ulster hurling league

Started by Fear Bun Na Sceilpe, January 23, 2011, 07:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Last Man on January 11, 2012, 07:14:06 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 07, 2012, 11:49:31 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 06, 2012, 07:39:35 PM
We used it for that reason. A lot of our players play county for both and county minors who can't play . Its a great chance for managers to run the eye over new blood or lads that have been trying to get on the senior team.

But, when we got to latter stages we did field stronger teams, though not championship team.

I think that the way for most now MR2. We used to take the group serious but found it could force you to peak early in the proper season. Still a worthwhile competition though
We couldnt get any sort of a team out on a Saturday with boys working( or so they say although I suspect Fiday night in the pub is a bigger factor) and the travel costs have put boys off as well.

The 2 o clock throw ins this year are probably necessary th because of the fading light but with players working, involved in coaching etc it will be hard to handle

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 11, 2012, 06:47:49 PM
Quote from: Last Man on January 11, 2012, 07:14:06 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 07, 2012, 11:49:31 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 06, 2012, 07:39:35 PM
We used it for that reason. A lot of our players play county for both and county minors who can't play . Its a great chance for managers to run the eye over new blood or lads that have been trying to get on the senior team.

But, when we got to latter stages we did field stronger teams, though not championship team.

I think that the way for most now MR2. We used to take the group serious but found it could force you to peak early in the proper season. Still a worthwhile competition though
We couldnt get any sort of a team out on a Saturday with boys working( or so they say although I suspect Fiday night in the pub is a bigger factor) and the travel costs have put boys off as well.

The 2 o clock throw ins this year are probably necessary th because of the fading light but with players working, involved in coaching etc it will be hard to handle
It's a bollox of a time for players and spectators.

NAG1

Tony who would go to watch some of these matches anyway!

Granted a sunday morning or something might be a better day for it, but dont think it is about getting people out to watch, was a good idea at the time ruined by the way it was run. Think this is the dying embers of it anyway.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: NAG1 on January 13, 2012, 10:01:48 AM

Granted a sunday morning or something might be a better day for it, but dont think it is about getting people out to watch, was a good idea at the time ruined by the way it was run. Think this is the dying embers of it anyway.
The geographical spread of teams means it is difficult to please everyone. If I get my chores done early on a Saturday the missus might let me away to some of them!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 13, 2012, 02:06:43 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on January 13, 2012, 10:01:48 AM

The geographical spread of teams means it is difficult to please everyone. If I get my chores done early on a Saturday the missus might let me away to some of them!

I hear ya brother. I am still playing in this comp and have been saving up brownie points for months before I drop the bombshell that I am going on a mad trip around Ulster and other places for a rake of weeks- its amazing how easy you pick up things like folding clothes, mopping etc when you have to.

Lecale2

Terrible conditions for the first round of fixtures. I still think it's too early to be playing competitive hurling.

Milltown Row2

Played Carrickmore today, Four seasons in one day!! Drag (not really ;)) out of retirement to play today, thoroughly enjoyed the craic, they beat us by 7 and considering the team we had out that was a fair reflection on the match.

John Crossey taking them (Carrickmore) and they are a committed bunch of lads, hope they do well decent team and no dirt
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lecale2

Was up with them 2 weeks ago v Dungannon. As you say good clean hurling men and bearly a word from Crossey.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

really think this competition will need to be moved to make it worthwhile, the last 3 weeks have been a joke, the pitches are terrible and with most teams only out a few weeks the hurling can be dire and absolutely no reflection on how the teams would look in 2 monhs from now

NAG1

Tough call as in a few weeks time the pitches might be better but the leagues will be up and running and the clubs dont want two games a weekend.

Minder

We beat Ballygalget pretty convincingly in the end, they will struggle in Div 1 this year I think.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Lecale2

They've lost a couple of key men to Australia.

johnneycool

Quote from: Minder on February 25, 2012, 09:27:13 PM
We beat Ballygalget pretty convincingly in the end, they will struggle in Div 1 this year I think.

Yeah, going to be a long year for us. Few lads off to Australia and another few not bothering their arse for various reasons, laziness being the obvious one.

We'd hit some bad wides and weak shots when going for goals at the end. Would have took the bad look off the result but Glenariffe were much the better team.

Lost a lad to a boken nose even before the game began. Got hit on the nose with a ball in the warm up!! Those pakistani balls are pretty hard.

Minder

Our boys gave the Shams a decent game today before losing, guard of honour and all. Probably about 5 of their starting line up from last week.

Dan Shanahan of all people was an interested spectator.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Could you say that you're better than Coolderry then Minder?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea