Voting closed: March 03, 2015, 02:53:23 PM

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 10, 2015, 11:28:58 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 10, 2015, 11:24:53 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 10, 2015, 11:00:01 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 10, 2015, 09:42:50 AM
Quote from: seafoid on March 09, 2015, 06:10:20 PM
Quote from: Down Follower on March 09, 2015, 05:22:29 PM
Its hard to say. With Ulster teams, anyone can beat anyone on the day, look at the Derry/Tyrone/Donegal/Monaghan results against each other. Its Dog eat Dog. So if for example, Down or Cavan went up, they would have a 50/50 shot against whatever Ulster teams remain in Div 1 (eg Down beat Donegal and drew with Monaghan last year in Div 2). I agree though they would struggle against the rest of the teams. Looking at it, with the exception of maybe Armagh, the leagues really do show where your team is at in fairness. Very hard to argue that Down/Galway/Roscommon etc should be anything but Div 2 for example, or that Monaghan/Derry arent in the top 8 etc.

I think Galway have come on a good bit from last year and another year would bring them on even more. Last year they had zero points after 3 matches. Monaghan were division 3 recently and went up to d1 and stayed up.
D2 only says your country is in the top 50% of teams which isn't saying much.

This is Monaghan's first year in Div 1 but they are performing admirably getting good away results to Tyrone and Donegal. 2 successive promotions from Div 3 got them there, goes to show what a good manager can bring to the table.

In fairness plenty of the Monaghan panel has Div 1 experience it was poor management and successive relegations that got into Div 3.

You've basically called them Longford on steroids.
Longford were what one year in Div 2 and zero points?

Longford yo-yo up and down the divisions.

ross4life

Quote from: Rossfan on March 10, 2015, 10:43:51 AM
Cavan and Ros on the other hand were real D3 teams.
A little soon to coming to the conclusion Rossfan. Will know for sure on April 5th i suppose. Must remember both ourselves & Cavan were promoted after just 5 games last year the step up to Div 2 as expected much tougher.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

I meant as in we'd been there a good while as opposed to Monaghan who kind of dropped down for a flying visit.I certainly hope we can survive in D2 and leave D3 ness behind......although we certainly revisited it on Sunday.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on March 11, 2015, 12:43:38 AM
I meant as in we'd been there a good while as opposed to Monaghan who kind of dropped down for a flying visit.I certainly hope we can survive in D2 and leave D3 ness behind......although we certainly revisited it on Sunday.
If Ros can hang on in D2 it will be a big sign of progress and far more impressive than winning th'oul FBD.
4 hard matches ahead. 

Thewildcat

poor result for the rossies at the weekend beaten well by a poor laois side.

Shrewdness

I see in the local media in Ros, where an esteemed former Roscommon player writing in his weekly column, has taken issue with what he claims was the verbal abuse of some of the Roscommon players in Portlaoise by some Roscommon supporters in the stand..Due to work, i wasn't at the game myself, so i can't offer an opinion one way or the other. I know 2 lads who were there, but they said apart from a few moans and groans at some wides and misplaced passes, there was nothing else that you wouldn't hear at an U-12 game.. Did any of the other Ros posters hear anything over and above what happens at most games?

larryin89

Quote from: Shrewdness on March 12, 2015, 05:34:15 PM
I see in the local media in Ros, where an esteemed former Roscommon player writing in his weekly column, has taken issue with what he claims was the verbal abuse of some of the Roscommon players in Portlaoise by some Roscommon supporters in the stand..Due to work, i wasn't at the game myself, so i can't offer an opinion one way or the other. I know 2 lads who were there, but they said apart from a few moans and groans at some wides and misplaced passes, there was nothing else that you wouldn't hear at an U-12 game.. Did any of the other Ros posters hear anything over and above what happens at most games?

It could get a lot worse as the support base in roscommon are truly convinced they are on the road to massive things. I don't envy that squad if they were to do something like get an unmerciful hiding in a connacht final off Galway or whoever this year. " the best is yet to come "
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

GAA supporters vacillate towards sucidal after almost any loss. Player x is shite because he missed a tackle or a point, player y isn't up to the required standard, even if the same player played lights out the week before etc. I hope the young lads know how fickle any county's supporters are.

giveballaghback

I was at the game right in the middle of the ros support and can honestly say I did not hear any abuse from the rossies, indeed when the subs were being made every player being withdrawn got a generous round of applause even though some of them had not covered themselves in glory on the day, It was Tony Mcmanus wrote the article and I am sure Tony would not say it if it did not happen, but there are ahos in every county, if I was near any of them and heard abuse I would challenge them as every right minded supporter should, enough said about that, really looking forward to Newbridge on Sun, I feel we will lift our performance but it remains to be seen if its good enough or not, I think it will as I watched Kildare game v Cavan on tele last Sat eve and it looked a very disjointed affair,but as we have seen things change and form changes from week to week so heres hoping for a good result. Come on the Rossies.

Rossfan

Didn't hear any player abuse. Plenty of moans and shouts  of " kick the effin ball" or "pass it forward for f sake".
Plenty of " get in a bloody tackle" and so on.
Mind you I saw a number of Summer type fans ...maybe some of them were upset because we're not as good as Larreejit and others say we are.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on March 12, 2015, 07:22:53 PM
Didn't hear any player abuse. Plenty of moans and shouts  of " kick the effin ball" or "pass it forward for f sake".
Mind you I saw a number of Summer type fans ...maybe some of them were upset because we're not as good as Larreejit and others say we are.
You do have more than your fair share of "agriculturals" amongst your supporters. However, over 90% in my experience are as good as you could find anywhere.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

larryin89

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 12, 2015, 07:33:24 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 12, 2015, 07:22:53 PM
You do have more than your fair share of "agriculturals" amongst your supporters. However, over 90% in my experience are as good as you could find anywhere.

Not sure about what percentage are absolute counts but in my experience any Rossie from the far side of frenchpark are 100% ,from frenchpark in they have the worst hatred for Mayo I have ever witnessed. Worked with lads from Ross only recently on site , main contractor was roscommon man , workers were from clubs  like clan, ros Gaels, croans etc , I had to remind myself they were actually Rossies ,totally different breed to the ones I grew up with, sound as two pound they were , knew their GAA too.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on March 12, 2015, 06:25:02 PM

GAA supporters vacillate towards sucidal after almost any loss. Player x is shite because he missed a tackle or a point, player y isn't up to the required standard, even if the same play played lights out the week before etc. I hope the young lads know how fickle any county's supporters are.
Especially in Connacht . Galway hurling supporters are nearly as nihilistic as Mayo fans.

GaillimhIarthair

Galway team named for the Cavan match on Sunday in Pearse Stadium @ 12.45

Manus Breathnach
Johnny Duane
Finian Hanley
Cathal Sweeney
Paul Varley
Garreth Bradshaw
Gary O'Donnell
Fiontán Ó Curraoin
Enda Tierney
Sean Denvir
Michael Martin
Damien Comer
Danny Cummins
Paul Conroy
Adrian Varley

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on March 13, 2015, 10:37:35 AM
Galway team named for the Cavan match on Sunday in Pearse Stadium @ 12.45

Manus Breathnach
Johnny Duane
Finian Hanley
Cathal Sweeney
Paul Varley
Garreth Bradshaw
Gary O'Donnell
Fiontán Ó Curraoin
Enda Tierney
Sean Denvir
Michael Martin
Damien Comer
Danny Cummins
Paul Conroy
Adrian Varley

Any word on the injury Sweeney picked up?