Galway v Derry 18/07/2015

Started by screenexile, July 13, 2015, 11:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

The black card appears to be a ridiculous decision but in slow motion on TSG a Galway player blocks the ref's view at the exact moment the Galway player tangled his own legs up and fell. Clearly the ref assumed he was tripped by the Derry man. No excuse though as in those type of decisions you'd want to be certain that you're right. Rodgers is bound to be sick missing the rest of the game for Feck all.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Manning18 on July 19, 2015, 11:27:38 PM
Quote from: grounded on July 19, 2015, 11:06:22 PM
Derry were hard done by. Whether the ref's decisions cost them the match is debatable, but he had a very poor performance. McStay tried to blame Derry there, but the Sunday Game highlights clearly demonstrated the ref's errors and the cost to Derry on the scoreboard. To be honest neither side will trouble the top teams but I can empathise with McIvor in this case, even if I do detest the their defensive style.

Thats two apparently solid Ulster sides that Galway have dispatched with a bit of ease. Most exciting forward to come back in aswel. Granted theyre not at the top table yet, but they'll be playing a top side in 2 weeks (Donegal), and will be no huge outsiders in that game. Feel a bit hard done by with the draw tbh, but got lucky last year I suppose
You need help son, McIver's piece was hardly a rant, it had merit. Derry and Armagh are hardly solid Ulster teams, Armagh are in flux and Derry are mediocre at best.

JoG2

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 20, 2015, 02:12:33 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 19, 2015, 11:08:52 PM
Quote from: straightred on July 19, 2015, 11:03:13 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on July 19, 2015, 11:00:36 PM
After all the giving out and criticism of the referee by the lads on the Sunday Game they didn't think it worth while to mention the kick on Micheál Lundy which should have been a straight red for Eoin Bradley?

They didnt show murphys body check on Mcmanus. They didnt show Byran Sheehan's possible black card. They don't get everything but the point was well made - Lane was shocking.

I agree that he gave a lot of soft frees in the game. To both sides. Unfortunately the frees Derry conceded tended to be a lot closer to the posts. Not like he wasn't giving frees to Derry. They had 3 more in the first half alone than Galway did. Black card was an awful decision. Kick on Lundy. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he just didn't see it.

Galway conceded 26 frees whilst Derry conceded 18. I agree the ref was giving soft frees for both teams but that is been completely ignored on here. Galway had the cop on to realise the ref was blowing for everything and were more careful with their tackles in their own half whilst Derry lacked any sort of discipline.

After going 3 points down early on Galway out scored Derry 1-11 to 0-4 points in the next 55 minutes.

These are games we'd have lost under in previous years. Plenty of positives to take to the Donegal game.

That's mighty magnanimous of ye agreeing with a fellow Galway man.  Nothing other the absolute ineptitude and bias is being discussed,  the total foul count is being ignored by everyone but yourself because it means absolutely nothing. 

I've said my peace on it.  Never like talking too much about refs (I reffed myself)  but Lanes performance knocked me over the edge

For Galway to have any chance against Donegal they'll needy start learning how to score from out around the 45.  With the wind on Sat I don't think they even attempted a long range point (I suppose in hindsight they didn't have to)

Maroon Manc

Quote from: JoG2 on July 20, 2015, 02:59:34 PM
After all the giving out and criticism of the referee by the lads on the Sunday Game they didn't think it worth while to mention the kick on Micheál Lundy which should have been a straight red for Eoin Bradley?

They didnt show murphys body check on Mcmanus. They didnt show Byran Sheehan's possible black card. They don't get everything but the point was well made - Lane was shocking.

I agree that he gave a lot of soft frees in the game. To both sides. Unfortunately the frees Derry conceded tended to be a lot closer to the posts. Not like he wasn't giving frees to Derry. They had 3 more in the first half alone than Galway did. Black card was an awful decision. Kick on Lundy. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he just didn't see it.

Galway conceded 26 frees whilst Derry conceded 18. I agree the ref was giving soft frees for both teams but that is been completely ignored on here. Galway had the cop on to realise the ref was blowing for everything and were more careful with their tackles in their own half whilst Derry lacked any sort of discipline.

After going 3 points down early on Galway out scored Derry 1-11 to 0-4 points in the next 55 minutes.

These are games we'd have lost under in previous years. Plenty of positives to take to the Donegal game.

That's mighty magnanimous of ye agreeing with a fellow Galway man.  Nothing other the absolute ineptitude and bias is being discussed,  the total foul count is being ignored by everyone but yourself because it means absolutely nothing. 

I've said my peace on it.  Never like talking too much about refs (I reffed myself)  but Lanes performance knocked me over the edge

For Galway to have any chance against Donegal they'll needy start learning how to score from out around the 45.  With the wind on Sat I don't think they even attempted a long range point (I suppose in hindsight they didn't have to)

It means nothing to you as you've decided it doesn't fit in with your point of view.

He made several poor calls that led to Derry frees but you're choosing to ignore this.

lenny

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 20, 2015, 04:16:10 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on July 20, 2015, 02:59:34 PM

It means nothing to you as you've decided it doesn't fit in with your point of view.

He made several poor calls that led to Derry frees but you're choosing to ignore this.

Im not one to criticise a ref normally but this boy was plain biased in my opinion. I was watching the game with a friend of mine from Dublin. He was neutral and didnt really mind which team won. He said at half time that the ref was "outrageously biased". Even with things like very harshly blowing up a couple of Derry players for over carrying when derry were in good position. Several other times gAlway players seemed to take too long and weren't blown.

DJGaliv

For all Derry's carping after the game, if you are a serious senior club side don't mind intercounty side then you adapt to the ref no matter how rubbish he is.

In 2015 to get frees moved forward for mouthing to the ref, no matter how difficult to comprehend his decision is inexcusable. From my experience playing just senior club or college - lads are f'd out of it and some subbed by the manager for talking back to the ref and getting frees moved into kickable positions. Don't give the ref any excuse to make some questionable decisions.

Management need to have a look at themselves, screaming and roaring at refs and going on a big toys out of the pram rant just makes the players on the pitch think moaning to the ref about their sense of injustice is of benefit or acceptable during the game.

If Derry hadn't mouthed to the ref and were a bit cuter with their game management and not lose the head  then the game was there for either team. Yeah the ref gave a poor black card, and the penalty could have gone either way, but you need to show some experience and cool heads. They didn't do that, and surprisingly the young Galway Division 2 bucks did.