Started by screenexile, July 13, 2015, 11:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Itchy on July 19, 2015, 08:58:29 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 18, 2015, 07:28:23 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 18, 2015, 06:20:22 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 18, 2015, 06:16:29 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 18, 2015, 05:38:59 PM
Real snore fest so far. But with two teams set up to defend and at an extra windy Salthill that's to be expected. Majority of the frees were obvious fouls so I really don't see what the bandwagon developing here is about.

You'd think theee points wouldn't be a great lead with that wind, but it may be a crosswind and that would make it as much a hinderence as a help.
Re the frees
The commentators and sky sports TV pundits don't agree with you let alone the partisans!

Think a visit to spec-savers in the offing for you

The black card wasn't a black card. If it's a newsflash to you that Lane is a picky ref you've been away for a while. Derry are exactly where they deserve to be at this juncture of the match. Too easy to just blame the ref.

Dire game.
Referees are not supposed to make up their own rules.
Consistency on officiation on fouls/indescretions etc should be much the same irrespective of ref.
There should be assessment of refs and such indescretions identified and referees have these pointed out to them post game by hq.
Would help the game, players, refs and consistent officiation immensely.
IMO a video ref for county championship games is required to help refs.

But if your excuse is that the ref is picky for the black card- then I'd suggest spec savers !!

The ref didn't make Derry play sihte in the second half and deservedly lose the match though!

Refs actually are assessed by some Croke park dude in the crowd and get the feedback. I didn't see the game today but from what I have seen in the past year the standard of ref is no better. Big problem is the total inconsistency from game to game. I also believe that some new up and coming refs who are fit and have played some football are being kept down the ref rankings by older lads who are useless but have relationships with the powers that be in Croke park.
I think I heard that too itchy - that there are assessors at games.
That's worse.
I don't see refs improving on bad performances and some have re-occurring incorrect officiation attributes that should be addressed by hq.
I also think we need to give refs a hand in county champ matches with an eye in the sky video ref.
Refs can't see it all no matter how good.

I don't recall any foot block yesterday for any penalty. The rule isn't quite foot to ball /ball to foot- it's whether a foot was inserted near a kicking foot /ball playing limb that would be construed as dangerous.
Only penalty shout I saw was where Hanley as grabbing mcguckin around the waist as a ball came in but mcguckin in turn grabbed the keeper so negated any potential free/penalty chance. He should have been out in front!
I think the rest of the country can see Derry supporters frustrations with the team- it's obv there is talent and capability there but it's hard to fathom why they seem to turn to muck on such a regular basis !

Duine Eile

Great to get the win yesterday, bad game but a win is a win. A lot being said about the referee's performance, yes he was bad and we caught a few soft frees but I don't think he lost the match for Derry like Brian McIver has said. The black card was harsh but as others have said Bradley should have seen red for his kick on Micheál Lundy. Swings and roundabouts!  From a Galway viewpoint 1-2 from play is a shocking statistic, we need much more from our forwards. Cathal Sweeney was a bit sloppy in the second half, couple of passes went straight to Derry men. Conroy was very frustrating yesterday, anytime he got the ball he tried to slow things down and that lateral passing he does and gets nowhere is really frustrating. Gary Sice was fantastic yesterday, he's having a great championship, hopefully it continues into the next game. Bradshaw also coming back to his best with Gary O'Donnell having one of his best games in a Galway jersey. Next game, probably against Donegal, is going to be a whole new level, we'll be underdogs again but anything can happen!

Also delighted to see Shane Walsh come on towards the end, he's had a tough couple of months so it was great to see him back on the field.

JoG2

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 19, 2015, 04:28:13 PM
Great to get the win yesterday, bad game but a win is a win. A lot being said about the referee's performance, yes he was bad and we caught a few soft frees but I don't think he lost the match for Derry like Brian McIver has said.

Points handed to Galway on a plate in the first half along the 13m / 20m line.  Ones further a field being brought into a kick able length (Galway didn't have any man willing or able to hit a point from beyond the 20m line)  so this suited them well

A stone wall penalty not given resulting in a Galway goal second later.  That's a massive swing

The black  card. Derry players being called for over carrying and Galway players not

Lane had a huge baring on the result.  All in all maybe the most one sided / unfair bit of officiating I've ever witnessed. The derry players deserved better.  Any team deserves better than that. 

Wildweasel74

very poor ref but already said we, were shockingly bad outside the first 10mins. Galway play Donegal now, that will be a different level for Galway but Donegal looked very poor in the first 50mins today!

Champion The Wonder Horse

Derry conceded one point from a free against Donegal; they had conceded eight scoreable frees (seven converted) before half-time yesterday. I spoke to an inter-county referee after the game yesterday - he said teams don't change from week to week; you shouldn't see such a disparity as that. The ref was shockingly bad. The black card wasn't harsh; it was wrong. There was an incident in the first half which was the perfect microcosm for the game and the ref's performance. Niall Holly was clearly fouled by Comer, no free was given, Comer then ran towards the ball and was given a very soft free, which was then moved further forward, allowing a simple point.

McIver's rant (and a rant it was) has an element of merit contained therein, but this is quite often his default position. The reality is that neither he nor his Derry team were good enough and Galway thoroughly deserved their win. Good luck for the rest of the year.

Manning18

I nearly crashed the car into an M7 barrier going to Dublin this morn listening to McIver's rant. Howling with laughter. What an absolute clown, going yesterday before he was pushed, an idiot who has no business managing any county side. I felt really bad for some Derry heading off in the rain yesterday, a many hours long trip down to watch that muck. Was talking to one man in the pub afterwards, saying that he despises the way they set up and play more than anyone. sick to his teeth of it.

But anyway, McIver giving out stink about a penalty that wasn't a penalty in any case, some soft frees that the ref was consistently giving to both sides. Conveniently forgot the two early frees Derry got that were perfect tackles? His suggestion that they were robbed is farcical however and just defecting from his own terrible tactics, acting like it was some close 1 pt loss. Take out the first 10 mins when Galway were asleep, and for the rest of the game Galway outscored Derry almost 3:1. Galway were in second gear for a lot of it. The only decision that was unfair for Derry was the black card, which wasn't tbf. Hardly made much difference however, one solider for another to camp out in defense with the odd sideways handpass when they engaged in a bit of handball the odd time. Galway will be annoyed at only winning by 6, margin between the sides felt far bigger than that (don't think Galway were particualrly good either). I suppose in a game like that 6 pts may as well be 20.

Wildweasel74

To be honest i didn't think Galway were anything special, the better team over the game, but theres no way they beat Donegal, if they score only 1-02 from play. Manning howcome so many neutrals on here think that ref was very poor to Derry!maybe you should take the blinkers off!

Manning18

Ive read the thread. Where are all these neutrals? He gave a few soft frees to Galway, but he was consistent in giving those all day. Galway got punished twice early on for nothing challenges, so they copped on and stopped giving him the chance to blow his whistle. Derry didn't learn the lesson. In any case, such was Galways superiority that the referring [performance was fairly irrelevant. I was laughing at McIver inferringn that he cost them a very close game. Derry were nearly beaten by double scores ffs

Wildweasel74

Well Manning if you seen the sunday game there, Dessie Dolan said the ref was very hard on derry, even at that Galway were the better team and deserved their win, and u havent been on here too long if you dont know what counties alot of the posters are from, a fair lot aint derry men.

lenny

Quote from: Manning18 on July 19, 2015, 10:23:06 PM
Ive read the thread. Where are all these neutrals? He gave a few soft frees to Galway, but he was consistent in giving those all day. Galway got punished twice early on for nothing challenges, so they copped on and stopped giving him the chance to blow his whistle. Derry didn't learn the lesson. In any case, such was Galways superiority that the referring [performance was fairly irrelevant. I was laughing at McIver inferringn that he cost them a very close game. Derry were nearly beaten by double scores ffs

They won by 6 and there was a 6 point turnaround with the non award of what was a clear penalty. They showed it there on the sunday game in slow motion and it is a blatant, obvious penalty. Also the black card decision was ridiculous. With those 2 major mistakes as well as the very soft free given to danny cummins to give galway their first point of the 2nd half I'd say the ref played a major part in galways victory. Aside from that best of luck now to galway and i hope they can go on and do well. To me though the ref looked not just inept but completely biased.

GalwayBayBoy

Having seen the penalty incident yet again I still don't think it was a penalty. Hardly any contact followed by an exaggerated flying dive.

Galway got a couple of soft frees for sure but I remember Derry's 2nd point of the game came from a free that I don't think was a free at all. Two of Galway's points came from frees that were moved forward after Derry players mouthed off to the ref. The frees wouldn't have been in range of the posts otherwise. That's just poor discipline.

The black card no doubt was a bad decision.

Manning18

Don't think that was a penalty either. If anything its a square ball, he had one leg inside the square before the pass came. Given how inept Derry's shooting was, no certainty to score the pen in any case. @lenny, would the Cummins free not be completely cancelled by the farcical free in given to Derry in the first few mins? Like I said, the ref was blowing for everything, one team adapted quickly, the other didn't. Black card was wrong for sure. At the end of the day, it's not a sending off though, he gets replaced. Was very disappointed by Derry. They've always been defensive but it's farcical stuff from a proud football county like that. Would like to see them get an open style manager and give it a proper go

Champion The Wonder Horse

Enough said by Dessie Dolan and to a lesser extent by McStay.

Conor Lane should not be refereeing again at that level.

straightred

Quote from: Manning18 on July 19, 2015, 10:56:01 PM
Don't think that was a penalty either. If anything its a square ball, he had one leg inside the square before the pass came. Given how inept Derry's shooting was, no certainty to score the pen in any case. @lenny, would the Cummins free not be completely cancelled by the farcical free in given to Derry in the first few mins? Like I said, the ref was blowing for everything, one team adapted quickly, the other didn't. Black card was wrong for sure. At the end of the day, it's not a sending off though, he gets replaced. Was very disappointed by Derry. They've always been defensive but it's farcical stuff from a proud football county like that. Would like to see them get an open style manager and give it a proper go

Ah lads - its a clear penalty. Whether or not it affected the result is another debate but he was all over his back. No doubt in my mind

Duine Eile

After all the giving out and criticism of the referee by the lads on the Sunday Game they didn't think it worth while to mention the kick on Micheál Lundy which should have been a straight red for Eoin Bradley?