If you were any use you'd be playing.

spuds

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Jinxy on February 01, 2012, 09:52:13 PM
Why's he called 'Jelly'?
Does he like jelly?

Dunno but if this transfer goes through I think he'll be given a new nickname.

haranguerer

Quote from: Sidney on February 01, 2012, 07:13:22 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on February 01, 2012, 04:36:31 PM

Whats that about johnsons move being solely about glory-hunting? I think the fact that he was told he wouldnt be playing for Cavan this year had a small part in it at least, do you not?
The last time I looked Seanie Johnston wasn't the manager of Cavan. If Val Andrews doesn't want to pick him, that's his decision. Nobody owes any player a game at inter-county level.

See 'solely'. If he had been called up for cavan, would he be now transferrign to Kildare?

If nobody owes any player a game at inter co level, then similarly no player owes anyone anything at inter co level. Its an amateur sport ffs.

Give and Go

Quote from: haranguerer on February 02, 2012, 08:31:26 AM

Whats that about johnsons move being solely about glory-hunting? I think the fact that he was told he wouldnt be playing for Cavan this year had a small part in it at least, do you not?
The last time I looked Seanie Johnston wasn't the manager of Cavan. If Val Andrews doesn't want to pick him, that's his decision. Nobody owes any player a game at inter-county level.

See 'solely'. If he had been called up for cavan, would he be now transferrign to Kildare?

If nobody owes any player a game at inter co level, then similarly no player owes anyone anything at inter co level. Its an amateur sport ffs.
[/b]

Taking that to it's logical conclusion, no rules should apply. And so a player can decide to switch allegiances during a competition; 'I was taken off today, feck them, I want to play with the winners in the next round'....
Grow up. He's illegal. End of story.

Hound

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 01, 2012, 01:04:02 PM
QuoteKildare County Board president Seamus Aldridge has criticised the handling of Seanie Johnston's stalled transfer to the county.

The former Leinster chairman believes manager Kieran McGeeney was wrong to speak about the switch before it had been formalised.

He also questioned what the transfer, if successful, will mean to Kildare's up-and-coming footballers.

Aldridge's comments come as Cavan's management committee refused to support Johnstown's transfer from Cavan Gaels to St Kevin's, Staplestown.

They have raised doubts about the legitimacy of Johnston's claim that he is permanently living in Kildare, as is necessary for the switch to be granted.

Kildare chiefs are now likely to be asked by the GAA's Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) to prove Johnston is residing in the county on a full-time basis.

Aldridge has no problem with the 27-year-old moving to Kildare providing everything is above board.

However, he believes McGeeney shouldn't have commented on Johnston making the transfer.

"If he's legal to come then he can come but if he's not, he shouldn't," said Aldridge. "I felt it was inappropriate for the team management to say anything on the subject before it has been made official."

McGeeney has stated he would welcome Johnston with "open arms" but warned the player will have to work hard to force his way into the team.

But Aldridge feels the optics of the possibility of the forward coming into the Kildare panel are wrong.

"If someone comes in like that, then you have the problem of the message sent to young players.

"What sort of signal is it going to send to them? It doesn't seem to be fulfilling the requirements of the GAA."

Aldridge appreciates Kildare have a history of transfers but points out Kerry's Karl O'Dwyer, son of former manager Mick, was a teacher in Rathangan and Brian Murphy, a Cork native, managed a factory in Naas.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/johnston-transfer-row-escalates-182154.html#ixzz1l8QmQNQ7

I wouldn't have much grá for Seámus Aldridge but I agree with everything he says here. About time someone from within Kildare GAA articulated the views widely held by a large proportion of Kildare GAA members.

I think that's complete BS from Aldridge. Not untypical from an administrator trying to deflect blame.

McGeeney has done nothing wrong. His job is to have Kildare win as many games as possible. The future, the youth, club players, etc. all pretty much irrelevant to his job spec - that's the KCB to look after. McGeeney was asked a question and answered it. And he did it in very general terms saying he'd accept anyone who's eligible, and he did even put in the proviso at the end that they'd have to work hard to displace anyone else.

The President of the Kildare County Board has come up with a statement saying "If he's legal...".
According to the Cavan PRO, the KCB (and St Kevins) have already signed a statement declaring that he meets all the transfer requirements, including the residency part!
In those circumstances, Aldridge has some brass neck trying to blame McGeeney.

Hardy

I agree with that. McGeeney only responded to a reporter's question and did so in very reasponable terms.

haranguerer

Quote from: Give and Go on February 02, 2012, 08:44:18 AM

[/b]

Taking that to it's logical conclusion, no rules should apply. And so a player can decide to switch allegiances during a competition; 'I was taken off today, feck them, I want to play with the winners in the next round'....

Explain that one  ::)  Also, what has 'growing up' got to do with it?

Give and Go

Quote from: haranguerer on February 02, 2012, 11:14:07 AM

[/b]

Simple.
There are clear rules about eligibility. You either are legal to play or not.
Growing up means to accept the rules you play under and not throw a hizzy it.
Any player who plays golf the day of an Ulster Championship game or comes into a dressing room and demands a few new young players get out of HIS place doesn't deserve to represent his county.
Too many of these prima donnas coming into the game with their fan clubs in tow.

everymanaman

Quote from: Give and Go on February 02, 2012, 12:14:19 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on February 02, 2012, 11:14:07 AM

[/b]

Simple.
Growing up means to accept the rules you play under and not throw a hizzy it.Any player who plays golf the day of an Ulster Championship game or comes into a dressing room and demands a few new young players get out of HIS place doesn't deserve to represent his county.
Too many of these prima donnas coming into the game with their fan clubs in tow.

What's the suspension for throwing a 'hizzy it?'

LeoMc

Quote from: everymanaman on February 02, 2012, 12:43:44 PM

What's the suspension for throwing a 'hizzy it?'

Apparently none. If you throw the toys out of the pram you just move on to a new club or County.

haranguerer

Simple.
Any player who plays golf the day of an Ulster Championship game or comes into a dressing room and demands a few new young players get out of HIS place doesn't deserve to represent his county.

So, just to clarify, you'd be in favour of the rules been extended to ban players from playing golf on the morning of championship games, and telliing ones to move from their spot in the dressing room? Any others?

Give and Go

Quote from: haranguerer on February 02, 2012, 03:17:59 PM
Simple.

So, just to clarify, you'd be in favour of the rules been extended to ban players from playing golf on the morning of championship games, and telliing ones to move from their spot in the dressing room? Any others?

You're haranging me now.....
Lets clarify something for you apologists making a case for what Clive Woodward called a 'sapper'.
No manager worth his salt in the inter county game would tolerate that behaviour from pannelists, and I'm fairly sure players would have signed up to an agreed code of conduct.
He's another failed intercounty player who thought he was better than he was, that he was something special.
There's a handful of them out there and guess what? None of them play for the top teams. They wouldn't tolerate them.
Remember Mark Vaughan? Gone.
Colm Parkinson? Gone.
Gourty, Gallagher.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

haranguerer

Quote from: Give and Go on February 02, 2012, 03:25:50 PM
You're haranging me now.....
Lets clarify something for you apologists making a case for what Clive Woodward called a 'sapper'.
No manager worth his salt in the inter county game would tolerate that behaviour from pannelists, and I'm fairly sure players would have signed up to an agreed code of conduct.
He's another failed intercounty player who thought he was better than he was, that he was something special.
There's a handful of them out there and guess what? None of them play for the top teams. They wouldn't tolerate them.
Remember Mark Vaughan? Gone.
Colm Parkinson? Gone
Gourty, Gallagher.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Complete bollocks. Managers have tolerated, and will continue to tolerate, a lot more than someone playing golf on the morning of the championship. Just out of interest, what game is that alleged to have happened before (cue you trawling for Johnsons worst game in the last 3 years  ;)? Jack O Connor lived in perpetual fear of Dara O Ses reaction to everything he did. The Gooch and Galvin dont lack self confidence or controversy, and I'm sure there'd be some stories about their behaviour at times, they've done aright. Mugsy McMenamin has certainly been colourful at times, hes still going strong, all of these under the highest regarded managers of their time. Just to point out too, McGourty would be there if he wanted, he was certainly never told he wouldnt be (I assume you're talking about Kevin). If you're talking about what managers will put up with, consider that CJ McGourty is there this year. Rory Gallagher is about 34, not sure he'd still have the legs. Still playing top level club football though, doing aright, and holds the record for scoring most in a championship match. If you mean they've failed because they havent won all-irelands, then is that you making an argumnet for transfers, given that it seems it was in all likelihood that this is becuase of where they were born rather than any reflection on their talent, gallagher may have transferred, but moving to cavan was never gonna give him a celtic cross.

This is all however, digressing. The point isnt that Johnson misbehaved in your view, or anyones view, so he should take his punishment of being dropped. The point is that players should be allowed to play. Whatever your personal opinion of Johnson, and how he carries himself, he is an excellent player, who has got to where he is through talent and hard work. If some manager chooses not to select him, then why should he not be allowed to ply his trade elsewhere? If Johnsons transfer doesnt go through, who wins, apart from bitter hoors who dont want to see him play anywhere else out of spite?