seanie Johnston's transfer from Cavan Gaels to St Kevin's was decided under the old rule as it was submitted before the annual Congress, writes Ruth Chambers.

However, it is not clear if Johnston is yet eligible to line out for the Lilies because of the fact that the London County Board brought forward their championship in order to ensure their players were eligible to play for the exiles in the Connacht Championship, after a ruling from the Ard Chomhairle. This was despite the fact that their transfer requests were too submitted before Congress.

The Leinster Leader has learned that the Kildare County Board have been asked to write to the Ard Chomhairle to look for a ruling on the matter. Ard Chomhairle are due to meet this Saturday.

Johnston made his debut for his new club St Kevin's last Sunday and scored five points against Kilcock in the SFL encounter.

That's the one.

Shamrock Shore

Can Seanie will play a championship hurling match in Kildare to make him eligable for Kildare senior footballers.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 12, 2012, 04:12:49 PM
Can Seanie will play a championship hurling match in Kildare to make him eligable for Kildare senior footballers.

Apparently he can if he plays for 3 minutes or more but it won't happen.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteApparently he can if he plays for 3 minutes or more but it won't happen.

I spose it would be a bridge too far in cute hoorism

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 12, 2012, 04:41:30 PM
QuoteApparently he can if he plays for 3 minutes or more but it won't happen.

I spose it would be a bridge too far in cute hoorism

I'd say they'd be more concerned for his physical well-being. Kildare club hurling can be rather agricultural and I speak from personal experience!