Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Give and Go on February 01, 2012, 12:45:48 PM
Thats a Newstalk trait I'm afraid.
Full of pomposity and their own self importance.
They love to be 'one of the lads' and parading their 'inside knowledge' of the dressing room.

A pair of goms. How anyone can listen to their inane drivel for hours at a time, five nights a week is beyond me.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 01, 2012, 01:04:02 PM
QuoteKildare County Board president Seamus Aldridge has criticised the handling of Seanie Johnston's stalled transfer to the county.

The former Leinster chairman believes manager Kieran McGeeney was wrong to speak about the switch before it had been formalised.

He also questioned what the transfer, if successful, will mean to Kildare's up-and-coming footballers.

Aldridge's comments come as Cavan's management committee refused to support Johnstown's transfer from Cavan Gaels to St Kevin's, Staplestown.

They have raised doubts about the legitimacy of Johnston's claim that he is permanently living in Kildare, as is necessary for the switch to be granted.

Kildare chiefs are now likely to be asked by the GAA's Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) to prove Johnston is residing in the county on a full-time basis.

Aldridge has no problem with the 27-year-old moving to Kildare providing everything is above board.

However, he believes McGeeney shouldn't have commented on Johnston making the transfer.

"If he's legal to come then he can come but if he's not, he shouldn't," said Aldridge. "I felt it was inappropriate for the team management to say anything on the subject before it has been made official."

McGeeney has stated he would welcome Johnston with "open arms" but warned the player will have to work hard to force his way into the team.

But Aldridge feels the optics of the possibility of the forward coming into the Kildare panel are wrong.

"If someone comes in like that, then you have the problem of the message sent to young players.

"What sort of signal is it going to send to them? It doesn't seem to be fulfilling the requirements of the GAA."

Aldridge appreciates Kildare have a history of transfers but points out Kerry's Karl O'Dwyer, son of former manager Mick, was a teacher in Rathangan and Brian Murphy, a Cork native, managed a factory in Naas.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/johnston-transfer-row-escalates-182154.html#ixzz1l8QmQNQ7

I wouldn't have much grá for Seámus Aldridge but I agree with everything he says here. About time someone from within Kildare GAA articulated the views widely held by a large proportion of Kildare GAA members.

Takes a Towers man to say what needs to be said. ;)
#newbridgeornowhere

liihb

Quote from: Hardy on February 01, 2012, 02:07:40 PM
Quote from: Give and Go on February 01, 2012, 12:45:48 PM
Thats a Newstalk trait I'm afraid.
Full of pomposity and their own self importance.
They love to be 'one of the lads' and parading their 'inside knowledge' of the dressing room.

A pair of goms. How anyone can listen to their inane drivel for hours at a time, five nights a week is beyond me.

In fairness Hardy I do like them, they run a good show, and the cover all spectrum of sports in fairness to them. They are usually fairly good GAA supporters but the fact that most (not all!) GAA members believe you should play for where you come from seems to have slipped their mind. Also whoever mentioned Parkinson is right, total clown, and wouldn't be taken seriously in genuine GAA circles IMHO.

Wonder did any of them check this out
http://www.balls.ie/2012/02/01/no-wonder-seanie-johnston-hasnt-moved-to-straffan/

Seems like a right bit of traveling from Seanie
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Hardy

Seanie Johnston walks into a bar.

It's his local in Straffan.

The barman says, "You from around these parts?"

Sidney

I listened back to the interview with Cavan PRO Declan Woods from Off The Ball last night (about half way through the second hour) and thought Woods produced a very reasoned and sensible argument as to why the transfer shouldn't go through if the player cannot prove he is living in Kildare. McDevitt produced a couple of bizarre arguments about winter training and payments to managers that he hadn't thought through at all to try and twist things in his favour. Only he knew what relevance those arguments had.

When the interview was over McDevitt and Murphy back in the studio went on a mini-rant about how Cavan were just bitter and implying Johnston was being victimised, the two clearly being in favour of him transferring, although I could have guessed that by McDevitt's tone during the interview anyway. Thought it was pathetic from the two Newstalk lads to be honest. I'd say they're clearly angling for "the big interview" with Johnston if the transfer goes ahead. I've generally been a big fan of their coverage over the years but they were, way, way off the mark here.

Murphy in particular for such a self-professed GAA man seems to be in favour of a lot of things that would undermine its ethos. You can be sure that getting interviews rather than objective coverage is at the heart of that attitude.

McDevitt stated that "Cavan are clearly trying to make it as difficult as possible for this transfer to go through". Yeah, there's a bloody good reason why they are. It's because it directly contravenes both the rules and the spirit of everything the GAA is about. This is not a legitimate transfer like, say, Billy Joe Padden going to Armagh. If Johnston is living in Straffan, and every person in Ireland with any interest in the GAA at this stage knows that he's not, then it shouldn't be too difficult for him to prove it, should it? Or have the forged electricity bills not come through yet?

If the Johnston transfer is allowed, it might not "open the floodgates" but it might well come to be seen as a sort of landmark case. I don't remember a previous inter-county transfer that has been motivated solely by glory-hunting. Something like this will certainly help to damage the club and county ethos.

How anybody can take the view that Johnston should do anything else but fook off with his whinging and try and play his way back onto the Cavan panel is beyond me. This guy's a piss taker of the highest order and Kildare should be ashamed of their part of this too.

Hardy

He orders a pint and a short.

The barman says, "Seanie - are you sure you should be
drinking pints and small ones? Not good for your football",

Seanie says, "Football?"

LeoMc

Seanie Johnson walks into a bar.

It was being wielded by Myles "Take that ya treacherous h00r"

haranguerer

Quote from: Sidney on February 01, 2012, 03:59:49 PM
If the Johnston transfer is allowed, it might not "open the floodgates" but it might well come to be seen as a sort of landmark case. I don't remember a previous inter-county transfer that has been motivated solely by glory-hunting. Something like this will certainly help to damage the club and county ethos.

It may seem a bit rich Cavan giving out about the rules being flaunted in this case when they were perfectly happy to break them when it suited them - I assume Mcdevitts point is along the lines of whats good for the goose is good for the gander, and while it is a bit of whataboutery, it is relevant in an argument like this.

Whats that about johnsons move being solely about glory-hunting? I think the fact that he was told he wouldnt be playing for Cavan this year had a small part in it at least, do you not?

And give over about the ethos of the gaa as if its sacrosanct.....not that long ago part of the the ethos of the gaa was not allowing any of its players to play foreign sports, much more recently its ethos was not to allow foreign games to be played n its pitches, and more recently still it was not to allow members of the security forces to play gaelic games. Thats all changed. So was the ethos incorrect, or were the changes incorrect?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hardy on February 01, 2012, 03:59:29 PM

It's his local in Straffan.

The barman says, "You from around these parts?"

:D

mylestheslasher

Quote from: LeoMc on February 01, 2012, 04:24:58 PM
Seanie Johnson walks into a bar.

It was being wielded by Myles "Take that ya treacherous h00r"

:D :D :D

Jinxy

Quote from: haranguerer on February 01, 2012, 04:36:31 PM

It may seem a bit rich Cavan giving out about the rules being flaunted in this case when they were perfectly happy to break them when it suited them - I assume Mcdevitts point is along the lines of whats good for the goose is good for the gander, and while it is a bit of whataboutery, it is relevant in an argument like this.

Whats that about johnsons move being solely about glory-hunting? I think the fact that he was told he wouldnt be playing for Cavan this year had a small part in it at least, do you not?

And give over about the ethos of the gaa as if its sacrosanct.....not that long ago part of the the ethos of the gaa was not allowing any of its players to play foreign sports, much more recently its ethos was not to allow foreign games to be played n its pitches, and more recently still it was not to allow members of the security forces to play gaelic games. Thats all changed. So was the ethos incorrect, or were the changes incorrect?

Why Kildare then?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on February 01, 2012, 06:21:07 PM

Why Kildare then?

He lives in Straffan, haven't you been following the thread!!

Breffni_Yank

Heard the Newstalk interview there. Woods actually spoke very well. Thought the Newstalk boys were way 'off the ball' ironically. Sounded completely biased and all they want is to see Seanie go too Kildare.

Eoin threw in a few fair unfair questions but Woods handled them well and stuck to this original talking point well. Fair play to him.

Completely take Declan's side in that interview. Fair play.

Sidney

The last time I looked Seanie Johnston wasn't the manager of Cavan. If Val Andrews doesn't want to pick him, that's his decision. Nobody owes any player a game at inter-county level.

Eoin Kelly has been told he won't be playing for Waterford this year. Thankfully he hasn't suddenly decided he wants to play for Galway as a result. Same with Kevin Cassidy. He hasn't suddenly thrown in his lot with Mayo. It says an awful lot about somebody that they immediately throw their toys out of the pram like this. I wouldn't want somebody like that on my team.

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 31, 2012, 11:12:51 AM
And just to reiterate I am against SJ joining Kildare in this matter, just in case anyone is thinking that I am try to condone it whereas I am just fascinated by the hyperbolic reaction from the Dublin posters who should really be interested bystanders.

In fact the vitriol now aimed at Kildare GAA from Dublin forum posters particular those that reside on Reservoir Dubs is almost worthy of a study in itself. Social Media the destructive and negative views of a few, can they create and generate opinion in the Mass?

So basically your annoyed and fascinated that some Dublin supporters have the same opinion as you do on this controversey?