All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

I would add that Mayo need to plan for Barry Moran's introduction to the FF line, whenever it happens the next day.
There should be a raised level of awareness out the field that a tactical shift is required in terms of the delivery into the inside line.
Moran came on the last day and Mayo kept playing the same way bar one aimless hoof in the general direction of the square by AOS from a sideline ball (why was he even taking it?).
If you bring Moran on, use him properly, he's 7 foot tall ffs.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mayoffs

Quote from: yellowcard on September 20, 2016, 11:16:37 AM
I can't agree with Jimmy McGuinness' idea that Mayo need to bring something new. Why? They got their tactical set up correct on Sunday and held Dublin to 9 points and yet he is advoscating trying something completely different by playing 2 or 3 big men inside and bombarding the Dublin full back line with long balls. The irony of Jimmy above all people actually advocating this approach is lost on him. They need to come with the exact same game plan only execute it better. I watched the match again and was surprised at just how many unforced errors were made by both sides and Seamus O'Shea give away the ball stupidly 3 times in a row which had negative consequences for Mayo each time. It's not like Mayo played to their full capabilities, both sides can get better given a dry sod on the day. In my opinion Jim Gavin has more questions to answer than Rochford particularly in the forward line with Brogan and Flynn. Will he stay loyal to the old foot soldiers like Brogan and Flynn who look battle weary or will he throw in Mannion/O'Gara or Andrews from the start who are fresher with something to prove.

The more I think about it the more I agree, take out the 2 freak og's and we won that game by 6 point's, so our defensive system largely worked. If our defender's go in with the same level of intensity and keep the heads there's no reason to doubt they'll have the same success Saturday week. I'm still worried about Boyler though. ......
SOS had a good first half but nearly cost us the game in the second, he was out on his feet. My question is whether he's fit for 70 mins at this level?
JMcG's Donegal tactic is ok as a backup plan.  Move AOS to full, add Moran to the mix and have a couple of forwards in close to battle for the breaks. If anything it could create confusion, Dub defenders double marking could open up a lot of space around the 30. These are big ifs though and this approach might allow Dublin to get their running game going if they were to break out. If Aidan can distribute the ball quicker the next day, then we might get a better return.
I expect no big changes from Rochford really, maybe tighten up midfield a bit. Fenton and Andrews will need minding.
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)

screenexile

Quote from: Mayoffs on September 20, 2016, 12:19:03 PM
I can't agree with Jimmy McGuinness' idea that Mayo need to bring something new. Why? They got their tactical set up correct on Sunday and held Dublin to 9 points and yet he is advoscating trying something completely different by playing 2 or 3 big men inside and bombarding the Dublin full back line with long balls. The irony of Jimmy above all people actually advocating this approach is lost on him. They need to come with the exact same game plan only execute it better. I watched the match again and was surprised at just how many unforced errors were made by both sides and Seamus O'Shea give away the ball stupidly 3 times in a row which had negative consequences for Mayo each time. It's not like Mayo played to their full capabilities, both sides can get better given a dry sod on the day. In my opinion Jim Gavin has more questions to answer than Rochford particularly in the forward line with Brogan and Flynn. Will he stay loyal to the old foot soldiers like Brogan and Flynn who look battle weary or will he throw in Mannion/O'Gara or Andrews from the start who are fresher with something to prove.

The more I think about it the more I agree, take out the 2 freak og's and we won that game by 6 point's, so our defensive system largely worked. If our defender's go in with the same level of intensity and keep the heads there's no reason to doubt they'll have the same success Saturday week. I'm still worried about Boyler though. ......
SOS had a good first half but nearly cost us the game in the second, he was out on his feet. My question is whether he's fit for 70 mins at this level?
JMcG's Donegal tactic is ok as a backup plan.  Move AOS to full, add Moran to the mix and have a couple of forwards in close to battle for the breaks. If anything it could create confusion, Dub defenders double marking could open up a lot of space around the 30. These are big ifs though and this approach might allow Dublin to get their running game going if they were to break out. If Aidan can distribute the ball quicker the next day, then we might get a better return.
I expect no big changes from Rochford really, maybe tighten up midfield a bit. Fenton and Andrews will need minding.

Don't agree... that was Mayo's best against probably Dublin's worst performance in 5 years!

If Mayo want to win the next day they have to try something different. Yes to a degree Mayo stopped Dublin but they played very poorly as well. You can't presume they will play like that the next day again!!

iorras

Quote from: ZeitChrist on September 19, 2016, 07:08:39 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 19, 2016, 05:34:02 PM
I give up. He's an outstanding footballer. A real leader of men on the field. Pin all your hopes and dreams on him for the replay and see how far it goes. As I said, any of you pretending you have faith in him to go out and drag you to an all-Ireland are talking through your holes.

He actually is those things though. You know, I've come across a few people (mostly Dubs) who seem to have a completely irrational hatred of the O'Connor lad and seem to take it in an oddly personal way when he does well. It also leads to them ignoring blatant facts about him. He regularly does his part for Mayo, even if only as a free-taker, and does seem to be a genuine leader within the team. He's one of the steeliest players in the game right now, very mentally strong and regularly takes responsibility when the game is in the melting pot. He's an intelligent kid. Does he have a mischevious streak? Most definitely, as all top inter-county players should and do have. He's a great man to have on your side, probably frustrating to play against. If Mayo finish the job, which I think they will, you can be sure O'Connor will have had something to do with it.

That's because at a fundamental level the Dubs cannot comprehend how such a, in their view, backward arsehole of a place like Mayo, could put it up to them and beat them on a regular basis. They can take it from Kerry, they just cant take it from us and their outrage around players like Cillian, Lee Keegan and others is based on an "how dare they?" type of attitude. Alan Brogan, someone who was in the panel last year came out with his "don't poke the bear" bullshit article which shows what they really think.
Its good though, that along with their antics on Sunday with the delaying exiting the dressing room, leaving the parade early and other general shite around the field shows a surprisingly weak mind set.
If you are supposed to be that superior and really believe you are, well then just go out and win the f**king thing, and stop with the side shows. The fact that they didn't shows once again that we rattle them and it throws them off their game.

Tubberman

Quote from: screenexile on September 20, 2016, 12:32:39 PM

Don't agree... that was Mayo's best against probably Dublin's worst performance in 5 years!

If Mayo want to win the next day they have to try something different. Yes to a degree Mayo stopped Dublin but they played very poorly as well. You can't presume they will play like that the next day again!!

There's plenty of scope for improvement for Mayo as well as Dublin.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

stew

The more I think about it the more I agree, take out the 2 freak og's and we won that game by 6 point's,

That's not how it works, if those don't go in the game is totally different and you might win by six or lose by six for that matter or anything in between, the whole game is different if one of those go in or neither of them do!

I think Dublin should be changing what they do far more than Mayo, another sub par performance and Mayo have them, I hope so anyway, for me, Mayo by a point or two.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

iorras

Quote from: Kurtz on September 20, 2016, 11:54:22 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 20, 2016, 11:26:38 AM
I dunno what McG was at this morning; he had already said that Mayo got the matchups rights, so now he wants them to try something new.
I'll back Rochford's judgement any day over his.
I think neither Horan nor Connolly/ Holmes had an ounce of tactical nous between them and the inability to spot the need to make changes or positional switches cost Mayo dearly during their tenures in office.
Even though Mayo were misfiring right up to the final, Rochford impressed me by his preparation for each game. I think he outfoxed Jim Gavin on Sunday and that's no mean feat.
I'm quite happy with our prospects now.
There was very little between Mayo and Dublin last year and the absolute shambles H&C made of directing play on the field ultimately cost them their jobs.
Mayo felt they could have taken Dublin then if only Holmes and Pateen hadn't left their plans of campaign behind them in their hotel.
The personnel on either side hadn't altered significantly in the interim, so which should Mayo have been overawed by their opponents?
Also, I think Dublin has slipped back somewhat since last year. In the game v Kerry they were in trouble right to the closing stages when Kerry''s ancient warriors began to run out of steam.
Maybe there's truth in the notion that trying to win a two in a row can be put down to mental tiredness but the fact that Mayo were definitely rarin' to go from the start was the major cause of Dublin's subdued display last Sunday.
There's no reason to believe that Gavin will outfox Rochford next time either. The usual suspects who consider themselves to be pundits had Dublin marked in as unbackable favourites the last day and they are at it again since Sunday.
They got it wrong then and they will get it wrong second time around.

Kerry would have won that match on Sunday that is the difference I think between them and Mayo
Oh I see, so is it just their own games against Dublin that they cant win?

highorlow

QuoteIts good though, that along with their antics on Sunday with the delaying exiting the dressing room, leaving the parade early and other general shite around the field shows a surprisingly weak mind set.

Taking about 2 minutes to take a fifty also.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Chimley

Quote from: Jinxy on September 20, 2016, 12:17:46 PM
I would add that Mayo need to plan for Barry Moran's introduction to the FF line, whenever it happens the next day.
There should be a raised level of awareness out the field that a tactical shift is required in terms of the delivery into the inside line.
Moran came on the last day and Mayo kept playing the same way bar one aimless hoof in the general direction of the square by AOS from a sideline ball (why was he even taking it?).

AOS reminds me of the lad we all knew growing up. The bigget f*cker on the team who demands the ball at every break in play even though he couldn't hit a barn door with a shovel and nobody is able to stand up to him. He nearly cost us in the Tyrone match with the free to David Clarke that was very nearly intercepted. He should be banned from taking any free or sideline.

iorras

Quote from: Chimley on September 20, 2016, 12:45:28 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 20, 2016, 12:17:46 PM

AOS reminds me of the lad we all knew growing up. The bigget f*cker on the team who demands the ball at every break in play even though he couldn't hit a barn door with a shovel and nobody is able to stand up to him. He nearly cost us in the Tyrone match with the free to David Clarke that was very nearly intercepted. He should be banned from taking any free or sideline.

On that point I also think sometimes that deep in his subconscious when he gets the ball he thinks he is still an u-16 or minor in that when he gets the ball all he needs to do is turn and drive down the middle and blast it to the net. He still somehow thinks he should be getting 5-4 per game. Which he could if you put a 5'10 innocent full back on him, but its only the mad counties like Sligo and Galway who do that on the odd occasion.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Kurtz on September 20, 2016, 11:54:22 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 20, 2016, 11:26:38 AM
I dunno what McG was at this morning; he had already said that Mayo got the matchups rights, so now he wants them to try something new.
I'll back Rochford's judgement any day over his.
I think neither Horan nor Connolly/ Holmes had an ounce of tactical nous between them and the inability to spot the need to make changes or positional switches cost Mayo dearly during their tenures in office.
Even though Mayo were misfiring right up to the final, Rochford impressed me by his preparation for each game. I think he outfoxed Jim Gavin on Sunday and that's no mean feat.
I'm quite happy with our prospects now.
There was very little between Mayo and Dublin last year and the absolute shambles H&C made of directing play on the field ultimately cost them their jobs.
Mayo felt they could have taken Dublin then if only Holmes and Pateen hadn't left their plans of campaign behind them in their hotel.
The personnel on either side hadn't altered significantly in the interim, so which should Mayo have been overawed by their opponents?
Also, I think Dublin has slipped back somewhat since last year. In the game v Kerry they were in trouble right to the closing stages when Kerry''s ancient warriors began to run out of steam.
Maybe there's truth in the notion that trying to win a two in a row can be put down to mental tiredness but the fact that Mayo were definitely rarin' to go from the start was the major cause of Dublin's subdued display last Sunday.
There's no reason to believe that Gavin will outfox Rochford next time either. The usual suspects who consider themselves to be pundits had Dublin marked in as unbackable favourites the last day and they are at it again since Sunday.
They got it wrong then and they will get it wrong second time around.

Kerry would have won that match on Sunday that is the difference I think between them and Mayo
Yeah but Dublin caught them at the end of the semi game when the likes of O'Mahony, Cooper, Donaghy and Darran O'Sullivan ran out of puff.
I think Dublin would have run the feet off them once again if they met in the final.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

GalwayBayBoy

I think Dublin were caught on the hop a bit by the intensity of tackling and workrate that Mayo brought to the game from the first whistle the last day. You would imagine they should have been expecting it but they just seemed to be a bit below the desired level that Gavin would have been looking for. And it's very hard to turn that switch back on mid-game even though they battled manfully. Obviously this is something I think Gavin will be looking to rectify for the replay. Dublin won't get the OG's again but I don't think they'll be waiting 30 minutes to score either.

yellowcard

iorras

Who does that suit? I tend to forget refs (except for Pat McEnaney, a special place in a bog near Ballycastle is waiting for him), so I'm not sure if we have a grudge against Maurice or not.

Is he a Laois man? That's not good so, he'll be in thrall to the lads from the big city.

ballinaman

Quote from: iorras on September 20, 2016, 02:00:02 PM
Who does that suit? I tend to forget refs (except for Pat McEnaney, a special place in a bog near Ballycastle is waiting for him), so I'm not sure if we have a grudge against Maurice or not.

Is he a Laois man? That's not good so, he'll be in thrall to the lads from the big city.
He waved play on after Cillian got a box from one of the McGees by the canal end line in 2012 final and Donegal scored a goal from resulting possession.
That's only gripe I have with him off top of my head...I'm sure we'll find more  :D