Three Hours of Sunlight Per Day Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2013

Started by drici, February 17, 2013, 05:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

straightred

Thought scotstown were impressive today and they could well be one to watch in ulster this year. Good spread of forwards (which was clontibrets downfall - they only had McManus)

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: straightred on October 13, 2013, 08:37:29 PM
Thought scotstown were impressive today and they could well be one to watch in ulster this year. Good spread of forwards (which was clontibrets downfall - they only had McManus)

Don't let Milltownrow2 see that or he'll go all nuclear on ye :P

Schkite

Awful day today in Clones today from a Clontibret perspective - I should start this though by saying congratulations to Scotstown, they were superb and fully deserved their big victory, and I wish them all the best in Ulster.

We really didn't help ourselves though. Most of our players didn't seem up for it, Scotstown were first to most balls and were quicker to them, we had some awful passing and shot selection. It was one of those days where nothing seemed to go right. Scotstown went a few points up and flooded the defence, putting a permanent sweeper in front of McManus, while we didn't use the extra man at the other end. We were absolutely cleaned at midfield and there was nothing done about it, no quick or short ones at all. Then when Scotstown broke at pace there was no answer for them. McManus is the best forward in the county, and showed what he could given the amount of men that were around him at all times, but we've very little else up front, and they knew it. All they had to do was cover him and we had no answer for this either. Then it all went wrong when our keeper went off injured, and our young sub keeper was under pressure from the off and made a couple of unfortunate errors, I really feel for the young lad. When the first goal went in, the game was over with 20 minutes left with the way we were playing. The two goals only widened the margin though, we were well beat even without them.

Again though, full credit to Scotstown, they outfought us in every department. It was clear to see who was the team who hadn't won in 20 years, you can't replicate that kind of hunger. And it was a real team performance, the Hughes brothers weren't even among the top players, best for me were Carey, McCarthy and Morgan who was exceptional throughout. Naturally after 20 years they'll have big celebrations, but if they can refocus for Ulster in a few weeks and go at it with the same intensity they'll have a right old rattle at it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 13, 2013, 08:59:38 PM

Don't let Milltownrow2 see that or he'll go all nuclear on ye :P

Have to say after watching that game today I was impressed with Scotstown and your opinion of them was correct BC1. Hey as you say on the day (based on that performance) they would be a challenge to most teams in Ulster, great forward line and the the defence didn't let up either, Thought Clontibret were over reliant on McManus, class act but couldn't do it on his own, they could have lost 2/3 players during that match such was their recklessness.

All hotting up nicely
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

regal

A summary of those left I believe:

Antrim = St Galls
Armagh = Cross / Cullyhanna
Cavan = Ballinagh
Derry = Ballinderry
Down = Burren / Kilcoo
Donegal = Glenswilly / Killybegs
Fermanagh = Roslea
Monaghan = Scotstown
Tyrone = Clonoe

Quarter final draw:

Ballinderry / Clonoe v Scotstown
Burren / Kilcoo v Cross / Cullyhanna
Glenswilly / Killybegs v St Galls
Ballinagh v Roslea

So who is going to win the ulster club? Can we break these teams into 3 categories:

No chance - Clonoe / Cullyhanna / Ballinagh / Glenswilly / Killybegs / Kilcoo
A glimmer of a chance - Scotstown / Ballinderry / Roslea / Cross
Realistic contenders for ulster & AI = Burren / St Galls

I fancy Burren to come good this year and make the most of Crossmaglen's absentees

AZOffaly

McManus is a class act though. He moves so smoothly and kicks very well off both feet. I hope he gets his All Star this year. Scotstown were far better as a team though, and they had some nice forwards as you say. Who was that #15? He looked fairly tidy and efficient, with a stylish left foot as well.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 14, 2013, 02:35:41 PM

McManus is a class act though. He moves so smoothly and kicks very well off both feet. I hope he gets his All Star this year. Scotstown were far better as a team though, and they had some nice forwards as you say. Who was that #15? He looked fairly tidy and efficient, with a stylish left foot as well.

Conor McCarthy was the no 15.  He was the corner forward on the Monaghan minor team who showed up strongly against Mayo in the AI.  He is a very talented lad and is a real star in the making.

AZOffaly

Ah right. I didn't see the minor final. Yes, looks good. Nice skills base to work from.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 14, 2013, 02:41:22 PM

Conor McCarthy was the no 15.  He was the corner forward on the Monaghan minor team who showed up strongly against Mayo in the AI.  He is a very talented lad and is a real star in the making.

No reply to regal BC1? Plotting Cross's downfall ffs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Cross is the best team in Ulster, but two thirds of the Cross team is probably not in The top three.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2013, 02:54:01 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 14, 2013, 02:41:22 PM

No reply to regal BC1? Plotting Cross's downfall ffs

Will worry about that after Sunday!!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on October 14, 2013, 02:59:19 PM
Cross is the best team in Ulster, but two thirds of the Cross team is probably not in The top three.

Ok with lads out and boys injured, will they have enough to beat Cullyhana? When will the lads injured/holiday make it back? Be a serious dent to any team to lose such players but they have handled the O'gs and other teams so far.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on October 14, 2013, 03:04:19 PM
Surprised by regal's picks.

Clonoe, Kilcoo, Roslea, Ballinderry, Cross, Burren all in the wrong category for me. Possibly St.Galls too.

If we play well, we could beat the Donegal champions in Donegal. That sets up a game against either Cavan's newest champions and Roslea. Bookies will have us favs to reach final, but we aren't firing on all cylinders, I even caught Sean Kelly having a bottle of beer!!!

The other side of the draw will be a war of attrition, whoever comes through to the final will have had to work hard to get there, some cracking games to watch, and I can't see any wide winning margins in them

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2013, 03:11:17 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 14, 2013, 03:04:19 PM
Surprised by regal's picks.

Clonoe, Kilcoo, Roslea, Ballinderry, Cross, Burren all in the wrong category for me. Possibly St.Galls too.

If we play well, we could beat the Donegal champions in Donegal. That sets up a game against either Cavan's newest champions and Roslea. Bookies will have us favs to reach final, but we aren't firing on all cylinders, I even caught Sean Kelly having a bottle of beer!!!

The other side of the draw will be a war of attrition, whoever comes through to the final will have had to work hard to get there, some cracking games to watch, and I can't see any wide winning margins in them

You boys will coast it to the final.  Donegal clubs are traditionally weak.  Roslea have lost 2 key players and probably won't get past Ballinagh.  Ballinagh are in Ulster for the first time after winning their first championship and we now that teams rarely come from nowhere to win the Ulster championship so they can be discounted.  It is set up nicely for you boys to build up nicely and play a team that has come through 2( or maybe even 3 if it is Clonoe or Ballinderry) to tough, attritional games with the likelihood of having lost a few players to injury suspension.