East wall #Irelandisfull

Started by Truth hurts, January 04, 2023, 11:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2023, 06:16:55 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 11, 2023, 05:09:50 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2023, 02:29:52 PM
Put up the link to their current policy

The one I put up was from a few years ago and they stressed that "THERE WOULD BE NO LIMIT"

They might have changed their minds, but I'd need to see it
It says that SF would not put an upper limit on it. Not that there is no upper limit. In the paragraph just before that, it actually stated around 4-5k this year was recommended. They have went on record saying that we should not only be fulfilling our international obligations, but doing more given our background. I think they could certainly provide more data there in regards to numbers but it's not an open border policy.

Would you view that as open border?

LOL

" It says that SF would not put an upper limit on it. Not that there is no upper limit"

So in other words their position is that they wouldn't put an upper limit.....which is what I said they said
There's a difference. Read the paragraph. They actually state what the numbers Ireland should be operating at. Does that sound like open borders? Because if that's what you class open borders, then yeah, I'm for open borders.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

whitey

It is important to note that Sinn Féin would not put an upper limit on it.

That's what they said

That's not me paraphrasing

That's not my interpretation of what they wrote

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2023, 07:13:35 PM

That's what they said

Put a poll up ya buffoon ... surely the GAA supporting members of the board would give you a cross sectional view? North and south
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whitey

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2023, 07:38:38 PM

That's what they said

Put a poll up ya buffoon ... surely the GAA supporting members of the board would give you a cross sectional view? North and south

I don't need to

We have 2 legitimate polls conducted by professional pollsters

Gabriel_Hurl

tonto1888

Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2023, 07:48:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2023, 07:38:38 PM

That's what they said

I don't need to

We have 2 legitimate polls conducted by professional pollsters

How many people were polled? What was the demographic of those polled? Who conducted the polls?
Why exactly was asked?

JoG2

trueblue1234

That's what they said

That's my point. They did not say there is no upper limit. They level will depend on circumstances. For example they said we should be increasing our intake of refugees during the Ukrainian war. They have not said there is no limit. They did say however that they'd expect us to take in 4-5k a year. Again is that open border in your eyes?

whitey

But they did say it

It's there in black and white

It is important to note that Sinn Féin would not put an upper limit on

Maybe they just aren't very good at speaking English

trueblue1234

They said they wouldn't put an upper limit on it. Not that there is no upper limit. As I've said it will depend on circumstances such as the Ukrainian war where they believe the country should take in more.
Why are you still ignoring my question? I've asked twice already. Is the SF figure of 4-5k open border in your view.

whitey

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 11, 2023, 09:36:58 PM
They said they wouldn't put an upper limit on it. Not that there is no upper limit. As I've said it will depend on circumstances such as the Ukrainian war where they believe the country should take in more.
Why are you still ignoring my question? I've asked twice already. Is the SF figure of 4-5k open border in your view.

They said they wouldn't put an upper limit on it

Yes-That's what they said.

Sinn Fein wouldn't put an upper limit on the number of refugees-that is their stated position on the matter

If there was an upper limit imposed by someone else-they would obviously object to it because as you said "They said they wouldn't put an upper limit on it"

trueblue1234

Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2023, 09:49:02 PM

Sinn Fein wouldn't put an upper limit on the number of refugees-that is their stated position on the matter

If there was an upper limit imposed by someone else-they would obviously object to it because as you said "They said they wouldn't put an upper limit on it"
We're obviously not going to reach a consensus on this. And you don't seem to want to answer my other question so I think we'd be as well parking it.
SF's recent manifesto (2020) has nothing about borders, open or otherwise. So even allowing for your interpretation, it was nearly 10 years ago. Nothing to make me think they support an open border policy.

whitey

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 11, 2023, 10:25:42 PM

We're obviously not going to reach a consensus on this. And you don't seem to want to answer my other question so I think we'd be as well parking it.
SF's recent manifesto (2020) has nothing about borders, open or otherwise. So even allowing for your interpretation, it was nearly 10 years ago. Nothing to make me think they support an open border policy.

So unless they have updated their position on refugees, wouldn't their prior position still stand?

No the 4-5,000 figure is not open borders, but the very next sentences makes quite clear they are opposed to placing a limit-so in essence the 4-5000 figure is irrelevant

More importantly though, would issuing a guide if 4-5000 not be blatantly "racist", if we use the definition being bandied about here

Milltown Row2

What nice sf let in the 2 million you stated  ;D then I'll have to say something  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Quote from: whitey on August 11, 2023, 11:03:03 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 11, 2023, 10:25:42 PM

So unless they have updated their position on refugees, wouldn't their prior position still stand?

No the 4-5,000 figure is not open borders, but the very next sentences makes quite clear they are opposed to placing a limit-so in essence the 4-5000 figure is irrelevant

More importantly though, would issuing a guide if 4-5000 not be blatantly "racist", if we use the definition being bandied about here

I don't believe it does mAke it irrelevant. It's quite clear to me where they believe the level should be. They've given a figure. But we're going round in circles.

I never called anyone racist.