3 (2.4%)
Kildare
24 (19.4%)
Down
34 (27.4%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: March 03, 2015, 02:53:23 PM

Mourne Rover

The summary above from An Fhairche Abu was fair enough, and there is no doubt that Galway deserved something from the game in Newry, but the suggestion that Down made a switch after only ten minutes because of Galway's midfield dominance is wrong. McArdle had take a heavy knock in our previous match against Cavan, still managed to start on Sunday but was in no position to continue after his first tackle.

Galway were in control at midfield for most of the afternoon, and provided a brilliant supply line to Cummins, who tortured our defence until he was amazingly taken off with 15 minutes left. He had missed a couple of chances, but he won every ball that went down his wing and Galway's tactical plan seemed to collapse when he was replaced. If Galway don't need him any more, he is probably qualified to play for Down through his legendary grandfather Patsy O'Hagan, and we will readily take him on board.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Mourne Rover on March 09, 2015, 04:19:58 PM
The summary above from An Fhairche Abu was fair enough, and there is no doubt that Galway deserved something from the game in Newry, but the suggestion that Down made a switch after only ten minutes because of Galway's midfield dominance is wrong. McArdle had take a heavy knock in our previous match against Cavan, still managed to start on Sunday but was in no position to continue after his first tackle.

That's fair enough Mourne Rover, the multiple changes in the midfield area by Down to try and gain some level of control made me think it was a planned switch as ye were getting no change at all there in the first twenty minutes, if the player was injured it's a different story of course.

Down Follower

Its hard to say. With Ulster teams, anyone can beat anyone on the day, look at the Derry/Tyrone/Donegal/Monaghan results against each other. Its Dog eat Dog. So if for example, Down or Cavan went up, they would have a 50/50 shot against whatever Ulster teams remain in Div 1 (eg Down beat Donegal and drew with Monaghan last year in Div 2). I agree though they would struggle against the rest of the teams. Looking at it, with the exception of maybe Armagh, the leagues really do show where your team is at in fairness. Very hard to argue that Down/Galway/Roscommon etc should be anything but Div 2 for example, or that Monaghan/Derry arent in the top 8 etc.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Down Follower on March 09, 2015, 05:22:29 PM
Its hard to say. With Ulster teams, anyone can beat anyone on the day, look at the Derry/Tyrone/Donegal/Monaghan results against each other. Its Dog eat Dog. So if for example, Down or Cavan went up, they would have a 50/50 shot against whatever Ulster teams remain in Div 1 (eg Down beat Donegal and drew with Monaghan last year in Div 2). I agree though they would struggle against the rest of the teams. Looking at it, with the exception of maybe Armagh, the leagues really do show where your team is at in fairness. Very hard to argue that Down/Galway/Roscommon etc should be anything but Div 2 for example, or that Monaghan/Derry arent in the top 8 etc.

I suppose Galway do have a few lads missing with Corofin and they are still a developing team in terms of bringing lads through from U21 while Down have lost a lot of right chunk of serious experience/talent the last while. I just think squad depth is such a key factor in retaining Division 1 status and I don't think any of the likely candidates look like they have enough of it to survive in Division 1.

Both Roscommon and Cavan are only up from Division 3 this year  and it would be a serious jump in quality to go from Division 3 to Division 1 football so quickly and Cavan's lack of firepower would surely be a massive hindrance in Division 1

seafoid

I think Galway have come on a good bit from last year and another year would bring them on even more. Last year they had zero points after 3 matches. Monaghan were division 3 recently and went up to d1 and stayed up.
D2 only says your country is in the top 50% of teams which isn't saying much.   

Rudi

No team in div 2 would cut it in div 1. Down and Galway are the better teams. Any of the rest could be relegated. Fancy Laois to beat Meath, decent team.

giveballaghback

The year Monaghan went up from div 3 Roscommon defeated them in the hyde when a win would have secured promotion for monaghan and ros were without the brigids players that day and brigids were a much bigger part of our panel than they are now. League football is a law onto itself in all divisions and really anyone can beat anyone in all divisions, just look at this weekend, monaghan win after mauling in mayo, kerry losing after overrunning dubs, laois rout rossies, sligo score 2-26 to beat louth by 19pts for their first win leitrim draw with offaly in tullamore and carlow pushing for promotion, the leagues are a great competition where counties can at least have limited success and their day out. Their are no certainties in league football, a little bit of luck is vital.

Itchy

Quote from: Rudi on March 09, 2015, 06:40:07 PM
No team in div 2 would cut it in div 1. Down and Galway are the better teams. Any of the rest could be relegated. Fancy Laois to beat Meath, decent team.

Having seen Down I don't think they are up to much. I expect whoever goes up will come back Down the following year.

mouview

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 09, 2015, 11:28:11 AM
A decent but not great game in Newry – I must say that it was a great venue for getting in and out of being so close to the motorway – with a big wind blowing which Galway had in the first half to go up by 6, Down managed a point more against the wind than Galway and that was the difference in the end.
etc.

Good report Fhairche, tallies exactly with the ones I got from the lads that were there. (I was in Salthill). Big Kev sounded like he was talking through his teeth a bit on GBFM afterwards, you could tell he knew it was a chance spurned. Lot of store been put into the fact that the Corofin contingent will strengthen the team further, I hope it's not misplaced, as the team certainly needs competition for the corner-back slots at the very least. Would also like to see even another couple of forwards pushing through, just don't think Martin will cut it at the highest level and, as stated, Patrick Sweeney isn't the paciest, in spite of his other qualities. Don't think Walsh (K) has too much patience with Walsh (S) and is laying down an early marker as to who's boss. I hope Walsh Minor heeds the lesson as he will be yet needed this year.

Home wins now a must, but not a given. Wonder where the Kildare game will be played if a result is really needed in that tie?

Asal Mor

Fair play to ya Fhairche for the excellent match report.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: seafoid on March 09, 2015, 06:10:20 PM

I think Galway have come on a good bit from last year and another year would bring them on even more. Last year they had zero points after 3 matches. Monaghan were division 3 recently and went up to d1 and stayed up.

This is Monaghan's first year in Div 1 but they are performing admirably getting good away results to Tyrone and Donegal. 2 successive promotions from Div 3 got them there, goes to show what a good manager can bring to the table.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Rossfan

Monaghan also won an Ulster and got to 2 AI qtr finals at the same time.
Cavan and Ros on the other hand were real D3 teams.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 10, 2015, 09:42:50 AM

This is Monaghan's first year in Div 1 but they are performing admirably getting good away results to Tyrone and Donegal. 2 successive promotions from Div 3 got them there, goes to show what a good manager can bring to the table.

In fairness plenty of the Monaghan panel has Div 1 experience it was poor management and successive relegations that got into Div 3.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 10, 2015, 11:00:01 AM

In fairness plenty of the Monaghan panel has Div 1 experience it was poor management and successive relegations that got into Div 3.

You've basically called them Longford on steroids.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on March 10, 2015, 11:24:53 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 10, 2015, 11:00:01 AM

You've basically called them Longford on steroids.
Longford were what one year in Div 2 and zero points?