heffo

Quote from: orangeman on July 14, 2009, 10:15:52 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 14, 2009, 10:08:01 PM
Quote from: orangeman on July 14, 2009, 09:44:58 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on July 14, 2009, 07:13:06 PM
Rushe condemns Kilkenny tackling
Dublin's Liam Rushe
14 July 2009

Rising Dublin hurling star Liam Rushe has added his weight to claims that Kilkenny are being given more leeway by referees than others by describing some of their tackling as "dangerous".

Rushe, who was part of the Dublin senior side that put up a creditable performance against Brian Cody's charges in last Sunday week's Leinster final, will renew acquaintances with the black and ambers tomorrow night when the counties meet in the Leinster under 21 decider at Parnell Park.

"I saw the tackles myself and they were pretty dangerous, but we're just going to have to deal with it," the St. Pat's, Palmerstown clubman said.

"If the referees are going to let them away with it, it means we might as well do it as bad and hopefully we'll be let away with it as well.

"It's very frustrating when you see them let away with it and you see Kevin Flynn in our semi-final against Wexford being sent off for a tackle that was nowhere near as bad."

Rushe also rejects suggestions that Kilkenny were only operating at half-steam against Anthony Daly's side in the Leinster final.

"People have said that but Tommy Walsh didn't seem to be taking it easy and neither did JJ Delaney when he had both hands around me. I suppose they raise it a level above everyone else.

"They've brought a new intensity to it and everyone's going to have to match them if they want to get close."

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=114909

No smoke without fire or a case of sour grapes?

He'd have been better keeping his powder dry. It comes across as sour grapes.

Fully agree - he's only 19 though - someone should've told him what to say and what not to say in interviews..
[/b]

Not in the GPA then ?

One can but hope not

Hound

Its amazing though the spin the journalist can put on it to make it look like Rushe is whinging.

"Rushe condemns Kilkenny tackling"  - which he didn't
"[Rushe] describes some of their tackling as dangerous" - a tone up from Rushe's "pretty dangerous" comment.

If the journalist had highlighted Rushe's actual quotes of:

"we're just going to have to deal with it"
"They've brought a new intensity to it and everyone's going to have to match them if they want to get close."

An entirely different spin could have been put on the article.

AZOffaly

Yeah Hound, but these quotes are the ones that sound bad. If they are direct quotes, then he's a silly young fella.

"I saw the tackles myself and they were pretty dangerous, but we're just going to have to deal with it," the St. Pat's, Palmerstown clubman said.

"If the referees are going to let them away with it, it means we might as well do it as bad and hopefully we'll be let away with it as well.

"It's very frustrating when you see them let away with it and you see Kevin Flynn in our semi-final against Wexford being sent off for a tackle that was nowhere near as bad."

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: Hound on July 15, 2009, 09:16:43 AM
Its amazing though the spin the journalist can put on it to make it look like Rushe is whinging.

"[Rushe] describes some of their tackling as dangerous" - a tone up from Rushe's "pretty dangerous" comment.

AZOfflay is right Hound. I can't believe Rushe could be that stupid. Kilkenny will feed off this for 2-3 years starting tonight at the u21 match.

awfulynice

I dont think its a question of sour grapes, a lot of the other counties that are trying to compete with KK have been making this argument for months now.

Not that it holds any water, i think they are subconciously trying to get refs to be harder on KK than on other teams.

I see Tipp, Galway, Dublin & Cork are easily as dirty as KK.

If he is trying to suggest KK were dirty in the leinster final he is having a laugh

INDIANA

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on July 15, 2009, 09:55:30 AM
Quote from: Hound on July 15, 2009, 09:16:43 AM

AZOfflay is right Hound. I can't believe Rushe could be that stupid. Kilkenny will feed off this for 2-3 years starting tonight at the u21 match.
I think you'll find our lads are made of sterner stuff than that. If you think a few newspaper quotes are going to decide tonights game- you're dreaming.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 15, 2009, 09:19:30 AM
Yeah Hound, but these quotes are the ones that sound bad. If they are direct quotes, then he's a silly young fella.

Ach, I don't see a whole lot wrong with them. Perhaps he'd be better to say nothing but I don't see much that would or should upset a Kilkenny person. He's frustrated about inconsistent referreeing and notes that Dublin will have to be as tough as Kilkenny if they are to get closer to them.

INDIANA

Gallant effort by Dublin against a fine kilkenny team. Dreadful start cost us the game. Very soft goals to concede. BIt more cuteness and we could have won it. Huge total to put up and lose. 12 of the first 15 are elligible next year so there is that to look forward too. But one that might have slipped away. Kilkenny though were as clincial as ever.

Hound

Yes, very enjoyable match. A few too many wides from Dublin, and it always seemed we had to work harder than Kilkenny for our scores. So well done to the Cats, the better team on the night. Didnt think much of the ref. Hope Gough and Lambert arent badly injured.

EddieMerx

It seems that over the last few years Dublin raised the bar in underage and now the bloody Cats have raised their's above them.... what a county

bottlethrower7

Maybe I was watching a different game but there was something seriously lacking there for me. There was no bite to the game. No championship intensity whatsoever. There was so much space and the lack of physicality from both sides was unbelievable. Every high ball on the night was contested by 2 lads trying to outjump each other. There was little or no physical contact. Backs were a mile off their men for both teams. Yes, there was some lovely hurling played, but this was a very disappointing game. It was more like a challenge match than a Leinster final.

I'd agree with the assessments above - Dublin had to work that bit harder for their scores. Kilkenny were able to pick them off almost at will. And Dublin opted at stages for that 2-man fullforward line again. Needless to say it proved highly counter-productive.

INDIANA

Wouldn't agree on the physicality- thought kilkenny horsed dublin out of it. I really enjoyed it thought it was a cracking match. Anytime there is a high scoring match the perception is because it was soft. I thought Dublin were too polite really in the tackle and simply won't use their bodies legitimtaely in the tackle area. Where as the cats lamped our lads quite legitimately anytime they got the chance. That was the difference for me.
Dublin are getting to a stage where they won't be hammered by any kilkenny team at the moment no matter the grade. But there is quite a difference between getting close and beating them. I'm getting tired of the moral victories. That was a game Dublin could have won last night.
Tactically on the puck outs we were very poor in the first half with the management telling the players to step back whil the kilkenny keeper hit the ball short to them and they promptly put it over the bar. Very naive.
Chance missed in my view. With Waterford and Clare in the Miunster final that is one chance of an all-ireland gone down the proverbial swanny.

Gold

i was at it--i thought the Dublin centre back was outstanding--is he the boy who has left the senior football panel or the brother? who is older?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

INDIANA

Quote from: Gold on July 20, 2009, 12:02:07 AM
i was at it--i thought the Dublin centre back was outstanding--is he the boy who has left the senior football panel or the brother? who is older?

It is the younger brother who left the senior football panel. Still u21 next year- hopefully not lost to hurling yet.

Hound

Was the older brother, Ross, eligible for the U21 hurlers this year? He came on as sub in one of the senior games so was surprised he wasnt involved in the U21 final - though being over-age would be a good reason!