Ulster Scotch

Started by Square Ball, December 31, 2006, 10:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: scud on August 06, 2008, 11:18:43 AM
This is another example of the ridiculous amount of money is wasted in our segregated society - seperate services, facilities, bus stops, oh, bettter give them seperate cultural funds too
Couldn't agree more, but that's what happens when the politicians poke their noses in. Nobody could/should deny e.g. that Irish is a hugely important language, which is a vital part of the heritage not just of the Nationalist population in NI, but also the Unionists. Consequently, it deserves support and consideration from a cultural, educational and even social perspective.
However, imo, neither could/should it be denied that as a Lingua Franca, it has died out in NI and is not ever to be revived as such. Therefore, to attempt to claim recognition on an equal basis with English, purely for political reasons, is imo a wasteful, even divisive nonsense, which flies in the face of reality.
Worse still, this hijacking of that language for poilitical purposes has (predictably) provoked a childish "Themmuns and Ussuns" reaction from the Ulster Scots lobby. As LDA has pointed out, Scots was a language in its own right (arguably still is), so that the Ulster variation might arguably once have been the same in its own right.
However, over the centuries it has obviously been reduced to the status of local dialect (if that), or even an accent.
To attempt, therefore, to claim that it, too, is a "language", deserving equal status with English (or even Irish), is an embarrassment.

It would be great if all of this were left to the scholars, academics and educationalists etc, with support e.g on an evening-class or further education level for those ordinary people who wish to study and practice their language skills further.

That way, the politicians could revert to speaking their own lingua franca, which as I see it, is neither English or Irish, but Rubbish.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Rossfan

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 06, 2008, 12:44:56 PM
politicians could revert to speaking their own lingua franca, which as I see it, is neither English or Irish, but Rubbish.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

5 Sams

Anyone with access to the Irish News do yourself a favour and look at the recruitment section today. There's 2 ads there for "Assistant Editor (Ulster Scots) in the NI Assembly. One in English and one in "Ulster Scots"...I nearly wet myself laughing at the "translation"....sorry I cant post it up here but as a flavour....."Please do not submit CVs" is translated as "Dinnae pit in CVs" :D :D

Pure comedy gold :-\
The Aristocrat Years

The GAA

Quotehae the ability tae gie simultaneous interpretation services tae dae wi ulster scotch

Ulster scotch is either a big laugh the unionists are having or its a shrewd plan to get more dyslexic people into employment

ziggysego

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 11, 2008, 11:36:43 AM
Anyone with access to the Irish News do yourself a favour and look at the recruitment section today. There's 2 ads there for "Assistant Editor (Ulster Scots) in the NI Assembly. One in English and one in "Ulster Scots"...I nearly wet myself laughing at the "translation"....sorry I cant post it up here but as a flavour....."Please do not submit CVs" is translated as "Dinnae pit in CVs" :D :D

Is a knowledge of Ulster Scot required for the job, or can you pick it up as you go along?  :D
Testing Accessibility

Uladh

Quote from: The GAA on September 11, 2008, 11:45:41 AM

Quotehae the ability tae gie simultaneous interpretation services tae dae wi ulster scotch

Ulster scotch is either a big laugh the unionists are having or its a shrewd plan to get more dyslexic people into employment

:D

ziggysego

"Whun lukkin a form, ye maun pit doon name"  :D
Testing Accessibility

ludermor

:)

Christ lads i always thought ye were joking about the ulster scots!

An Fear Rua

words fail me (as they obvioulsy do to the person who created the ad)
Its Grim up North

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: ziggysego on September 11, 2008, 11:47:35 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 11, 2008, 11:36:43 AM

Is a knowledge of Ulster Scot required for the job, or can you pick it up as you go along:D

Ziggy I think it's safe to say that you can MAKE IT UP as you go along!  :D That seems to be what the Ulster-Scots agency does anyway!
Tbc....

ziggysego

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 11, 2008, 01:01:20 PM
Ziggy I think it's safe to say that you can MAKE IT UP as you go along!  :D That seems to be what the Ulster-Scots agency does anyway!

Ama lukkin furwer ta da al earlane fenal.

You're right GDA!  :D
Testing Accessibility

Blacksheep

Crazy, crazy, crazy. Lunatics have taken over stormont.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

An Fear Rua

Quote from: ziggysego on September 11, 2008, 01:04:09 PM

Ama lukkin furwer ta da al earlane fenal.

which of those words means ticket?
Its Grim up North

mylestheslasher

That is some language. I think we should have one in Cavan. I think I'll call it Breffnish. Here is a sample of it...

Ulster scots is a wodious clatty language.

Now, where do I sign up for the grant.

Uladh

Stop calling ulster scots a language. its a bad accent, nothing more