USFC Round 1: Derry vs. Antrim

Started by whiskeysteve, May 06, 2007, 09:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

QuoteMax has declined to comment on this (maybe a sensitive issue)  , but thought you may be interested.
A wee birdie told me you and him go back a long way?! Even into management!!

Man In The Middle, I gave the reason why I would not pick a team...here it is again...just for you as you seem intellectually challenged. My reasoning seems so obvious...at least to me

QuoteI wont...and I'tell u why...nearly all of the current team have not even gotten us to an Ulster final, never mind won and then go on and won an All Ireland. If you cannot get to even an Ulster final how can they even start to be compared. Lochhart and Muldoon have Ulster medals thats it. Bradley played in one Ulster final in which he was shite. All of the players in the 93 team at some point delivered in big games be it Ulster or Croke park  or against Down/ Donegals(91,92,93,94) who were All Ireland champions.Others delivered in 87 and others in 98, never mind the National Leagues.  For example Mark Lynch has yet to play ONE big game against quality opposition in championship that would make you say...yeah he's there, so how can he even be put in the same sentence. These are the facts...I am not even using attitude as a criteria yet

Will Hunting

JohnJoe, can i just clarify - who is the McKeever in your half-back line:

GK(?)
McKeever, Mc Cloy, Scullion,
Downey, Lockhart, Hinphy/McKeever
   Tohill   Mc Gilligan

Doherty, Barton Lynch
Gormley, Muldoon, P Bradley

imtommygunn

Re all those antrim players not playing - I'm pretty sure that McClean has been having injury problems. O'Boyle only started back to club football this year, Convery is 28 and maybe Jody is thinking of players for the future, Micko and Niall Ward are not county footballers and Magill has never had the commitment. McGourty - more trouble than he's worth though disappointing about Kelly.

Out of the list maybe Convery and Kelly I would like to see there. The others I can see justifiable reasons for them not being there.

johnjoe

Will hunting, in answer to your question, I really rate your number 7 on Sunday. I think by the end of this season youse will all be thinking along the same lines.

i know its premature to compare him with FP, the mo 7 in 93, but Mc Keever has a huge future, right in the mould of the previous Mc Keever. (legend)

Id bet most people on this thread are surprised to see him listed on Sunday, but those who have seen him in action a few times this year are not at all surprised by his inclusion. You saw it here first!

Will Hunting

Yeah, JohnJoe, it's a bit premature alright!! I would also go so far as to say it's madness including Cathal McKeever in a 2007/1993 select!

Not surprised to see him starting on Sunday at all as I named him in a team I predicted earlier in the week. Let's hope he puts in a good performance.

imtommygunn

Am I missing it - what is the Derry team if it's been named?

Estimator

Derry (SFC v Antrim): B Gillis; M McGoldrick, K McCloy, G O'Kane; P Cartin, SM Lockhart, C McKeever; F Doherty, J Conway; B McGoldrick, C Gilligan, J Diver; R Wilkinson, E Muldoon, M Lynch.
Subs: S O'Kane, Patsy Bradley, Paul Bradley, C Devlin, R Dillon, G Donaghy, L Hinphey, J Keenan, E Lynn, F McEldowney, P Murphy, P O'Hea.

Strength in depth :-\
Ulster League Champions 2009

saffron sam2

Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 01, 2007, 08:43:41 AM
Quote from: johnjoe on May 31, 2007, 03:15:32 PM
Antrim WILL make it to the top, but I dont see it happening without Kelly, K Mc Gourty, Dougan, G O Boyle,Micko, Magill, and Convery, etc and this year there are to many rookies learning their trade. Antrim have a 3-5 year plan, and no one is more confident than me re our ability to do this, etc, but we will need all our best players available, fit, and hungry.

Therein lies why we will not overly trouble a poor Derry side on Sunday.  Add Andrew McLean to that list and you have over half a team sitting out for various reasons. Some of the reasons given are extremely weak and you have to question if there is the will to make Antrim force again.  McLean is certainly not the only inter-coutny footballer doing finals this summer - is he the only one to opt out?

We are short at least three of our best defenders (Convery, Kelly, McLean - even possibly Niall Ward).  The forward line is weak with at least 2/3 of the full forward line already booked onto a Boston bound plane on Tuesday.

Unless and until we get players who fully realise the commitment and sacrifice necessary to be competitive in Senior inter-county football, we will wallow in the depths of Division 4 and the Tommy Murphy Cup.

L'Derry by at least 5.

I had a visit from 1/3 of the Antrim full forward line.  He has asked me to point out that I inadverently typed 2 in the above quote rather than 1.  Sorry about that. He also told me which corner he is going to put the penalties as well.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

The Real SlimShady

Bradley isnt named in the 27 but that doesnt mean to say he wont play.

As far as I know you can name 15 subs at senior county level and it'll be no surprise to see Bradley coming on to rescue Derry in the last 10 minutes when they are 5 down to the mighty Saffrons.

Estimator

Quote5 down to the mighty Saffrons

Is that a crossword clue? :P
Ulster League Champions 2009

PlayWithTheWind

Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 01, 2007, 01:21:41 PM

I had a visit from 1/3 of the Antrim full forward line.  He has asked me to point out that I inadverently typed 2 in the above quote rather than 1.  Sorry about that. He also told me which corner he is going to put the penalties as well.

who was the visitor? paddy "hands" cunningham? everyone knows young mcgourty is off to boston and hes not the only one.
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

SuperHans

Eugene Kelly was on the panel in 1993 aswell tho saw no action at all.

If McKeever keeps his head, doesnt get involved in the niggly stuff and cooncentrates on the football he will be a great addition to the team.our half backs dont contibute enuff goin fwd so hopefully he can rectify this.

surprised with Crook startin altho PC has persisted with him lately

Derry to win by 4

Tifosi bianconeri

PlayWithTheWind

its obvious that theres a lot of loud mouths in the antrim camp, irish news knows their every move!
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

CiKe

saffron sam. not sure it's for you to be saying someone has a weak excuse if they're doing they're finals. some may well still be playing but each to their own - I don't think anyone can be faulted for taking a year out to be honest.