Muineachán V Ard Mhaca USFC

Started by Main Street, May 16, 2010, 06:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: hardstation on June 02, 2010, 10:05:43 PM
Quote from: Ulick on June 02, 2010, 03:44:09 PM
The bowling club is my preference in the good weather (in Fruithill Park behind the Wihitefort Inn). Pleasant surroundings and handy to the bar. Within walking distance, the other options are the PD club (bedlam), the Whitefort (Paragon equivalent), the Felons on Kennedy Way (dark) and Biddy Duffy's (jammers).
The Fiddlers??

I'll be heading for a cider in the Fruithill Bowling Club.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Any craic

http://www.youtube.com/user/UlsterGAA// - 2 mins highlights of Armagh v Monaghan in Jan in the McKenna Cup. I know, I know, it's only the McKenna (freezing Iniskeen ain't Casement in June) but still. Monaghan were doing ok til Clarke and Stevie ran riot for ten mins. I think it was Paddy's first win with Armagh.

Schkite

Quote from: Any craic on June 02, 2010, 11:17:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/UlsterGAA// - 2 mins highlights of Armagh v Monaghan in Jan in the McKenna Cup. I know, I know, it's only the McKenna (freezing Iniskeen ain't Casement in June) but still. Monaghan were doing ok til Clarke and Stevie ran riot for ten mins. I think it was Paddy's first win with Armagh.

That game will have no bearing whatsoever on the one on Sunday, not (just) because it was the McKenna Cup, but because of the teams that lined out. I'd say of the players that featured that night for Monaghan, one will probably play this weekend, 2 max. Can't remember Armagh's full team but it was alot more experienced if still experimental.

I know you said it was only the McKenna Cup and it is the most recent meeting so that's fair enough, just pointing out it doesn't give any indication of what we'll see in Casement.

bingobus

Quote from: Main Street on June 02, 2010, 08:37:33 PM
Banty interview on Talk radio whatever the feck its called.  He was asked about Grimley and what has he brought? any change to game plan?
Banty doesn't react too well when 'change' is mentioned,  a bit of a sharp edge in his reply, dismissing the notion of change (being needed) in the Monaghan game, 'we will be doing what we have been doing well over the past 4 years'. 'That Paul has brought some fine tuning our game, he challenges people,  challenges players, challenges the manager and is a very good coach'.

The rest was pretty much a repeat of the quotes in the newspaper.
'Armagh have the pedigree over the last decade in Ulster GAA and are coming to this game on the back of some good victories.'
I am not going to be building up Armagh, Monaghan have been  knocking on the door and at least we are  still here knocking on the door, Monaghan have no fear of Armagh or the game ahead'

Listening between the lines I could almost hear  Banty  - Lust for Glory,
"we will cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks".

So we can look forward to a disappointing first round Ulster championship exit then?

omagh_gael

Armagh forward Ronan Clarke has declared himself fit for Sunday's Ulster SFC game against Monaghan.
Clarke missed Armagh's opening win over Derry because of an Achilles injury and was not expected to be in contention for Sunday's game in Belfast.
However, he told BBC Sport on Wednesday that he "is fit and available for selection" although it is unlikely that he will risked from the start.
Monaghan will be without injured duo Dermot Malone and Colm Greenan.
Both players were regulars during the Farney County's National League campaign but have been denied the chance to make Championship debuts because of knee injuries.
The news comes as a blow to Monaghan manager Seamus McEnaney.
Greenan has been impressing in the full-back line while Malone has been playing well in the forwards.
Castleblayney man Malone will undergo surgery and is ruled out for five or six weeks.
The winners of Sunday's tie will face Cavan or Fermanagh at the semi-final stage.
Armagh were awarded home advantage in the draw but have decided to play the game at Casement Park.
With Clarke unlikely to start, Armagh's main selection issue may revolve around whether Jamie Clarke will be utilised from the off.
Clarke scored Armagh's crucial goal in the win over Derry after coming on as a second-half substitute.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8715681.stm

illdecide

Glad to see Clarke is available for selection, he'd be a good sub for the last 15 mins when the game is in the melting pot and i'd say the Monaghan full back line would not like to see Ronan and Jamie Clarke enter the fray.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Ulick

Great news to start to the day. See, see what I told yiz all about those negative waves:

AFS

Quote from: illdecide on June 03, 2010, 10:22:31 AM
Glad to see Clarke is available for selection, he'd be a good sub for the last 15 mins when the game is in the melting pot and i'd say the Monaghan full back line would not like to see Ronan and Jamie Clarke enter the fray.

I'm still very sceptical. All the word is that he's yet to take anywhere near a full part in training. I've seen a half fit Clarke fumble and fall about the place enough times over the years to have serious doubts that he'd be much of an impact sub. Some players can get by alright on one leg, I don't think Clarke has ever been one of these.

Main Street

It's a bit confusing when you have 2 Clarkes.

Re Greenan being out through injury, I doubt if he would have started.
More a blow to the lad himself and his chances on the bench.

Quote from: bingobus on June 03, 2010, 09:29:03 AM
So we can look forward to a disappointing first round Ulster championship exit then?
Why? 
Speak for yourself.

bingobus

Quote from: Main Street on June 03, 2010, 11:35:16 AM

Why?
Speak for yourself.

I was only going on what Banty said, that they would be doing what they've been doing in the last 4 years (I like the way he dismisses the first 2 years of his reign).

The simple fact is that, bar one year, Bantys Ulster championship record is terrible. Its a massive failing that this group of players have not yet won an Ulster title. The back door is all well and good but its always going to end at quarter final stage or at best semi-final stage. An Ulster title is the realistic goal for Monaghan and to date, Banty has failed. To do this, he needs massive change and that is why I think his comments, which you quoted, is wrong.

ardchieftain

Ronan Clarke won't be risked. If he aggravates the injury he will miss the rest of the championship.

Starting to get excited now. Nothing beats the championship, forget your world cups etc

passedit

Quote from: Ulick on June 02, 2010, 03:44:09 PM
The bowling club is my preference in the good weather (in Fruithill Park behind the Wihitefort Inn). Pleasant surroundings and handy to the bar. Within walking distance, the other options are the PD club (bedlam), the Whitefort (Paragon equivalent), the Felons on Kennedy Way (dark) and Biddy Duffy's (jammers).

Where would be the best spot to catch the Cork Kerry game (and a few pints obviously) afterwards?
Don't Panic

Main Street

Quote from: bingobus on June 03, 2010, 12:06:19 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 03, 2010, 11:35:16 AM

Why?
Speak for yourself.

I was only going on what Banty said, that they would be doing what they've been doing in the last 4 years (I like the way he dismisses the first 2 years of his reign).

The simple fact is that, bar one year, Bantys Ulster championship record is terrible. Its a massive failing that this group of players have not yet won an Ulster title. The back door is all well and good but its always going to end at quarter final stage or at best semi-final stage. An Ulster title is the realistic goal for Monaghan and to date, Banty has failed. To do this, he needs massive change and that is why I think his comments, which you quoted, is wrong.
Remember I was paraphrasing.
But as you have already demonstrated an inability to interpret direct Banty quotes as written, I suspect that you have some overly emotional reactive agenda in your reply, which anyway doesn't require accurate interpretation of quotes.

I assume you are totally against Banty being manager for this year, that you are pessimistic about any progress and already resigned to another first round defeat.
Just say it out front and we can deal with that, instead of this sniping away like some bitter pundit who has a master plan that everybody ignores.

bingobus

Quote from: Main Street on June 03, 2010, 03:14:48 PM
Remember I was paraphrasing.
But as you have already demonstrated an inability to interpret direct Banty quotes as written, I suspect that you have some overly emotional reactive agenda in your reply, which anyway doesn't require accurate interpretation of quotes.

I assume you are totally against Banty being manager for this year, that you are pessimistic about any progress and already resigned to another first round defeat.
Just say it out front and we can deal with that, instead of this sniping away like some bitter pundit who has a master plan that everybody ignores.

You'd need to take a step back. I actually was very much in favour of Banty staying this year and defended that on here at the time. He deserves a chance to win Ulster and retain his Div 1 status.

Your first few comments on your last post is  ??? Where you quoting Banty or not? If you where paraphrasing him, you outlined that Paul Grimely was appointed not to change Monaghan but a bit of fine tuning. Fine tuning and challenging players/manager won't win Monaghan an Ulster, Banty hasn't had a good run in Ulster bar 1 year? Is that not simple to see? Fine tuning won't change that. The rumoured 50k that Paul Grimley is alot to pay for fine tuning and challenges.

naka

really fancy armagh in this, feel we can do the bizz by at least 4