Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Stevie g 8 on April 30, 2012, 05:50:38 PM
Why don,t they just give the man his transfer.What are the GAA trying to prove by delaying it.Thats what,s wrong with the GAA ,officals that have nothing better to do than try and block a man playing that was surplus to requirements in Cavan and go and better himself with playing for a better team.Its amateur after all.The quicker players can transfer or play for whatever team they wish the better.He is going to get enentually

Quote from: Stevie g 8 on May 01, 2012, 05:24:43 PM
myles you say the ethos of the GAA-you are typical of a lot of GAA fans,jealous and bitter to seeing anyone trying to better himself or doing well.just cause the lad has a lot of talent dont be knocking him.he is amateur after all and not getting paid

Hoganstand.com is thattaway ------->
If you were any use you'd be playing.

tommysmith

Quote from: heffo on May 01, 2012, 05:33:09 PM
you are typical of a lot of GAA fans,jealous and bitter to seeing anyone trying to better himself or doing well

Why can't he better himself while helping his county and giving a bit of leadership to a fine bunch of young players coming through?

He was told he wasnt wanted.

heffo

Quote from: tommysmith on May 01, 2012, 05:35:57 PM
you are typical of a lot of GAA fans,jealous and bitter to seeing anyone trying to better himself or doing well

Why can't he better himself while helping his county and giving a bit of leadership to a fine bunch of young players coming through?

Happens week in week out all over the country - player is back in situ before end of league in 99% of these cases.

tommysmith

Quote from: heffo on May 01, 2012, 05:48:43 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on May 01, 2012, 05:35:57 PM

Happens week in week out all over the country - player is back in situ before end of league in 99% of these cases.

I doubt it none of the others who were dropped from panel were called back before the league finished. 

I am not standing up for him i'm just stating what happened.

Stevie g 8

why should he go back,the players nor county board didnt make a stand for him when he was clearly good enough for a poor cavan team after years of service,give the man his transfer and stop the shite

heffo

Quote from: Stevie g 8 on May 01, 2012, 06:04:38 PM
why should he go back,the players nor county board didnt make a stand for him

I don't know of any committee in the country at any level who would interfere in the selection process of a team manager.

As to why his team didn't intervene (at least publically), we'll have to wait for the biography..

haranguerer

I suppose Seanie should take it as a compliment that theres a long thread on his transfer, while theres shitloads that have happened before and since which hardly garner a mention. 

Its a joke the lengths lads are going to to be shocked - 'he knew he'd be photgraphed with the kildare lads so it was deliberately provocative' - 'what does it say to young kildare lads' etc etc. Ffs  - the lad wants to play ball at the highest level, hes got the talent, and hes clearly put it in to get there, so let him get on with it. Particularly amusing to see dubs going out of their way to become aggrieved - nothing to do with local rivalry at all, just standing up for the ethos of the gaa. Sure. 

Good luck to Seanie, he doesnt owe Cavan a f**king thing.

Jinxy

I wonder does Seanie ever refer to himself in the 3rd person?
He seems like the sort who would.
"Hey photographer, come over here and take Seanie Johnstons picture".
"Hey you, number 12 blue, you're wasting your time shooting, just give it in to Seanie Johnston."
"Where did you get those boots? Seanie Johnston wants a pair".
"Laps? Seanie Johnston doesn't do laps".

mylestheslasher

Quote from: haranguerer on May 01, 2012, 07:02:10 PM
I suppose Seanie should take it as a compliment that theres a long thread on his transfer, while theres shitloads that have happened before and since which hardly garner a mention. 

Its a joke the lengths lads are going to to be shocked - 'he knew he'd be photgraphed with the kildare lads so it was deliberately provocative' - 'what does it say to young kildare lads' etc etc. Ffs  - the lad wants to play ball at the highest level, hes got the talent, and hes clearly put it in to get there, so let him get on with it. Particularly amusing to see dubs going out of their way to become aggrieved - nothing to do with local rivalry at all, just standing up for the ethos of the gaa. Sure. 

What he owes Cavan is irrelevant, he is bankrupt are far as Cavan are concerned. His legacy has been decided and in a county that always talks football it will be a pretty shitty legacy. I'm really looking forward to Cavan Gaels winning an Ulster Club without him. That will be funny.

spuds

Been reading this thread with amusement the last while, whereas I see posters like mylestheslasher going a bit too far in his eternal repetitive stance on the Seanie issue it does stand up to scrutiny and I respect his point of view if not agreeing 100% of the time. You haranguer seem to lack the basics of the GAA with the constant references to allowing Seanie play at the highest level and Seanie should be able to play where he likes, catch a grip horseen, this is not the premiership. I'd venture that most posters here, as the majority of members of the GAA do, have a strong preference for this type of transferring not to be allowed and see it as a blight on our games.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Jinxy

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 01, 2012, 07:54:09 PM

What he owes Cavan is irrelevant, he is bankrupt are far as Cavan are concerned. His legacy has been decided and in a county that always talks football it will be a pretty shitty legacy. I'm really looking forward to Cavan Gaels winning an Ulster Club without him. That will be funny.

I think he'll be remembered as a poor mans Conor Mortimer.

haranguerer

Quote from: spuds on May 01, 2012, 08:14:35 PM
You haranguer seem to lack the basics of the GAA with the constant references to allowing Seanie play at the highest level and Seanie should be able to play where he likes, catch a grip horseen, this is not the premiership. I'd venture that most posters here, as the majority of members of the GAA do, have a strong preference for this type of transferring not to be allowed and see it as a blight on our games.

Lack the basics of the gaa? Good man. You certainly, along with a lot of the others so vehemently against the transfer certainly dont lack the basics of hypocrisy.

These transfers happen all the time, at every level.  In this case, my issue isn't with any rules, including the transfer rule. Its with the application of these rules - they arent applied fairly. Not only are blind eyes turned most of the time, but the gaa actively encourage breaches  - see players hurling for weaker counties. Club footballers told to transfer to bigger clubs if they want to be considered for the county. The GAA know that this transfer, if seanie wants it to, will go through - the first request was denied merely in the hope that with the passage of time and acceptance, the media interest would die down.

So we have a rule that noone really gives a f**k about, until, along comes Seanie, decent player, denied top level football at the whim of a manager, wants to transfer to a team that may have a shout at Sam, everyone suddenly remembers the ethos of the GAA. When yous said nothing as it happened with players that didnt matter so much (its reassuring to know you were 'very much against' gallagher moving to cavan Myles, clearly a man of principle. you were pretty quiet about it tho) its very hard to take yous seriously now.

You're right, its not the premiership, seanie isnt getting paid. He still has to go and do a days work, then go to try to play a sport he loves, and now he knows that he is going to get probably the worst abuse any player has ever had to endure in any game he ever plays again, and in all likelihood, have this thrown in his face for the rest of his life,  because there are a crowd of arseholes who think gaa players owe them something. The more I listen to this indignant hypocritcal outrage, the more I hope he goes on and gets a f**king allstar

imtommygunn

These hurling players are allowed some extra leeway as the hope is they will use their ability to help develop the hurling in these weaker counties. They are not going there to win all irelands or contend championships - they are allowed leeway to help develop the players who are there. That's an altogether different scenario and a bad example used to suit your argument.

In what world does no-one give a **** about this rule? Give specific examples. There have been various breaches in various scenarios - Cavan included. The big Carlow fellow to Wicklow was another reasonably high profile example. People didn't like Gallagher to Cavan or Walsh to Wicklow - the fact that there counties were lower profile are irrelevant. They are to me anyway.

haranguerer

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 01, 2012, 10:48:09 PM
These hurling players are allowed some extra leeway as the hope is they will use their ability to help develop the hurling in these weaker counties. They are not going there to win all irelands or contend championships - they are allowed leeway to help develop the players who are there. That's an altogether different scenario and a bad example used to suit your argument.

In what world does no-one give a **** about this rule? Give specific examples. There have been various breaches in various scenarios - Cavan included. The big Carlow fellow to Wicklow was another reasonably high profile example. People didn't like Gallagher to Cavan or Walsh to Wicklow - the fact that there counties were lower profile are irrelevant. They are to me anyway.

Its not a bad example. A rule like this has to be absolute. Once you say, oh, thats different becuase that county hes going to is shite, or hes pretty shite himself, then the rule becomes subjective and therefore utterly useless.

'People didnt like' those transfers you mention. Fair enough. I didnt see much of a fuss about them though, did you? Which is why I'm reacting to this - I see it as sheer hypocrisy, given the 'barely a murmur' over all the other transfers, and I resent the fact that this player, who has done nothing wrong any more than hundreds of others, is being hung out to dry.