Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 06, 2013, 12:26:14 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on October 06, 2013, 12:18:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 06, 2013, 11:29:10 AM
Quote from: Schkite on October 06, 2013, 01:23:57 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2013, 04:05:45 PM
Quote from: Schkite on October 05, 2013, 03:54:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 29, 2013, 09:17:37 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 29, 2013, 09:11:58 PM
People say that the Armagh championship is one-sided, but other counties seem to have one sided games also.

Ours wasn't, we only won by a point.

Glad we aren't in the otherside of the draw, though it will mean a one sided Ulster final, cause whoever gets out of draw with Cross, Ballinderry, Burren/Kilcool and the Tyrone champions will be odds on favs

No point in the Monaghan representatives showing up for their quarter final then!

Correct

Aye, whatever ye think. Clontibret or Scotstown would fancy playing any of those teams with the possible exception of Cross.

I'm going on form, nothing else, when was the last Monaghan Ulster Club winners?

blayney in 91

22 Years ago!!

What's your point? It's longer since a Down club won it sure! And I don't care that they've been in recent finals, they were never winning those. At least a decade since a Tyrone or Derry club won it either. Look I'm not saying Clontibret/Scotstown should be one of the favourites or anything but aside from Cross I don't see much between the other teams on that side. As usual whoever is against Cross has their work cut out.

Very rarely do teams come from nowhere to win Ulster lately, they are usually teams that have had a bit of form in the Ulster championship and to do so you need to be winning regularly your own County championship, I'm not putting teams down ffs, I just feel that the side of the draw where the Monaghan champions are in will be way too much.

Wild touchy down there in Monaghan, the bookies don't get a wild lo wrong

Mullaghbawn did it in 1995.

You failed to highlight the very first part of the post funny enough,

VERY RARELY
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

We won  in 96 and hadn't won the county title for the previous 10 years, Errigal won in 93 after their first county title,  Dungiven won with no recent history,  same as an Loup, Ballinderry hadn't won a county for six or so years when they won in 2002. In fact only St Galls and Bellaghy won Ulster in the last 20 years and had been consistently winning at county level.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 06, 2013, 09:42:56 PM
We won  in 96 and hadn't won the county title for the previous 10 years, Errigal won in 93 after their first county title,  Dungiven won with no recent history,  same as an Loup, Ballinderry hadn't won a county for six or so years when they won in 2002. In fact only St Galls and Bellaghy won Ulster in the last 20 years and had been consistently winning at county level.

Yes but you had tradition, Errigal were like Mullaghbawn. Look at the teams that are usually in it over past 10 years, Ballinderry, yourselves, Cavan Gaels, Enniskillen Gales, Carrickmore had a run at it, and Mayobridge, It's Burren now. After a while it won't be us for a few seasons as we haven't much coming through. Likes of Loup and Dungiven won't be back for a while
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 06, 2013, 09:59:03 PM

Yes but you had tradition, Errigal were like Mullaghbawn. Look at the teams that are usually in it over past 10 years, Ballinderry, yourselves, Cavan Gaels, Enniskillen Gales, Carrickmore had a run at it, and Mayobridge, It's Burren now. After a while it won't be us for a few seasons as we haven't much coming through. Likes of Loup and Dungiven won't be back for a while

Tradition or not in the last 20 years there have been 8 first time winners of the Championship. The only team to win it before who has won it in the period is Bellaghy. It is absolutely possible that a new team with the right attitude could do it.  If you count tradition as a key then Scotstown are in a perfect position to make the breakthrough given their history of 4 Ulster titles.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 06, 2013, 10:11:45 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 06, 2013, 09:59:03 PM

Tradition or not in the last 20 years there have been 8 first time winners of the Championship. The only team to win it before who has won it in the period is Bellaghy. It is absolutely possible that a new team with the right attitude could do it.  If you count tradition as a key then Scotstown are in a perfect position to make the breakthrough given their history of 4 Ulster titles.

Yes they could, but I'm not trying to blow smoke up people holes ffs, the odds are stacked against them, I'd love to see the underdogs winning titles, but it doesn't happen that much, Good luck to both Clontibret or Scotstown in the final and in Ulster.

The winners in that side of the draw will have played some good teams and will be best prepared for the final, I hope we do well but we aren't playing well at all lately, load of challenge games laid on so hopefully get back on track

Schkite

Milltown, all my original point was was that Clontibret or Scotstown have as much a chance as any other team on that side imo aside from Cross, as usual they are the benchmark. I'm from Clontibret myself, and I'm far from trying to build up the team alot but we've had Ulster club experience, and as bc1 says if you're talking about tradition, Scotstown have it in spades. Obviously it will be very tough for either team to reach the final, and I might have took you up wrong, but I just thought it was a bit dismissive to list all the teams apart from the Monaghan teams. I realise this probably sounds a bit oversensitive at this stage and it's been overblown but I just thought I'd explain!

Anyway all this talk of Ulster is very premature from a Monaghan pov. Obviously I hope we can do the job on Sunday but it'll be extremely difficult. Scotstown are seriously fired up for it, it's now 20 years since their last win which is too long for the likes of them. Promises to a good match for the neutral anyway!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Schkite on October 07, 2013, 04:14:18 PM
Milltown, all my original point was was that Clontibret or Scotstown have as much a chance as any other team on that side imo aside from Cross, as usual they are the benchmark. I'm from Clontibret myself, and I'm far from trying to build up the team alot but we've had Ulster club experience, and as bc1 says if you're talking about tradition, Scotstown have it in spades. Obviously it will be very tough for either team to reach the final, and I might have took you up wrong, but I just thought it was a bit dismissive to list all the teams apart from the Monaghan teams. I realise this probably sounds a bit oversensitive at this stage and it's been overblown but I just thought I'd explain!

Anyway all this talk of Ulster is very premature from a Monaghan pov. Obviously I hope we can do the job on Sunday but it'll be extremely difficult. Scotstown are seriously fired up for it, it's now 20 years since their last win which is too long for the likes of them. Promises to a good match for the neutral anyway!

Yeah I hope ya's do well, we played the Monaghan champions a while back and bar a couple of mistakes could have beaten us in Armagh. That's the way it goes, having won Ulster this year there is bound to be some spring in the players steps I'd say

Schkite

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 07, 2013, 04:26:30 PM
Quote from: Schkite on October 07, 2013, 04:14:18 PM

Yeah I hope ya's do well, we played the Monaghan champions a while back and bar a couple of mistakes could have beaten us in Armagh. That's the way it goes, having won Ulster this year there is bound to be some spring in the players steps I'd say

In fairness yous gave us a good beating that day! We had a few early chances that weren't taken, and then there was no stopping yous when ye got in your stride. Similar to against Cross before that, we were meeting a team in great form on route to the AI title. That's the way it goes though, no easy games in Ulster.

Throw ball

Having watched Cross this year this will be the best chance in a while for another team to win Ulster. I think Cross are down too many top players at the minute. Morgan, Paul Kernan, McKenna and Clarke did not play Friday and Oisin has quit. No team can be the same missing players of that quality.

armaghniac

QuoteMorgan, Paul Kernan, McKenna and Clarke

If you had those 4 players and some of the Cross subs, you'd have the makings of a decent team!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

drici

Monaghan Senior Football Championship Final
Clontibret 0-07  Scotstown 2-16

Tyrone Senior Football Championship Final
Clonoe 3-08  Carrickmore 0-12

drici

Cavan Senior Football Championship Final
Cavan Gaels 0-11  Ballinagh 0-12

drici

http://ballinaghgaa.com/history.aspx

1960 - Unplayed Championship Final

In 1960 Ballinagh Club affiliated a Senior team and in the first round were drawn against defending champions Virginia. Ballinagh emerged victorious and went on to play Cornafean and this was where the trouble started. Cornafean had defeated Cavan Gaels in round one but a subsequent objection meant the Ballinagh v Cornafean game had to be postponed pending the outcome of the Gaels objection.

The final had been fixed for Sep 4th at that years Convention but a bye-law in the County also stated that any team would be granted two clear weeks between their Semi and the Final. The objection was withdrawn near the end of August and Ballinagh played and defeated Cornafean on the 28th of August, thus qualifying to play Bailieboro in the final. Ballinagh had three injuries after the match and knew they were to lose other players who had to travel abroad, so they deceided to invoke the bye law giving them two weeks grace.

Bailieboro objected strongly and wouldn't agree to a refixturing of the game. At the next County Board Meeting on Nov 14th the Bailieboro position hadn't changed and they made it clear they thought they should be awarded the game, even though Ballinagh were prepared to pay the game at any time even the following summer. Bailieboro were duly awarded the match.

Ballinagh lodged an appeal with the Ulster Council and they ordered the county board to refix the final. Bailieboro wouldn't agree to the refixture and were suspended for 6 Months. Ballinagh were declared champions but declined to accept trophies the team had not played for.

FermGael

Sean and Seamus Quigley both got straight red cards for Roslea in their league semi final against Devenish. That should rule them out of Rosleas first round ulster club game.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

rodney trotter