Masterchef Ireland

Started by Mayo4Sam, September 08, 2011, 10:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Quote from: Bingo on September 30, 2011, 12:33:52 PM
You think? I think it was the opposite and they were given tasks that were a last chance for them to change their destiny. They've been struggling and they were put on tough sections to redeem themselves and pull it out of the fire as such. The deserts didn't have any actual cooking, so should have been quicker. It was a weakness that they had seen in him and it wasn't going to go away unless he had addressed it.....and he hadn't. The other guy just made a balls of a dish that sealed his faith.

I did think it was unfair that they focused in the crack of his arse....they'll hardly do the same for one for the women.  ;D

Surely in a competition everyone should be doing roughly equal tasks?? It was the first time they were in a working kitchen and some of them had to do a starter for less than 20 people that I'd probably have been able to put up. Wheras of the 2 boys one of them had to produce by far the most popular main course and the only one with any variety ie rare/medium/cremated and the other boy had to produce dessert for everyone ok it mightn't have been cooked but there were something lie 12 different elements to it.

sammymaguire

I thought they were pretty poor in general last night, almost all of them. For "Master"chefs the quality of their cooking was very average. I'm sure it will improve though.  :-\
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Bingo

Quote from: Boycey on September 30, 2011, 01:42:30 PM
Surely in a competition everyone should be doing roughly equal tasks?? It was the first time they were in a working kitchen and some of them had to do a starter for less than 20 people that I'd probably have been able to put up. Wheras of the 2 boys one of them had to produce by far the most popular main course and the only one with any variety ie rare/medium/cremated and the other boy had to produce dessert for everyone ok it mightn't have been cooked but there were something lie 12 different elements to it.

It was clear in the other tasks to date that these two were struggling, the whole idea is Masterchef, you have to test them out and put them in pressure situations, no point carrying them into later rounds when it is clear they were struggling and got through a few rounds casue they got the handy round in the kitchen. Half an hour for 10 deserts in cruel regardless of the elements. Its not the X-factor.

I stand by my reading is that they were given tougher stations to see if there was any hope for them. They didn't exactly set the whole on fire in the hour cooking test either.

Boycey

I'll also stand by my reading that they gave them unnecessarily hard tasks, should be a level playing field every week...

They were the weakest though...

GalwayBayBoy

Yeah your man had a right tough one last night having to cook the lamb with everyone ordering rare, medium rare or medium with about a dozen of them on the go at the same time. Meanwhile your one had to dish out a few goat's cheese potato cakes. Something I think I could have managed myself.

Bingo

Quote from: Boycey on September 30, 2011, 03:01:55 PM
I'll also stand by my reading that they gave them unnecessarily hard tasks, should be a level playing field every week...

They were the weakest though...

He wasn't even close though, from the start he made a balls of it. They can't all do the same. If he'd been given the goats cheese and done ok job, while one of the others were on lamb and made a balls of it, i still think he'd have been gone, as his own dish was shite.

Tony Baloney

Agree with Boycey. That Shane chap had a much more difficult task than the others. For the others a lot of it seemed to be an assembly job i.e. yer woman Bridin had to fry a couple of potato/goats cheese cakes and then arrange a garnish and sauce (already prepared!) around it - that's hardly in same league as juggling over 10 racks of lamb cooked to order plus plating up with the other components.

The Pierce fella had no excuse though.

Quote from: Bingo on September 30, 2011, 01:59:07 PM
Quote from: Boycey on September 30, 2011, 01:42:30 PM

It was clear in the other tasks to date that these two were struggling, the whole idea is Masterchef, you have to test them out and put them in pressure situations, no point carrying them into later rounds when it is clear they were struggling

That doesn't make sense otherwise by that rationale if you did a good job in the first round you would continue to get easy stations from thereon in. Everyone should be given tough stations (cooking to order being tough!) in rotation.

Bingo

I agree it was the most difficult station but i believe it was purposely set that way for a reason for him - it was his last chance to show he could handle the situation/pressure. Was no point he taking the handier one and doing it ok,  it was at the stage of the competition to challenge the weaker ones, allow them redeem themselves.

In other tasks the wee one had issues with a fish dish - she was put on fish last night, her weakness before. Pierces issue in past was deserts, shane had issues working under pressure.

Last chance salon for them, maybe the others standards had been set while these two were given a last chance to do so.

Boycey

Poor enough show last night I thought but I note that once the two weak guys are gone they went back to having similiar enough tasks, well exactly the same task in the second case...

Hard to see how anyone else can win with the fawning they were doing last night over Mary.

Tubberman

Quote from: Boycey on October 05, 2011, 11:08:39 AM
Poor enough show last night I thought but I note that once the two weak guys are gone they went back to having similiar enough tasks, well exactly the same task in the second case...

Hard to see how anyone else can win with the fawning they were doing last night over Mary.

Not so sure.... Mary is back at her 'old' job these days.
Is there meant to a prize of a full-time chef job for the winner?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Bingo

The two weak guys are gone cause thats what they were - weak! Get over it  ;)

I reckon the wee one is well in the running. Mary is likely to blow up at any stage. She just about kept it together last night in the first task - second task really suited her. I think they kept the bloke in last night, just to cause he the only man left, he's been very average every week lately.

sans pessimism

Not a patch on the Aus show (IMO)
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Tubberman on October 05, 2011, 11:17:39 AM

Nope. A trophy and €25k.

I think both chaps want to slot Mary.

Boycey

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 05, 2011, 05:50:19 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on October 05, 2011, 11:17:39 AM

Nope. A trophy and €25k.

I think both chaps want to slot Mary.

It was funny last night went she fecked up the mackeral dish and ended up cooking it under grill instead of pan frying it. The 2 boys were falling over themselves to say how good it was despite it looking like shite.

laoislad

Disappointed Clare Ann got the bullet..I wouldn't mind giving her my bullet.

The Munchkin didn't look too happy when the guest chef was giving Mary so much praise for her stuffed fish dish at the end!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.