ulster hurling league

Started by Fear Bun Na Sceilpe, January 23, 2011, 07:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Last Man on February 17, 2011, 10:04:25 PM
Is Sean Wade still F Fwd??

Christ Last Man Sean must be your age ;) ;)

you giving it another rattle this year?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

THE DADGA

anyone elses games cancelled because of the fuckin weather

Minder

Quote from: THE DADGA on February 18, 2011, 11:44:46 PM
anyone elses games cancelled because of the fuckin weather

Ballycran v Glenariffe off due to waterlogged pitch.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 17, 2011, 10:20:38 PM
Quote from: Last Man on February 17, 2011, 10:04:25 PM
Is Sean Wade still F Fwd??

Christ Last Man Sean must be your age ;) ;)

you giving it another rattle this year?
;D I knew that might provoke a smart remark from you Milltown, if memory serves me right I think he's a year older than me ;)
I think the curtains have been drawn on my illustrious career, there's just no demand for my lumbering cart horse style any more, might try getting a few reserve games if I'm lucky. We'll see

Lecale2

Any results? In Div 3 Bredagh beat Carrickmore 1-17 to 1-10. Tir Nn nOg beat St Gall's 2-8 to 1-5.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Lecale2 on February 19, 2011, 07:53:10 PM
Any results? In Div 3 Bredagh beat Carrickmore 1-17 to 1-10. Tir Nn nOg beat St Gall's 2-8 to 1-5.
#

good result for bredagh but im sure carrickmore would only be playing their reserves in this league, its probably more about development of players oustside the county panel for them.

Some clubs can be at a big disadvantage in Ulster League if they cant play their county players

Minder

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 19, 2011, 08:59:18 PM
#

good result for bredagh but im sure carrickmore would only be playing their reserves in this league, its probably more about development of players oustside the county panel for them.

Some clubs can be at a big disadvantage in Ulster League if they cant play their county players

I'm not sure it is a disadvantage, it is a good opportunity for clubs to give younger/fringe players a runout. I don't think any of the bigger teams are that bothered if they win it or not.

Lecale2

It's pre season tournament and most clubs field young or weakened teams. Saturday afternoon isn't ideal either with work and soccer committments.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Minder on February 19, 2011, 09:27:18 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 19, 2011, 08:59:18 PM
#

I'm not sure it is a disadvantage, it is a good opportunity for clubs to give younger/fringe players a runout. I don't think any of the bigger teams are that bothered if they win it or not.

I think you are right-the further down the divisions you go the more serious the teams take it be cause it might be the only competition they get at their own level.

The big clubs who have big numbers use it wisely as a development league

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

This is relaunched this year under the new name of the Táin League and now includes teams from Connacht and Leinster. But with it starting in 4 weeks and most clubs not back at training, do clubs now use this as a pre-season or just for blooding new players?

Milltown Row2

We used it for that reason. A lot of our players play county for both and county minors who can't play . Its a great chance for managers to run the eye over new blood or lads that have been trying to get on the senior team.

But, when we got to latter stages we did field stronger teams, though not championship team.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

maxpower

I agree with this competition, certainly think it is worth pursuing but need all the big teams in, the two division 1's have 4 teams in the lower divisions within the Antrim leagues, a case can be made for Glenarrife but do glenarm, lamh derg and St pauls justify the top league, don't see Ballycastle,
Cushendall, St Galls or St Johns
What happens next????

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 06, 2012, 07:39:35 PM
We used it for that reason. A lot of our players play county for both and county minors who can't play . Its a great chance for managers to run the eye over new blood or lads that have been trying to get on the senior team.

But, when we got to latter stages we did field stronger teams, though not championship team.

I think that the way for most now MR2. We used to take the group serious but found it could force you to peak early in the proper season. Still a worthwhile competition though

Last Man

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 07, 2012, 11:49:31 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 06, 2012, 07:39:35 PM

I think that the way for most now MR2. We used to take the group serious but found it could force you to peak early in the proper season. Still a worthwhile competition though
We couldnt get any sort of a team out on a Saturday with boys working( or so they say although I suspect Fiday night in the pub is a bigger factor) and the travel costs have put boys off as well.