All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Mayo have a chance if they wind Connelly up da feck!! Get him sent off and play against 14 men! Would still be tough but better than what they would against 15 flying fit Dubs!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

iorras

Quote from: ballinaman on September 16, 2016, 07:37:48 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 15, 2016, 11:33:44 PM
Yes moysider. That's exactly how I feel. Ready for and expecting a loss. Mad I know.
I'm shocked at the two of ye, never thought I'd see the day!
That's bad lads, and the problem is the defeatism can leach into the team from the stands on the day, I'm not one who normally thinks the crowd has much of a bearing on things on the field but I think there are two scenarios where it does ,1 Where the fans expect to be beaten and something bad happens, theres a bit of heads down and no fight coming from the stands whereas when they have hope there is a tendency to say "f*ck that we'll go again, start of the second half versus Kerry in 2014, Leeroy sent off, things not going great but the attitude of the crowd was we're going to fight this and the players were in the same mood too. 2. Where a team is expected to win handy and things start going wrong, the complacency that clearly was there leading to things not going right means the crowd get cranky and it feeds into the team. We need not to let 1 happen and hope that 2 happens to the Dubs.
Greasy wet ball, Rock misses a few frees, O'Connor is getting his, Conor Lane is annoying Dublin, the Hill wont be long getting cranky with the boys if that's starts happening. Its not that long ago that they used to fold like a cheap suit, even against us. That is still there of the muscle memory, we need to create a situation that brings it out!

Mayoffs

Agree with above. The supporters need to behind the team from the throw in. I'll be roaring them on again, more so in hope this time. I've been to every final since 89, this year feels like a tougher challenge, that we are really up against a team of excellent footballers at their peak. The heart says us by 3 but the head says Dubs by 2. With a bit of luck and our forwards hitting form on the day, just maybe......
we're on the verge of insanity (the verge just got narrower)

Jinxy

The one thing I'll say to Mayo fans is the players need your support when they're level or a point up with 10 minutes to go more than they need it when they're a couple of points down with 10 minutes to go.
The lack of support for the last 10 minutes of the 2013 final was bizarre.
The fans didn't believe and the players didn't believe.
Don't be looking over your shoulder with the finishing line in sight.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fuzzman

I was chatting to a few Dubs last night at my son's training and I was surprised they were all rather cautious about Sunday. Maybe it's because Mayo don't fear Dublin as much as other teams do now, including Kerry.
I don't know but I think Dublin have not played to their full potential this year either and haven't shown the swashbuckle approach that they did in other years. They seem much more controlled and almost machine like now in how they close out a game. People talk about the meltdown of Cluxton and Co just before half time but I didn't think so. They trust themselves to play their way out of trouble and seemed very calm going into that final 10 mins being 3 points down. They have not scored as many goals this year or don't seem to go for goals like they used to.
I think Jim Gavin is a very driven disciplined manager who knows that if they don't get the two (or three) in a row then it will all have just been talk.

I expect Mayo will find Dublin's defence much harder to break down this year than in other years and the two goals Dublin conceded v Kerry will probably mean the Dubs will be more determined now to not let that happen again.
I've a bad feeling for Mayo that Dublin will come all guns blasting in the first half and then they can sit back in numbers and pick them off on the break with the usual cavalry coming on. But who knows? Maybe Mayo will shock us all just like Donegal did two years ago.

Farrandeelin

Don't worry lads. I shout louder when I think we'll lose. The Tipp and the qualifier games I was at I wasn't as loud as other matches. Know what I mean?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Quote from: Jinxy on September 16, 2016, 11:20:38 AM
The one thing I'll say to Mayo fans is the players need your support when they're level or a point up with 10 minutes to go more than they need it when they're a couple of points down with 10 minutes to go.
Well said.

Beffs

Quote from: Jinxy on September 16, 2016, 09:00:26 AM
This is a lovely bit of writing by Paul Rouse in the Examiner.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/paul-rouse/memories-of-seamus-darbys-winner-my-greatest-day-of-all-time-421279.html

That really is a great piece.

A few years ago, RTE did a wonderful radio documentary about that '82 Offaly team & what their lives were like in the years after they stopped playing. I was driving home from Kerry when it was on, which was very apt. It's probably in the "Doc on One" archives, if any one wants to dig it out. Well worth a listen.

highorlow

QuoteThe one thing I'll say to Mayo fans is the players need your support when they're level or a point up with 10 minutes to go more than they need it when they're a couple of points down with 10 minutes to go.

Similar scenario in last years replay game. Even when AM scored the goal it was as if our fans knew the inevitable result was on it's way. Maybe it was just the fans near me though, not sure.

The SOS incident happened directly in front of me and that completely dampened all the Mayo's in the middle of the Cusack that day.

If we quieten the home fans at some stage it will help, Donegal scared them in the QF and that, i think is because the home fans knew that Donegal have the beating of them, the same should apply for us. 
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Syferus

There's an awful sense of over-compensation by the Ballagh 'Rhubarbs' with the amount of bunting they polluted the town with this month. Must feel a bit threatened.

highorlow

QuoteWill it start?

No. I'd say at least one personnel change in the HF line. As for the positions, do they matter anymore?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Crete Boom

Quote from: Syferus on September 16, 2016, 01:12:37 PM
There's an awful sense of over-compensation by the Ballagh 'Rhubarbs' with the amount of bunting they polluted the town with this month. Must feel a bit threatened.

Threatened by what?

Syferus

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 16, 2016, 01:44:11 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 16, 2016, 01:12:37 PM

Threatened by what?

Touchy